TIFFANY N. SEAGROVES, Ph.D.
Director, Gerwin Small Animal Imaging Center, CRB
Track Head, Cancer and Developmental Biology track, IBS program
Rm 262 Cancer Research Building
- , San Diego State University, Food and Drug Law; Marketing, MBA
- PostDoc, University of California, San Diego, CA, Cell & Cancer Biology
- Ph.D., Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, Cell & Molecular Biology
- B.S., University of North Carolina, Chaaapel Hill, NC, Biology
Understanding the role of transcription factors in normal mammary gland development and in transgenic mouse models of breast cancer, particularly the oxygen-sensitive Hypoxia-Inducible Factor (HIF)-1alpha protein. Our laboratory focuses on primary cell culture, culture of cells on extracellular matrix substrata, DNA/RNA/protein extraction from normal mammary gland or mammary tumors, real-time PCR, immunohistochemistry and adenoviral/lentiviral transduction.
breast cancer, hypoxia, HIF-1alpha, von Hippel-Lindau, tumorigenesis, metastasis, transcription factor, gene expression
Area of teaching/subject
IPBS Program, Organ and Systems Biology, Pathology block leader
Co-Cancer and Developmental Biology Track Head, new IBS program
- Seagroves, TN, Peacock, DL, Liao, D, Schwab, LP, Krueger, R, Handorf, CR, Haase, VH, Johnson, RS. VHL deletion impairs mammary alveologenesis but is not sufficient for mammary tumorigenesis. Am J Pathol, 176 (5), 2269-82, 2010.
- Doronkin, S, Djagaeva, I, Nagle, ME, Reiter, LT, Seagroves, TN. Dose-dependent modulation of HIF-1alpha/sima controls the rate of cell migration and invasion in Drosophila ovary border cells. Oncogene, 29 (8), 1123-34, 2010.
- Golipour, A., Myers, D., Seagroves, T., Murphy, D., Evan, G., Donoghue, D.J., Moorehead, R.A., Porter, L.A. Moorehead, R. and L. Porter. The Spy1/RINGO Family Represents a Novel Mechanism Regulating Mammary Growth and Tumorigenesis. Cancer Research, 10 (68), 3591-3600, 2008.
- Liao, D, Corle, C, Seagroves, TN, Johnson, RS. Hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha is a key regulator of metastasis in a transgenic model of cancer initiation and progression. Cancer Res, 67 (2), 563-72, 2007.
- Reiter, LT, Seagroves, TN, Bowers, M, Bier, E. Expression of the Rho-GEF Pbl/ECT2 is regulated by the UBE3A E3 ubiquitin ligase. Hum Mol Genet, 15 (18), 2825-35, 2006.
- Seagroves, TN, Hadsell, D, McManaman, J, Palmer, C, Liao, D, McNulty, W, Welm, B, Wagner, KU, Neville, M, Johnson, RS. HIF1alpha is a critical regulator of secretory differentiation and activation, but not vascular expansion, in the mouse mammary gland. Development, 130 (8), 1713-24, 2003.
- Grimm, SL, Seagroves, TN, Kabotyanski, EB, Hovey, RC, Vonderhaar, BK, Lydon, JP, Miyoshi, K, Hennighausen, L, Ormandy, CJ, Lee, AV, Stull, MA, Wood, TL, Rosen, JM. Disruption of steroid and prolactin receptor patterning in the mammary gland correlates with a block in lobuloalveolar development. Mol Endocrinol, 16 (12), 2675-91, 2002.
- Cao, Y, Bonizzi, G, Seagroves, TN, Greten, FR, Johnson, R, Schmidt, EV, Karin, M. IKKalpha provides an essential link between RANK signaling and cyclin D1 expression during mammary gland development. Cell, 107 (6), 763-75, 2001.
- Seagroves, TN, Ryan, HE, Lu, H, Wouters, BG, Knapp, M, Thibault, P, Laderoute, K, Johnson, RS. Transcription factor HIF-1 is a necessary mediator of the pasteur effect in mammalian cells. Mol Cell Biol, 21 (10), 3436-44, 2001.
- Seagroves, TN, Lydon, JP, Hovey, RC, Vonderhaar, BK, Rosen, JM. C/EBPbeta (CCAAT/enhancer binding protein) controls cell fate determination during mammary gland development. Mol Endocrinol, 14 (3), 359-68, 2000.
- Seagroves, TN, Krnacik, S, Raught, B, Gay, J, Burgess-Beusse, B, Darlington, GJ, Rosen, JM. C/EBPbeta, but not C/EBPalpha, is essential for ductal morphogenesis, lobuloalveolar proliferation, and functional differentiation in the mouse mammary gland. Genes Dev, 12 (12), 1917-28, 1998.