SHELLEY IRENE WHITE-MEANS, Ph.D, M.A.
Consortium on Health Education, Economic Empowerment and Research (CHEER)
307 Doctors Office Building
health disparities, economics of aging, cost of caregiving, economics, minority health and health care utilization
- Shelley White-Means, Zhiyong Dong, Meghan Hufstader, and Lawrence T. Brown. Cultural Competency, Race, and Skintone Bias Among Pharmacy, Nursing, and Medical Students: Implications for Addressing Health Disparities. Medical Care Research and Review, 2009.
- Rose Rubin and Shelley White-Means. Informal Caregiving: Dilemmas of Sandwiched Caregivers. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 2009.
- Wang, J, Mullins, CD, Zuckerman, IH, Walker, GD, Suda, KJ, Yang, Y, White-Means, SI. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey: a valuable database for studying racial and ethnic disparities in prescription drug use. Res Social Adm Pharm, 4 (3), 206-17, 2008.
- White-Means, SI, Rubin, RM. Parent caregiving choices of middle-generation Blacks and Whites in the United States. J Aging Health, 20 (5), 560-82, 2008.
- Dick Gourley, Shelley White-Means, and Jeff Wallace. Quantifying the Economic Impact of a College of Pharmacy on an Economy of a State. American Journal of Pharmacy Education, 72 (1), 2008.
- Wang, J, White-Means, SI, Hufstader, MA, Walker, GD. The economic implications of the racial and ethnic disparities in the use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Curr Med Res Opin, 23 (4), 853-63, 2007.
- White-Means, SI, Hersch, J. Health insurance disparities in traditional and contingent/alternative employment. Int J Health Care Finance Econ, 5 (4), 351-68, 2005.
- Darrell Gaskin, Alvin Headen, and Shelley White-Means. Racial Disparities in Health and Wealth: The Effects of Slavery and Past Discrimination. Review of Black Political Economy, 32 (3-4), 95-110, 2005.
- White-Means, SI, Rubin, RM. Is there equity in the home health care market? Understanding racial patterns in the use of formal home health care. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 59 (4), S220-9, 2004.
- White-Means, SI. Racial patterns in disabled elderly persons' use of medical services. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 55 (2), S76-89, 2000.
- Shelley White-Means. The Demands of Persons with Disabilities for Home Health Care and the Economic Consequences for Informal Caregivers. Social Science Quarterly, 78 (4), 955-972, 1997.
- Shelley White-Means and Deborah Chollet. Opportunity Wages and Workforce Adjustments: Understanding the Costs of In-Home Elder Care. Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences, 51A (2), S82-S90, 1996.
- White-Means, SI, Thornton, MC. What cost savings could be realized by shifting patterns of use from hospital emergency rooms to primary care sites. Am Econ Rev, 85 (2), 138-42, 1995.
- White-Means, SI. Conceptualizing race in economic models of medical utilization: a case study of community-based elders and the emergency room. Health Serv Res, 30 (1 Pt 2), 207-23, 1995.
- White-Means, SI. Health characteristics and utilization of public sector health facilities among migrant agricultural workers in Orange County, New York. J Health Soc Policy, 4 (1), 57-75, 1991.
- Shelley White-Means. The Economic Returns From Investments in Physical and Mental Health : A Case Study of Migrant Farmworkers in Rural, New York. Journal of Health and Social Policy, 2 (3), 39-51, 1991.
- White-Means, SI, Thornton, MC. Ethnic differences in the production of informal home health care. Gerontologist, 30 (6), 758-68, 1990.
- White-Means, SI, Thornton, MC. Labor market choices and home health care provision among employed ethnic caregivers. Gerontologist, 30 (6), 769-75, 1990.
- White-Means, SI. The economic returns from investments in physical and mental health: a case study of migrant farmworkers in rural New York. J Health Soc Policy, 2 (3), 39-51, 1990.
- White-Means, SI, Thornton, MC. Nonemergency visits to hospital emergency rooms: a comparison of blacks and whites. Milbank Q, 67 (1), 35-57, 1989.