Timothy H. Self, B.Sc. Pharm., Pharm.D.
Dept of Clinical Pharmacy
235 Pharmacy Building
- Pharm.D., UT College of Pharmacy, Clinical Pharmacy
- B.S., University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy, Pharmacy
Timothy Self is Professor of Clinical Pharmacy at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis where he has served on the faculty since 1972. Tim is a graduate of UT College of Pharmacy (B.S. Pharm. and Pharm.D.). He is a preceptor for pharmacy students and post Pharm.D. residents on medicine rotation at Methodist University Hospital. He is the Program Director for the PGY2 Internal Medicine Pharmacy Residency at MUH. Tim lectures on the drug therapy of asthma and several other topics at UT.
Dr. Self has >250 publications, including >150 papers in peer reviewed medical and pharmacy journals; examples of other publications include journal abstracts and book chapters. Abstracts of his asthma research have been presented at national/international meetings, including the American Thoracic Society, the American College of Chest Physicians, and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology.
Dr. Self has provided over 150 invited lectures in 33 states regarding the treatment of asthma and COPD. He has received several teaching awards at UT. As a volunteer, Tim provides asthma education for inner city patients in Memphis, including clinics, schools, and health fairs.
- Self, TH, Wallace, JL, George, CM, Howard-Thompson, A, Schrock, SD. Inhalation therapy: help patients avoid these mistakes. J Fam Pract, 60 (12), 714-21, 2011.
- Woods, JA, Usery, JB, Self, TH, Finch, CK. An evaluation of inhaled bronchodilator therapy in patients hospitalized for non-life-threatening COPD exacerbations. South Med J, 104 (11), 742-5, 2011.
- Self, T, Rogers, ML, Mancell, J, Soberman, JE. Carvedilol therapy after cocaine-induced myocardial infarction in patients with asthma. Am J Med Sci, 342 (1), 56-61, 2011.
- Stapleton, M, Howard-Thompson, A, George, C, Hoover, RM, Self, TH. Smoking and asthma. J Am Board Fam Med, 24 (3), 313-22, 2011.
- Self, TH, Chrisman, CR, Jacobs, AR, Vo, NH, Winton, JC. Preventing emergency department visits and hospitalizations for asthma by use of oral corticosteroids at home: are we adhering to national guidelines. J Asthma, 47 (10), 1123-7, 2010.
- Self, TH, Wallace, JL, Gray, LA, Usery, JB, Finch, CK, Deaton, PR. Are we failing to document adequate smoking histories? A brief review 1999-2009. Curr Med Res Opin, 26 (7), 1691-6, 2010.
- McCoy, EK, Thomas, JL, Sowell, RS, George, C, Finch, CK, Tolley, EA, Self, TH. An evaluation of peak expiratory flow monitoring: a comparison of sitting versus standing measurements. J Am Board Fam Med, 23 (2), 166-70, 2010.
- Self, TH, Twilla, JD, Rogers, ML, Rumbak, MJ. Inhaled corticosteroids should be initiated before discharge from the emergency department in patients with persistent asthma. J Asthma, 46 (10), 974-9, 2009.
- Crill, CM, Matlock, MA, Pinner, NA, Self, TH. Integration of first- and second-year introductory pharmacy practice experiences. Am J Pharm Educ, 73 (3), 50, 2009.
- Fountain, FF, Tolley, EA, Jacobs, AR, Self, TH. Rifampin hepatotoxicity associated with treatment of latent tuberculosis infection. Am J Med Sci, 337 (5), 317-20, 2009.
- Arnold, LB, Usery, JB, Finch, CK, Wallace, JL, Deaton, PR, Self, TH. Inadequate documentation of asthma management in hospitalized adult patients. South Med J, 102 (5), 510-4, 2009.
- Self, TH, Pinner, NA, Sowell, RS, Headley, AS. Does it really matter what volume to exhale before using asthma inhalation devices. J Asthma, 46 (3), 212-6, 2009.
- Usery, JB, Self, TH, Muthiah, MP, Finch, CK. Potential role of leukotriene modifiers in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Pharmacotherapy, 28 (9), 1183-7, 2008.
- Howard-Thompson, A, Hurdle, AC, Arnold, LB, Finch, CK, Sands, C, Self, TH. Intracerebral hemorrhage secondary to a warfarin-metronidazole interaction. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother, 6 (1), 33-6, 2008.
- Self, TH, Arnold, LB, Czosnowski, LM, Swanson, JM, Swanson, H. Inadequate skill of healthcare professionals in using asthma inhalation devices. J Asthma, 44 (8), 593-8, 2007.
- Self, TH, Usery, JB, Howard-Thompson, AM, Sands, C. Asthma treatment protocols in the emergency department: are they effective. J Asthma, 44 (4), 243-8, 2007.
- Finch, CK, Tolley, E, James, A, Fisher, K, Self, TH. Gender differences in peak flow meter use. Nurse Pract, 32 (5), 46-8, 2007.
- Self, TH, Reaves, AB, Oliphant, CS, Sands, C. Does heart failure exacerbation increase response to warfarin? A critical review of the literature. Curr Med Res Opin, 22 (11), 2089-94, 2006.
- Finks, SW, Finks, AL, Self, TH. Hydralazine-induced lupus: maintaining vigilance with increased use in patients with heart failure. South Med J, 99 (1), 18-22, 2006.
- Self, TH, Chrisman, CR, Mason, DL, Rumbak, MJ. Reducing emergency department visits and hospitalizations in African American and Hispanic patients with asthma: a 15-year review. J Asthma, 42 (10), 807-12, 2005.
- Fountain, FF, Tolley, E, Chrisman, CR, Self, TH. Isoniazid hepatotoxicity associated with treatment of latent tuberculosis infection: a 7-year evaluation from a public health tuberculosis clinic. Chest, 128 (1), 116-23, 2005.
- Nguyen, WT, Stewart, C, Fisher, K, Tolley, E, Lew, DB, Self, TH. Maintenance asthma treatment with fluticasone/salmeterol combination via Diskus: effect on outcomes in inner-city children enrolled in TennCare. Allergy Asthma Proc, 26 (2), 129-34, 2005.
- Self, TH, Cross, LB, Nolan, SE, Weibel, JB, Hilaire, M, Franks, AR, Finch, CK, Tolley, EA. Gender differences in the use of peak flow meters and their effect on peak expiratory flow. Pharmacotherapy, 25 (4), 526-30, 2005.
- Redmond, AM, James, AW, Nolan, SH, Self, TH. Premenstrual asthma: emphasis on drug therapy options. J Asthma, 41 (7), 687-93, 2004.
- Self, TH, Sameri, RM. Efficacy of inhaled corticosteroids administered once daily for asthma. Am J Manag Care, 9 (1), 91-9; quiz 100-2, 2003.
- Self, TH, Redmond, AM, Nguyen, WT. Reassessment of theophylline use for severe asthma exacerbation: is it justified in critically ill hospitalized patients. J Asthma, 39 (8), 677-86, 2002.
- Finch, CK, Green, CA, Self, TH. Fluconazole-carbamazepine interaction. South Med J, 95 (9), 1099-100, 2002.
- Sameri, RM, Soberman, JE, Finch, CK, Self, TH. Lower serum digoxin concentrations in heart failure and reassessment of laboratory report forms. Am J Med Sci, 324 (1), 10-3, 2002.
- Finch, CK, Chrisman, CR, Baciewicz, AM, Self, TH. Rifampin and rifabutin drug interactions: an update. Arch Intern Med, 162 (9), 985-92, 2002.
- Chafin, CC, Tolley, E, George, C, Demirkan, K, Kuhl, D, Pugazhenthi, M, Self, TH. Are there gender differences in the use of peak flow meters. J Asthma, 38 (7), 541-3, 2001.
- Holimon, TD, Chafin, CC, Self, TH. Nocturnal asthma uncontrolled by inhaled corticosteroids: theophylline or long-acting beta2 agonists. Drugs, 61 (3), 391-418, 2001.
- Self, TH, Finch, CK. Studies demonstrating improved outcomes in patients with asthma: a 10-year review. Am J Manag Care, 7 (2), 187-97; quiz 198-200, 2001.
- Chafin, CC, Ritter, BA, James, A, Self, TH. Hospital admission due to warfarin potentiation by TMP-SMX. Nurse Pract, 25 (12), 73-5, 2000.
- Chafin, CC, Tolley, E, Demirkan, K, Burbeck, J, Self, TH. Effect of a brief educational intervention on medical students' use of asthma devices. J Asthma, 37 (7), 585-8, 2000.
- Chafin, CC, Tolley, EA, George, CM, Demirkan, K, Kuhl, DA, Pugazhenthi, M, Self, TH. Gender differences in metered-dose inhaler-spacer device technique. Pharmacotherapy, 20 (11), 1324-7, 2000.
- Demirkan, K, Fleckenstein, JF, Self, TH. Thrombocytopenia associated with octreotide. Am J Med Sci, 320 (4), 296-7, 2000.
- Lima, JJ, Mohamed, MH, Self, TH, Eberle, LV, Johnson, JA. Importance of beta(2)adrenergic receptor genotype, gender and race on albuterol-evoked bronchodilation in asthmatics. Pulm Pharmacol Ther, 13 (3), 127-34, 2000.
- Demirkan, K, Stephens, MA, Newman, KP, Self, TH. Response to warfarin and other oral anticoagulants: effects of disease states. South Med J, 93 (5), 448-54; quiz 455, 2000.
- Self, TH, Chafin, CC, Soberman, JE. Effect of disease states on theophylline serum concentrations: are we still vigilant. Am J Med Sci, 319 (3), 177-82, 2000.
- Lima, JJ, Thomason, DB, Mohamed, MH, Eberle, LV, Self, TH, Johnson, JA. Impact of genetic polymorphisms of the beta2-adrenergic receptor on albuterol bronchodilator pharmacodynamics. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 65 (5), 519-25, 1999.
- Self, TH, Chrisman, CR, Baciewicz, AM, Bronze, MS. Isoniazid drug and food interactions. Am J Med Sci, 317 (5), 304-11, 1999.
- Nolan, SR, Self, TH, Norwood, JM. Interaction between rifampin and levothyroxine. South Med J, 92 (5), 529-31, 1999.
- Mohamed, MH, Lima, JJ, Eberle, LV, Self, TH, Johnson, JA. Effects of gender and race on albuterol pharmacokinetics. Pharmacotherapy, 19 (2), 157-61, 1999.
- Solomon, DK, Portner, TS, Bass, GE, Gourley, DR, Gourley, GA, Holt, JM, Wicke, WR, Braden, RL, Eberle, TN, Self, TH, Lawrence, BL. Clinical and economic outcomes in the hypertension and COPD arms of a multicenter outcomes study. J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash), 38 (5), 574-85, 1998.
- Strayhorn, VA, Baciewicz, AM, Self, TH. Update on rifampin drug interactions, III. Arch Intern Med, 157 (21), 2453-8, 1997.
- Self, TH, Strayhorn, VA. Long-term management of asthma. J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash), NS37 (4), 422-37; quiz 437-8, 1997.
- Kelso, TM, Abou-Shala, N, Heilker, GM, Arheart, KL, Portner, TS, Self, TH. Comprehensive long-term management program for asthma: effect on outcomes in adult African-Americans. Am J Med Sci, 311 (6), 272-80, 1996.
- Kelso, TM, Self, TH, Rumbak, MJ, Stephens, MA, Garrett, W, Arheart, KL. Educational and long-term therapeutic intervention in the ED: effect on outcomes in adult indigent minority asthmatics. Am J Emerg Med, 13 (6), 632-7, 1995.
- Self, TH, Heilker, GM, Alloway, RR, Kelso, TM, Abou-Shala, N. Reassessing the therapeutic range for theophylline on laboratory report forms: the importance of 5-15 micrograms/ml. Pharmacotherapy, 13 (6), 590-4, 1993.
- Self, TH, Kelso, TM, Arheart, KL, Morgan, JH, Umberto Meduri, G. Nurses' performance of inhalation technique with metered-dose inhaler plus spacer device. Ann Pharmacother, 27 (2), 185-7, 1993.
- Rumbak, MJ, Kelso, TM, Arheart, KL, Self, TH. Perception of anxiety as a contributing factor of asthma: indigent versus nonindigent. J Asthma, 30 (3), 165-9, 1993.
- Self, TH, Rumbak, MJ, Kelso, TM. Correct use of metered-dose inhalers and spacer devices. Postgrad Med, 92 (3), 95-6, 99-103, 106, 1992.
- Borcherding, SM, Bastian, TL, Self, TH, Abou-Shala, N, LeDuc, BW, Lalonde, RL. Two- and four-day rifampin chemoprophylaxis regimens induce oxidative metabolism. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 36 (7), 1553-8, 1992.
- Self, TH, Rumbak, MJ, Kelso, TM, Nicholas, RA. Reassessment of the role of theophylline in the current therapy for nocturnal asthma. J Am Board Fam Pract, 5 (3), 281-8, 1992.
- Chrisman, CR, Self, TH, Rumbak, MJ. Use of peak flow meters in asthmatics. Am Pharm, NS31 (5), 24-8, 1991.
- Self, TH, Abou-Shala, N, Burns, R, Stewart, CF, Ellis, RF, Tsiu, SJ, Kellermann, AL. Inhaled albuterol and oral prednisone therapy in hospitalized adult asthmatics. Does aminophylline add any benefit. Chest, 98 (6), 1317-21, 1990.
- Brown, CS, Wells, BG, Cold, JA, Froemming, JH, Self, TH, Jabbour, JT. Possible influence of carbamazepine on plasma imipramine concentrations in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol, 10 (5), 359-62, 1990.
- Broyles, JE, Brown, RO, Self, TH, Frederick, RC, Luther, RW. Nortriptyline absorption in short bowel syndrome. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr, 14 (3), 326-7, 1990.
- Hunt, BA, Bottorff, MB, Herring, VL, Self, TH, Lalonde, RL. Effects of calcium channel blockers on the pharmacokinetics of propranolol stereoisomers. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 47 (5), 584-91, 1990.
- Stephens, MA, Self, TH, Lancaster, D, Nash, T. Hypothyroidism: effect on warfarin anticoagulation. South Med J, 82 (12), 1585-6, 1989.
- Hunt, BA, Self, TH, Lalonde, RL, Bottorff, MB. Calcium channel blockers as inhibitors of drug metabolism. Chest, 96 (2), 393-9, 1989.
- Self, TH, Ellis, RF, Abou-Shala, N, Amarshi, N. Is theophylline use justified in acute exacerbations of asthma. Pharmacotherapy, 9 (4), 260-6, 1989.
- Sirmans, SM, Pieper, JA, Lalonde, RL, Smith, DG, Self, TH. Effect of calcium channel blockers on theophylline disposition. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 44 (1), 29-34, 1988.
- Cupit, GC, Self, TH, Bekemeyer, WB. The effect of pneumococcal vaccine on the disposition of theophylline. Eur J Clin Pharmacol, 34 (5), 505-7, 1988.