MERRY E. SEBELIK, MD, FACS
Fellowship trained in Head & Neck Surgical Oncology
Endocrine Surgery of the Head & Neck
Chief, Research Division in Otolaryngology
Director VAMC Head and Neck Oncology
430 910 MADISON BUILDING
910 MADISON AVENUE
MEMPHIS TN 381630000
- Subspecialty Certificate, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery
- Board Cert., Medical College of Wisconsin, Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery
- M.D., Medical College of Wisconsin, Medicine
- Graduate Study, University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Gross Anatomy
- B.S., University of Wisconsin-Platteville, Biology-Zoology emphasis
Clinical Care Specialty/Interest
Dr. Sebelik''s clinical care location is exclusively within the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Memphis, Tennessee. Within the VA, she participates in the multidisciplinary care of patients with benign and malignant disease of the head and neck.
She directs the Head and Neck Surgical Oncology Service, which includes outpatient clinic visits, outpatient minor procedures including ultrasound imaging of the head and neck, major surgical procedures of the head and neck with an emphasis on surgery of the thyroid and parathyroid glands, and inpatient care of the head and neck patient.
In an effort to standardize and enhance excellent patient outcomes, she enjoys interaction with multiple clinical services at the VA, including the Hematology/Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Dental, Endocrinology, Dermatology, General Surgery, Speech and Language Pathology, Surgical Pathology, and Radiology Services.
Dr. Sebelik, a native of Wisconsin, received her medical degree and Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery residency training at the Medical College of Wisconsin and Affiliated Hospitals as well as fellowship training in Head & Neck Surgical Oncology at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX.
She has been affiliated with University of Tennessee Health Science Center since 1999 and currently directs the Head and Neck Oncology service at the VAMC-Memphis in addition to serving as Director of the Research Division with the UTHSC Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
Dr. Sebelik''s clinical practice has an emphasis on endocrine surgery of the head and neck, incorporating surgeon-performed ultrasound into the diagnostic, interventional, and surgery planning stages of clinical care. Thus, she participates in research studies addressing expanded indications for ultrasound use in clinical care and employs ultrasound imaging in translational research.
She has a strong interest in addressing deficits in surgical care in the developing world and participates in the World Health Organization''s Global Initiative for Emergency and Essential Surgical Care. Dr. Sebelik participates in frequent collaborations with training and clinical care in diverse global locations such as Rwanda, Kenya and the Philippines.
Within the American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS), she has chaired the Humanitarian Efforts Committee and is a member of the Endocrine Surgery Committee and International Steering Committee. Along with key members of these and other committees she is active in establishing guidelines for ethical best practices in performance of humanitarian surgery in low-resource settings, as well as expanding opportunities for otolaryngology trainees in surgical mission work.
Dr. Sebelik is a member of the American College of Surgeons National Ultrasound Faculty and conducts resident training courses in head and neck ultrasound. She is a core faculty member for ultrasound instruction at a national level, including with AAO-HNS, AHNS, and ACS. She assisted in developing Clinical Practice Guidelines for performance of ultrasound of the head and neck for the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, which now allow practice certification.
Dr. Sebelik serves as the Director of the Research Division in Otolaryngology at UTHSC, along with John Boughter, PhD, Herb Gould, PhD, Jerome Thompson, MD, and Rose Mary Stocks, MD. Together, they work to optimize the Otolaryngology resident experience in research and provide opportunities for faculty development.
Clinical care specialist/interest
Ultrasound examination and guided procedures of the head and neck
Thyroid and parathyroid tumors
Multidisciplinary management of upper aerodigestive tract benign and malignant tumors
Sialoendoscopy for stones and other obstructive disorders of the salivary glands
Skin cancer of the head and neck
Vocal rehabilitation of the laryngectomy patient
Speech and swallowing disorders
Area of teaching/subject
Ultrasound of the Head and Neck (American College of Surgeons Ultrasound Faculty)
Examination of the Ear, Nose, Throat, Head and Neck
International Humanitarian Surgical Efforts
Gross Anatomy of the Head and Neck, Clinical Lab Assistant
Surgical Skills Workshop
Examination of the Ear, Nose and Throat
End-of-Life Issues and Breaking Bad News
Difficult Airway Management
Professionalism in Medicine
Management of Oral Cavity Cancer
Management of Oropharynx Cancer
Evaluation of the Thyroid Nodule
Histopathology of Common Head & Neck Diseases
Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer of the Head and Neck
thyroid cancer, parathyroid adenoma, humanitarian surgery, global burden of surgical disease, ultrasound applications in the head and neck, professionalism in surgery, minimally invasive surgery, vocal rehabilitation after laryngectomy, surgical skills training, surgical education, endemic goiter, iodine deficiency, human papilloma virus and head and neck cancer, transoral excision tumors, robotic head and neck surgery, sphenopalatine artery anatomy
Thyroid Vascularity in Iodine-Deficient and –Sufficient Rats: Response to Lugol Solution and Bevicizamab. Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2015). Co-PI with Courtney Shires, MD and Vikrum Thimmappa, MD, Aaron Smith, MD, resident investigators.
Does Narrow Band Imaging Improve Margin Control During Endoscopic Resection of Head and Neck Cancer? Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2015). PI with Vikrum Thimmappa, MD, resident investigator.
Validation of Ultrasound to Assess Vocal Cord Mobility in a Rat Model. Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2015). PI with Karuna Dewan, MD, resident investigator. Podium presentation at Fall Voice Conference 2015.
Impact of Resident Work Hour Restrictions on Postoperative Complications for Otolaryngology Key Indicator Procedures, Analysis of National Inpatient Sample Database. Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2015). Faculty Mentor with Aaron Smith, MD, resident investigator and Waters T, Wan J. Poster presentation at 2015 COSM (Triologic). Winner of 2015 Ed Cocke Translational Research Award.
Management of Primary Hyperparathyroidism in a VAMC Health System: Evidence-Based Management Protocol and Future Directions. Quality improvement analysis and clinical practice recommendations (2015). Faculty Mentor with Vikrum Thimmappa, MD, Joshua Wood, MD, Philip Rosen, MD, resident investigators.
Correlation of Thyroid Nodule Cytopathology with Surgical Histology. Quality improvement analysis in single institution (2015). Faculty Mentor with Vikrum Thimmappa, MD, resident investigator.
Impact of Second Malignancies in the Head and Neck Cancer Patient: Analysis of SEER Data Through 2011. Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2014). Co-PI with Courtney Shires, MD and Jessica Somerville, MD and Aaron Smith, MD, resident investigators.
Amygel: A Novel Polymer-Based Drug Delivery System for Treatment of Solid Tumors. Pharmacology Department Funding (2014). Investigator with Elizabeth Barker, PhD, Principal Investigator (PhD thesis defense).
Anterior Skull Base Reconstruction: Does Fat Preparation Matter? Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2014). Co-PI with C. Shires and Joshua Wood, MD, resident investigator. Podium presentation at 2015 North American Skull Base Society Meeting. Winner of 2014 Ed Cocke Translational Research Award.
Hand Motion Analysis of Otolaryngology Trainee Sinus Endoscopy Performance: Stratification by Year of Training. Entellus industry support/Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2013). Principal Investigator with Mitchell Challis, MD, resident investigator. Poster presentation at 2014 COSM. Winner of 2014 Ed Cocke Basic Science Research Award.
Induction Chemotherapy Followed By Transoral Robotic Surgery For Advanced Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2014). Investigator with Jonathan Giurintano, MD, resident investigator. Winner of 2014 Ed Cocke Clinical Research Award.
Sources and Quality of Online Surgical Videos: Using YouTube to Learn Thyroid Surgery. Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2014). Principal Investigator with Caleb Wilson, MD, resident investigator. Poster presentation at 2014 AAO-HNS Meeting.
Systematic Review of Methods of Intraoperative Parathyroid Gland Identification and a Novel Low-Cost Alternative. Sam Sanders Research Foundation (2014). Principal Investigator with Aaron Smith, MD and Shawn Allen, MD, resident investigators. Poster presentation at 2014 AAO-HNS Meeting.
Enhanced Attending Supervision of On-Call Airway Management via Text Images and Videos. Summit Medical/Sam Sanders Resident Research Foundation (2013) Principal Investigator with Blakely Thornton, MD, resident investigator.
Utility of High-Resolution Ultrasound versus Thermography to Measure Tumor Response to a Novel Drug Delivery Method in a Murine Model. (2012) Adjunct to Aerogel delivery study. UTHSC institutional funding. Co-Investigator with Barker E, et al.
Aerogel delivery of antineoplastic agent in a nude mouse glioblastoma tumor model. (2012) Degree proposal, Department of Pharmacology, UTHSC institutional funding. Co-Investigator with Barker E, et al.
New versus Reprocessed Coblator Wands: Wire Degradation and Tissue Efficacy in a Porcine Tongue Model. Sam Sanders Resident Research Foundation and Industry materials support (May 2012) Principal investigator with Shawn Allen MD, resident investigator.
- Wood J, Wilson C, Densky J, Sebelik ME, Shires CB. Anterior Skull Base Reconstruction: Does Fat Preparation Matter?. J of Neurologic Surgery, Part B: Skull Base, 76, S 01, 2015.
- Sebelik ME, Allen SM. Intraoperative Detection of Parathyroid Glands: A Systematic Review and Low-Tech Alternative. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 151 (1 Suppl), P171, 2014.
- Sebelik ME, Wilson C. Sources and Quality of Online Surgical Videos: Using YouTube to Learn Thyroid Surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 151 (1 Suppl), P180-P181, 2014.
- Wood JW, Rosen P, Sebelik ME. Management of Primary Hyperparathyroidism in a VAMC Health System: Evidence-Based Management Protocol and Future Directions. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 151 (1 Suppl), P172-P173, 2014.
- Sofferman RA, Orloff LA, Smith RB, Sebelik ME, Baskin HJ, Abuja AT. Contemporary Ultrasound of the Head and Neck. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 151 (1 Suppl), P12-P13, 2014.
- Sabri, F, Sebelik, ME, Meacham, R, Boughter, JD, Challis, MJ, Leventis, N. In vivo ultrasonic detection of polyurea crosslinked silica aerogel implants. PLoS One, 8 (6), e66348, 2013.
- Tompkins JJ, Sebelik ME. A Systematic Review of Simulation in Otolaryngology Residency Training. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 149 (2 Suppl), P159, 2013.
- Qayyum, S, Meacham, R, Sebelik, M, Zafar, N. Sialolipoma of the parotid gland: Case report with literature review comparing major and minor salivary gland sialolipomas. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol, 17 (1), 95-7, 2013.
- Meacham RK, LeSueur JR, Sebelik ME, Hodges JM. Pathology quiz case 1. Leishmaniasis of the tongue.. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 8 (138), 777-8, 2012.
- Shires CB, Saputra JM, King L, Thompson JW, Heck DH, Sebelik ME, Boughter JD Jr. Histopathological and Postoperative Behavioral Comparison of Rodent Oral Tongue Resection: Fiber-Enabled CO2 Laser versus Electrocautery.. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg (147(4)), 716-21, 2012.
- Meacham RK, Boughter JD Jr, Sebelik ME. Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of the tongue base: a cadaver feasibility study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg (147(5)), 864-9, 2012.
- Sebelik ME, Challis MJ, Lewoczko K, Stocks RM. Surgical Skills of Applicants to Residency in Otolaryngology. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 147 (2 Suppl), P141, 2012.
- Malloy KM, Pinto J, Sebelik ME. Otolaryngology Simulation Forum: A Potpourri From the Cutting Edge. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 147 (2 Suppl), P13, 2012.
- Meacham RK, Sebelik ME. Ultrasound Training in Otolaryngology Residencies. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 147 (2 Suppl), P71, 2012.
- Meacham RK, Sebelik ME. Novel Techniques in Head and Neck Ultrasound. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 147 (2 Suppl), P169, 2012.
- Shires, CB, Saputra, JM, Stocks, RM, Sebelik, ME, Boughter, JD. Effects of sensory or motor nerve deafferentation on oromotor function in mice. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 144 (6), 915-20, 2011.
- Shires, CB, Boughter, JD, Sebelik, ME. Sphenopalatine Artery Ligation: A Cadaver Anatomic Study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 2011.
- Shete, MM, Stocks, RM, Sebelik, ME, Schoumacher, RA. Effects of adeno-tonsillectomy on polysomnography patterns in Down syndrome children with obstructive sleep apnea: a comparative study with children without Down syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 74 (3), 241-4, 2010.
- Shires C, Stocks RM, Thompson JW, Sebelik ME, Samant S. Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma of the Thyroid Gland in a Child. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Extra, 2010.
- Sebelik ME. "I may not be a better surgeon, but I am a better doctor.": The value of surgical missions for residents.. The Bulletin (March), 2010.
- Hodges JM, McDevitt AS, El-Sayed Ali AI, Sebelik ME. Juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma: current treatment modalities and future considerations.. Indian J Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, 62 (3), 236-247, 2010.
- Shete MM, Sebelik ME, Salazar J. Multiplanar CT Reconstruction to Diagnose Lemierre Syndrome. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 143 (2), P167-P168, 2010.
- LeSueur J, Sebelik ME. Oral Cavity Manifestations of Visceral Leishmaniasis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 143 (2), P168, 2010.
- Donepudi S, Childers A, Baddour M, Sebelik ME. Operative vs nonoperative staging for head and neck cancer. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 141 (3), P159, 2009.
- Dhawan SS, Costello TC, Costello AL, Sebelik ME, Olson B, Gaber AO. Non-cutaneous Head and Neck Cancer in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 102, S426-S458, 2007.
- Allen JW, Vasireddy S, Kaufman J, Hughes JM, Sebelik ME, Salazar JE, Niell HB. Feasibility study of capecitabine (cap) and cisplatin (cis) with radiation therapy (RT) in the management of patients with locally advanced unresectable squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (HNSCC). Journal of Clinical Oncology, 25 (18S), 2007.
- Glickstein, J, Sebelik, ME, Lu, Q. Cutaneous angiosarcoma of the head and neck: a case presentation and review of the literature. Ear Nose Throat J, 85 (10), 672-4, 2006.
- Marrs, CR, Sebelik, ME, Hodges, JM. Actinomycosis presenting as a temporal mass. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 132 (1), 163-4, 2005.
- Sebelik ME. Chondroradionecrosis of the larynx in patients treated with organ preservation therapy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery, 131 (2), P63-P64, 2004.
- Staton, J, Robbins, KT, Newman, L, Samant, S, Sebelik, M, Vieira, F. Factors predictive of poor functional outcome after chemoradiation for advanced laryngeal cancer. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 127 (1), 43-7, 2002.
- Snowden, RT, Osborn, FD, Wong, FS, Sebelik, ME. Superficial leiomyosarcoma of the head and neck: case report and review of the literature. Ear Nose Throat J, 80 (7), 449-53, 2001.
- Sebelik, ME, Robbins, T. Management of the N0 neck. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg, 53 (3), 221, 2000.
- Sebelik, ME, Shami, H, Robbins, KT. Postoperative wound infection in head and neck oncologic procedures. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg, 53 (3), 245, 2000.
- Weber RS, Sebelik ME, et al. Infectious Complications Following Craniofacial Resection. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, 1996.
- Millen SJ, Sebelik ME. Management of CSF Otorhinorrhea following Retrosigmoid Removal of Cerebellopontine Angle Tumors. The Proceedings of Middle Section Meeting of The Triologic Society, 1992.