Sandra R. Arnold, MD, MSc
Professor of Pediatrics
Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases
Associate Program Director, Pediatric Residency Porgram
463-R LE BONHEUR RESEARCH CENTER
50 NORTH DUNLAP STREET
MEMPHIS TN 381030000
- M.S., University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, Clinical Epidemiology
- M.D., University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, Medicine
Dr. Arnold has conducted research in pediatric infectious diseases in the areas of bone and joint infections, pneumonia, influenza and appropriate use of antibiotics in hospital and community settings. She has authored many journal articles and several book chapters and is an ad hoc reviewer for many pediatric and infectious diseases journals. She is currently serving on a joint Infectious Disease Society of America and Pediatric Infectious Disease Society Committee to create a guideline for the management of bone and joint infections in children.
pediatric antimicrobial stewardship
pediatric respiratory tract infections
evidence based medicine
Respiratory Tract Infections
Bone and Joint Infections
Evidence Based Medicine
- Robinson, WS, Arnold, SR, Michael, CF, Vickery, JD, Schoumacher, RA, Pivnick, EK, Ward, JC, Nagabhushanam, V, Lew, DB. Case report of a young child with disseminated histoplasmosis and review of hyper immunoglobulin e syndrome (HIES). Clin Mol Allergy, 9, 14, 2011.
- Minniear, TD, Gilmore, B, Arnold, SR, Flynn, PM, Knapp, KM, Gaur, AH. Implementation of and barriers to routine HIV screening for adolescents. Pediatrics, 124 (4), 1076-84, 2009.
- Freifeld A, Proia L, Andes D, Baddour LM, Blair J, Spellberg B, Arnold S, Lentnek A, Wheat LJ. Voriconazole Use for Endemic Fungal Infections. Antmicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 53, 1648-51, 2009.
- Wright, CT, Stocks, RM, Armstrong, DL, Arnold, SR, Gould, HJ. Pediatric mediastinitis as a complication of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus retropharyngeal abscess. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 134 (4), 408-13, 2008.
- Mirza A, Subedar A, Fowler SL, Murray DL, Arnold S, Tristram D, Abuelreish M, Wludyka P, Chiu TT, Rathore MH. Influenza vaccine: awareness and barriers to immunization in families of children with chronic medical conditions other than asthma. Southern Medical Journal, 101 (11), 1101-5, 2008.
- Arnold, SR. Revenge of the killer microbe. CMAJ, 177 (8), 895-6, 2007.
- Freifeld A. Arnold S. Ooi W. Chen F. Meyer T. Wheat LJ. Smedema M. Lemonte A. Connolly P. Relationship of blood level and susceptibility in voriconazole treatment of histoplasmosis. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 51, 2656-7, 2007.
- Caniza MA, Maron G, McCullers J, Clara WA, Cedillow R, Duenas L, Arnold S, Williams BF, Tuomanen EI. Planning and implementation of an infection control training program for healthcare providers in Latin America. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 28, 1328-33, 2007.
- Arnold, SR, Elias, D, Buckingham, SC, Thomas, ED, Novais, E, Arkader, A, Howard, C. Changing patterns of acute hematogenous osteomyelitis and septic arthritis: emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Pediatr Orthop, 26 (6), 703-8, 2006.
- Lau KK, Hastings MC, Arnold SR, Jones DP, Bouldon T, Shokouh-Amiri H, Wyatt, RJ, Ault, BH. Bartonella Infection Presenting With Prolonged Fever in a Pediatric Renal Transplant Recipient. International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 5, 2006.
- Arnold, SR, Bush, AJ. Decline in inappropriate antibiotic use over a decade by pediatricians in a Tennessee community. Ambul Pediatr, 6 (4), 225-9, 2005.
- Arnold, SR, Straus, SE. Interventions to improve antibiotic prescribing practices in ambulatory care. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (4), CD003539, 2005.
- Hare, ME, Gaur, AH, Somes, GW, Arnold, SR, Shorr, RI. Does it really take longer not to prescribe antibiotics for viral respiratory tract infections in children. Ambul Pediatr, 6 (3), 152-6, 2005.
- Arnold, SR, To, T, McIsaac, WJ, Wang, EE. Antibiotic prescribing for upper respiratory tract infection: the importance of diagnostic uncertainty. J Pediatr, 146 (2), 222-6, 2005.
- Grisaru-Soen, G, Coles, JG, Kavanagh, BP, Arnold, SR. Rupture of the common carotid artery after extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Ann Thorac Surg, 74 (5), 1697-8, 2002.
- Allen U, Alfieri C, Preiksaitis J, Humar A, Moore D, Tapiero B, Tellier R, Green M, Davies HD, Weitzman S, Petric M, Jacobson K, Acott P, Arbus G, Arnold S, et al.. Epstein-Barr virus infection in transplant recipients: Summary of a workshop on surveillance, prevention and treatment. Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases, 13, 89-99, 2002.
- Arnold SR, Degani N, King SM. Lack of adverse events associated with pre- and postnatal antiretroviral therapy exposure: a retrospective review of 43 children followed up at 4 to 7 years of age. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 17 (2), 53-5, 2002.
- Arnold, SR, Ford-Jones, EL. Congenital syphilis: A guide to diagnosis and management. Paediatr Child Health, 5 (8), 463-9, 2000.
- Arnold SR, Allen UD, Al-Zahrani M, Tan D, Wang EEL. Antibiotic prescribing by pediatricians for respiratory tract infections in children. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 29 (2), 312-7, 1999.
- Arnold SR, Wang EE, Law BJ, Boucher FD, Stephens D, Robinson JL, Dobson S, Langley JM, McDonald J, MacDonald NE, Mitchell I. Variable morbidity of respiratory syncytial virus infection in patients with underlying lung disease: a review of the PICNIC RSV database. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 18 (10), 866-9, 1999.
- Wang EEL, Kellner JD, Arnold SR. Antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. Implications for medical practice. Canadian Family Physician, 44, 1881-88, 1998.