SHELLEY IRENE WHITE-MEANS, Ph.D, M.A.
Consortium on Health Education, Economic Empowerment and Research (CHEER)
307 DOCTORS OFFICE BUILDING
66 NORTH PAULINE STREET
MEMPHIS TN 381630000
health disparities, economics of aging, cost of caregiving, economics, minority health and health care utilization
- Shelley White-Means, Zhiyong Dong, Meghan Hufstader, and Lawrence T. Brown. Cultural Competency, Race, and Skintone Bias Among Pharmacy, Nursing, and Medical Students: Implications for Addressing Health Disparities. Medical Care Research and Review, 2009.
- Rose Rubin and Shelley White-Means. Informal Caregiving: Dilemmas of Sandwiched Caregivers. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 2009.
- Wang, J, Mullins, CD, Zuckerman, IH, Walker, GD, Suda, KJ, Yang, Y, White-Means, SI. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey: a valuable database for studying racial and ethnic disparities in prescription drug use. Res Social Adm Pharm, 4 (3), 206-17, 2008.
- White-Means, SI, Rubin, RM. Parent caregiving choices of middle-generation Blacks and Whites in the United States. J Aging Health, 20 (5), 560-82, 2008.
- Dick Gourley, Shelley White-Means, and Jeff Wallace. Quantifying the Economic Impact of a College of Pharmacy on an Economy of a State. American Journal of Pharmacy Education, 72 (1), 2008.
- Wang, J, White-Means, SI, Hufstader, MA, Walker, GD. The economic implications of the racial and ethnic disparities in the use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Curr Med Res Opin, 23 (4), 853-63, 2007.
- White-Means, SI, Hersch, J. Health insurance disparities in traditional and contingent/alternative employment. Int J Health Care Finance Econ, 5 (4), 351-68, 2005.
- Darrell Gaskin, Alvin Headen, and Shelley White-Means. Racial Disparities in Health and Wealth: The Effects of Slavery and Past Discrimination. Review of Black Political Economy, 32 (3-4), 95-110, 2005.
- White-Means, SI, Rubin, RM. Is there equity in the home health care market? Understanding racial patterns in the use of formal home health care. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 59 (4), S220-9, 2004.
- White-Means, SI. Racial patterns in disabled elderly persons' use of medical services. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 55 (2), S76-89, 2000.
- Shelley White-Means. The Demands of Persons with Disabilities for Home Health Care and the Economic Consequences for Informal Caregivers. Social Science Quarterly, 78 (4), 955-972, 1997.
- Shelley White-Means and Deborah Chollet. Opportunity Wages and Workforce Adjustments: Understanding the Costs of In-Home Elder Care. Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences, 51A (2), S82-S90, 1996.
- White-Means, SI, Thornton, MC. What cost savings could be realized by shifting patterns of use from hospital emergency rooms to primary care sites. Am Econ Rev, 85 (2), 138-42, 1995.
- White-Means, SI. Conceptualizing race in economic models of medical utilization: a case study of community-based elders and the emergency room. Health Serv Res, 30 (1 Pt 2), 207-23, 1995.
- White-Means, SI. Health characteristics and utilization of public sector health facilities among migrant agricultural workers in Orange County, New York. J Health Soc Policy, 4 (1), 57-75, 1991.
- Shelley White-Means. The Economic Returns From Investments in Physical and Mental Health : A Case Study of Migrant Farmworkers in Rural, New York. Journal of Health and Social Policy, 2 (3), 39-51, 1991.
- White-Means, SI, Thornton, MC. Ethnic differences in the production of informal home health care. Gerontologist, 30 (6), 758-68, 1990.
- White-Means, SI, Thornton, MC. Labor market choices and home health care provision among employed ethnic caregivers. Gerontologist, 30 (6), 769-75, 1990.
- White-Means, SI. The economic returns from investments in physical and mental health: a case study of migrant farmworkers in rural New York. J Health Soc Policy, 2 (3), 39-51, 1990.
- White-Means, SI, Thornton, MC. Nonemergency visits to hospital emergency rooms: a comparison of blacks and whites. Milbank Q, 67 (1), 35-57, 1989.