Transfer Credit Policy


The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) awards transfer credits based on defined and published policies for evaluating, awarding, and accepting credits from another academic institution and/or based on established practices for recognizing relevant prior life experiences.


The evaluation of credit for transfer is based on an assessment of course equivalency, evaluation of transcripts, articulation agreements (where in place), and the accreditation status of the awarding institution. UTHSC also recognizes, accepts and awards credit where appropriate for educational experiences in the armed services using the guidelines that have been developed by ACE (American Council on Education - see Military Guide at In addition and as appropriate, UTHSC accepts credits for other types of learning gained outside the traditional academic environment in accordance with the guidelines and standards adopted August 7, 2012 by the Statewide Prior Learning Assessment Task Force in a report titled “Recommended Standards in Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Policy and Practice for Tennessee Public Colleges and Universities.”

Each college, as well as the UTHSC Admissions Office, provides information regarding coursework that is accepted for transfer credit. Most of the programs at UTHSC are at the post-baccalaureate level and the number of credits that can be transferred at the graduate level is limited. In general, options for admission with advanced standing into postgraduate professional programs are limited and dependent on the availability of positions in the class. Details by program are available in the UTHSC catalog and on the college web sites.

Undergraduate programs in the health professions are generally two year programs, equivalent to the third and fourth year of an undergraduate degree program. These programs generally require students to complete a minimum of 60 credit hours of general education credits from another accredited institution prior to admission (official transcripts required as part of the admission process). Students who transfer from a public institution in Tennessee, whether UT or Tennessee Board of Regents, and who have completed the general education requirements at that institution, will be considered to have completed the general education requirements at UTHSC. Students should review the requirements of each program, however, as many are prescriptive as to specific general education courses that students must complete prior to acceptance. Waivers of prerequisite courses and/or the substitution of a course to meet admission requirements require approval by the dean or designee using the form in the PDF Version.

Transfer credits toward a bachelor’s degree are granted only for courses in which a grade of "C" or better was earned. For graduate degrees, transfer credits may only be granted for courses in which a grade of “B” or better was earned. In addition, transfer credits are only awarded for coursework that is at the appropriate level for the program. Upper level credit (e.g., coursework normally at the 300 or 400 level at an undergraduate institution) will not be awarded for coursework completed at a community college. The program director for each academic program, in consultation with the faculty in that program, determines whether or not the level of the transferring coursework meets necessary standards. Students may submit a written appeal of the evaluation of their transfer credits to the Office of the Registrar.

Comparable Quality
Because different programs or experiences do not have automatic equivalencies within a degree program, each case must be handled individually.  This individual attention guarantees that scrutiny is applied to each proposal for credit by the appropriate discipline or office.  Thus, transfer credits as well as credits for relevant life experiences are held to high standards and are ensured to be of a quality comparable to the UTHSC coursework they seek to replace.

Transcript Policy & Evaluation of Transfer Credit

Transcripts from another institution must be official. UTHSC does not accept transcripts issued to the student unless contained within a sealed envelope bearing the official seal of that institution’s registrar. Transcripts to be used for admissions purposes should be sent directly to the UTHSC Office of Admissions. Please check the web site for mailing directions ( Transcripts needed to obtain credit for coursework that can substitute for a UTHSC course, or that could be accepted as partial fulfillment of an academic degree program should be sent directly to the appropriate Program Director/Academic Dean for evaluation; once approved the transcripts will be submitted to the Office of the Registrar along with the Course Transfer form (included in the PDF Version). Transcripts of college coursework completed outside of the US must be submitted for evaluation by one of the following organizations: Educational Credit Evaluators (ECE who can be contacted by email at or through the web at; or World Education Services (WES who can be contacted by email at or through the web at

The UTHSC Office of Admissions will also accept credentials evaluated by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) members. For more information about current members of NACES, visit

The official UTHSC grade point average is based only on coursework completed at UTHSC and does not include transfer grades.

Related Policies

These policies conform to the principles set forth in the Joint Statement on the Transfer and Award of Credit (available at

These policies also conform to the principles set forth in the Complete College Act of Tennessee, 2010 which is available at

PDF version

Approval Date

April 2, 2013 (revised)
May 15, 2012 (approved)


Committee on Academic and Student Affairs

Next Scheduled Review

April 2016

Office of Responsibility

Student Affairs