SOLOMON SIDNEY SOLOMON, M.D., B.A.
Chief Endocrinology and Metabolism,Med Svc. VA Medical Center, Professor of Medicine(Endocrinology) and Pharmacology , University of Tenn, COM
151 Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- PostDoc, University of Washington; Seattle, WA, Endo/Metabolism
- , Boston City Hospital; Boston, MA, Residency
- , New England Medical Center, Straight Medicine - Internship
- M.D., Univ. of Rochester Med School Rochester, NY, Medicine
- B.A., Harvard College; Cambridge, MA, Chemistry
- Solomon, SS, Majumdar, G, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Raghow, R. A critical role of Sp1 transcription factor in regulating gene expression in response to insulin and other hormones. Life Sci, 83 (9-10), 305-12, 2008.
- Haerian, H, McHugh, P, Brown, R, Somes, G, Solomon, SS. Gatifloxacin produces both hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia: a retrospective study. Am J Med Sci, 335 (2), 95-8, 2008.
- Solomon, SS, Buss, N, Shull, J, Monnier, S, Majumdar, G, Wu, J, Gerling, IC. Proteome of H-411E (liver) cells exposed to insulin and tumor necrosis factor-alpha: analysis of proteins involved in insulin resistance. J Lab Clin Med, 145 (5), 275-83, 2005.
- Wu, J, Lenchik, NJ, Pabst, MJ, Solomon, SS, Shull, J, Gerling, IC. Functional characterization of two-dimensional gel-separated proteins using sequential staining. Electrophoresis, 26 (1), 225-37, 2005.
- Majumdar, G, Wright, J, Markowitz, P, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Raghow, R, Solomon, SS. Insulin stimulates and diabetes inhibits O-linked N-acetylglucosamine transferase and O-glycosylation of Sp1. Diabetes, 53 (12), 3184-92, 2004.
- Childress, RD, Qureshi, MN, Kasparova, M, Oktaei, H, Williams-Cleaves, B, Solomon, SS. Thyrotoxicosis presenting as hypogonadism: a case of central hyperthyroidism. Am J Med Sci, 328 (5), 295-8, 2004.
- Majumdar, G, Harmon, A, Candelaria, R, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Raghow, R, Solomon, SS. O-glycosylation of Sp1 and transcriptional regulation of the calmodulin gene by insulin and glucagon. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 285 (3), E584-91, 2003.
- Solomon, SS, Tom, SC, Pichert, J, Wasserman, D, Powers, AC. Impact of medical student research in the development of physician-scientists. J Investig Med, 51 (3), 149-56, 2003.
- Ratnakant, S, Ochs, ME, Solomon, SS. Sounding board: diabetes mellitus in the elderly: a truly heterogeneous entity. Diabetes Obes Metab, 5 (2), 81-92, 2003.
- Gerling, IC, Solomon, SS, Bryer-Ash, M. Genomes, transcriptomes, and proteomes: molecular medicine and its impact on medical practice. Arch Intern Med, 163 (2), 190-8, 2003.
- Keembiyehetty, CN, Candelaria, RP, Majumdar, G, Raghow, R, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Solomon, SS. Paradoxical regulation of Sp1 transcription factor by glucagon. Endocrinology, 143 (4), 1512-20, 2002.
- Dietzen, DJ, Queen, SF, Solomon, SS. Matrix-dependent bias in total thyroxine measurement on the Beckman Access. Clin Chim Acta, 316 (1-2), 171-4, 2002.
- Solomon, SS, Usdan, LS, Palazzolo, MR. Mechanisms involved in tumor necrosis factor-alpha induction of insulin resistance and its reversal by thiazolidinedione(s). Am J Med Sci, 322 (2), 75-8, 2001.
- Pan, X, Solomon, SS, Borromeo, DM, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Raghow, R. Insulin deprivation leads to deficiency of Sp1 transcription factor in H-411E hepatoma cells and in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ketoacidosis in the rat. Endocrinology, 142 (4), 1635-42, 2001.
- Pan, X, Solomon, SS, Shah, RJ, Palazzolo, MR, Raghow, RS. Members of the Sp transcription factor family regulate rat calmodulin gene expression. J Lab Clin Med, 136 (2), 157-63, 2000.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Takahashi, T, Raghow, R. Transcription factor Sp1 is necessary for basal calmodulin gene transcription and for its selective stimulation by insulin. Endocrinology, 138 (11), 5052-4, 1997.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Takahashi, T, Raghow, R. Insulin stimulates rat calmodulin I gene transcription through activation of Sp1. Proc Assoc Am Physicians, 109 (5), 470-7, 1997.
- Solomon, SS, Mishra, SK, Palazzolo, MR, Postlethwaite, AE, Seyer, JM. Identification of specific sites in the TNF-alpha molecule promoting insulin resistance in H-411E cells. J Lab Clin Med, 130 (2), 139-46, 1997.
- Solomon, SS, Mishra, SK, Cwik, C, Rajanna, B, Postlethwaite, AE. Pioglitazone and metformin reverse insulin resistance induced by tumor necrosis factor-alpha in liver cells. Horm Metab Res, 29 (8), 379-82, 1997.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Smoake, JA, Raghow, RS. Insulin-stimulated calmodulin gene expression in rat H-411E cells can be selectively blocked by antisense oligonucleotides. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 210 (3), 921-30, 1995.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Elam, MB, Green, S, Raghow, R. Regulation of calmodulin gene expression by insulin is both transcriptional and post-transcriptional. J Lab Clin Med, 124 (3), 348-58, 1994.
- Elam, MB, Wilcox, HG, Solomon, SS, Heimberg, M. In vivo growth hormone treatment stimulates secretion of very low density lipoprotein by the isolated perfused rat liver. Endocrinology, 131 (6), 2717-22, 1992.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Duckworth, WC. Effects of sequence and timing of hormonal additions on adipose tissue: activation of low-Km cyclic adenosine monophosphate phosphodiesterase. Metabolism, 40 (9), 899-901, 1991.
- Solomon, SS, Sibley, SD, Dismukes, JR. Growth hormone-enhanced lipolysis in the spontaneously diabetic BB rat. J Lab Clin Med, 118 (1), 99-105, 1991.
- Whittington, KB, Solomon, SS, Lu, ZN, Selawry, HP. Islet allografts in the cryptorchid testes of spontaneously diabetic BB/Wor dp rats: response to glucose, glipizide, and arginine. Endocrinology, 128 (6), 2671-7, 1991.
- Solomon, SS, Sibley, SD, Cunningham, TM. Growth hormone receptors are up-regulated in diabetic adipocytes. Endocrinology, 127 (3), 1544-6, 1990.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Green, S, Raghow, R. Expression of calmodulin gene is down-regulated in diabetic BB rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 168 (3), 1007-12, 1990.
- Solomon, SS, Chiang, TM, Palazzolo, MR. Activation of cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase by phorbol and protein kinase C pathway: differences in normal and diabetic tissue. Endocr Res, 16 (3), 391-402, 1990.
- Solomon, SS, Deaton, J, Harris, G, Smoake, JA. Studies of insulin resistance in the streptozotocin diabetic and BB rat: activation of low Km cAMP phosphodiesterase by insulin. Am J Med Sci, 297 (6), 372-6, 1989.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, M. The insulin-like effects of phorbol myristate acetate (PMA) in the isolated fat cell. Endocr Res, 15 (3), 375-91, 1989.
- Solomon, SS, Tom, SC. Allocating research space in the university medical center: use of a mathematical formula. Am J Med Sci, 297 (1), 3-8, 1989.
- Shankar, TP, Solomon, SS, Duckworth, WC, Jerkins, T, Iyer, RS, Bobal, MA. Growth hormone and carbohydrate intolerance in cirrhosis. Horm Metab Res, 20 (9), 579-83, 1988.
- Elam, MB, Simkevich, CP, Solomon, SS, Wilcox, HG, Heimberg, M. Stimulation of in vitro triglyceride synthesis in the rat hepatocyte by growth hormone treatment in vivo. Endocrinology, 122 (4), 1397-402, 1988.
- Elam, MB, Umstot, ES, Andersen, RN, Solomon, SS, Heimberg, M. Deprivation and repletion of androgen in vivo modifies triacylglycerol synthesis by rat hepatocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta, 921 (3), 531-40, 1987.