STOCKS, ROSE MARY, MD, PharmD, FACS
Rose Mary S. Stocks, MD, Pharm.D., FACS
Residency Program Director
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
STE. 404 910 MADISON BUILDING
910 MADISON AVENUE
MEMPHIS TN 38163
Dr. Rose Mary Stocks is the Residency Program Director for the Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery department at UTHSC.
She is a fellowship trained Pediatric Otolaryngologist with a doctorate in Pharmacy and a long bench research history. She has conducted numerous NIH-funded research endeavors with an emphasis on ototoxicity and its prevention in the administration of chemotherapy in the guinea pig model.
Along with her dedication to the administration of the department''s residency program and trainees, Dr. Stocks maintains a busy clinical practice devoted to pediatric otolaryngology, with an emphasis on treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in children, surgical repair of cleft lip and palate, and otolaryngologic manifestations of Down''s Syndrome.
Dr. Stocks has participated in, and published her experience in extra-uterine, prenatal surgical repair of defects of the head and neck (the EXIT procedure). She has served as research mentor to numerous residents over the years and greatly increased the amount of scholarly activity within the department.
Dr. Stocks has taught courses at a national level for the American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery on Down''s Syndrome for the Otolaryngologist and Management of the Difficult Pediatric Airway. She teaches first year medical students about examination of the ear, nose, and throat and is a tireless surgical educator in the training program.
In 2010, Dr. Stocks traveled to the Philippines to donate her surgical services in the care of cleft lip and palate children who otherwise had no access to medical care. Back home in Memphis, she is a member of the LeBonheur Multidisciplinary Cleft Lip and Palate Team and devotes her expertise to the care of these patients and their families.
Clinical Care Specialty/Interests
Otolaryngologic Manifestations of Down''s Syndrome
Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
Cleft Lip and Palate
Prenatal Head and Neck Deformities
Difficult Airway in the Pediatric Population
Chemotherapy Induced Ototoxicity
Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Children
The EXIT Procedure
- Vieira, F, Allen, SM, Stocks, RM, Thompson, JW. Deep neck infection. Otolaryngol Clin North Am, 41 (3), 459-83, vii, 2008.
- Kasow, KA, Stocks, RM, Kaste, SC, Donepudi, S, Tottenham, D, Schoumacher, RA, Horwitz, EM. Airway evaluation and management in 7 children with malignant infantile osteopetrosis before hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol, 30 (3), 225-9, 2008.
- Donepudi, SK, Ahmed, KA, Stocks, RM, Nelson, D, Thompson, JW. Aural involvement in loxoscelism: case report and literature review. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 69 (11), 1559-61, 2005.
- Ahmed, KA, Thompson, JW, Joyner, RE, Stocks, RM. Airway obstruction secondary to tracheobronchial involvement of asymptomatic undiagnosed Crohn's disease in a pediatric patient. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 69 (7), 1003-5, 2005.
- Williams, GB, Kun, LE, Thompson, JW, Gould, HJ, Stocks, RM. Hearing loss as a late complication of radiotherapy in children with brain tumors. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol, 114 (4), 328-31, 2005.
- Hafner, JW, Costello, TH, Stocks, RM, Ibrahim, F, Thompson, JW. Childhood primary parotid non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with direct intracranial extension: a case report. Ear Nose Throat J, 83 (12), 828-30, 843, 2004.
- Stocks, RM, Gould, HJ, Bush, AJ, Dudney, BW, Pousson, M, Thompson, JW. Ototoxic protection of sodium thiosulfate: daily vs constant infusion. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 131 (1), 115-9, 2004.
- Stocks, RM, Egerman, R, Thompson, JW, Peery, M. Airway management of the severely retrognathic child: use of the laryngeal mask airway. Ear Nose Throat J, 81 (4), 223-6, 2002.
- Stocks, R, Cannon, CB, Wang, WC, Horwitz, EM, Thompson, JW. Reversal of obstructive sleep apnea in osteopetrosis following bone marrow transplantation. Clin Pediatr (Phila), 41 (1), 55-7, 2002.
- Snowden, RT, Thompson, J, Horwitz, E, Stocks, RM. The predictive value of serum interleukins in recurrent respiratory papillomatosis: a preliminary study. Laryngoscope, 111 (3), 404-8, 2001.
- Slobod, KS, Sandlund, JT, Spiegel, PH, Haik, B, Hurwitz, JL, Conley, ME, Bowman, LC, Benaim, E, Jenkins, JJ, Stocks, RM, Gan, Y, Sixbey, JW. Molecular evidence of ocular Epstein-Barr virus infection. Clin Infect Dis, 31 (1), 184-8, 2000.
- Leake, FS, Thompson, JW, Simms, E, Bailey, J, Stocks, RM, Murphy, AM. Acquisition of hearing aids and assistive listening devices among the pediatric hearing-impaired population. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 52 (3), 247-51, 2000.
- Thompson, JW, Chesney, RW, Stocks, RM, Shmerling, J, Herron, P. Pediatric hospitals' and physician strategies for the 21st century. Clin Pediatr (Phila), 38 (5), 259-63, 1999.
- Stocks, RM, Thompson, JW, Church, JA, Kun, S, Simms, E. Severe combined immunodeficiency: otolaryngological presentation and management. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol, 108 (4), 403-7, 1999.
- Stocks, RM, Wang, WC, Thompson, JW, Stocks, MC, Horwitz, EM. Malignant infantile osteopetrosis: otolaryngological complications and management. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 124 (6), 689-94, 1998.
- Thompson, JW, Colin, W, Snowden, T, Hengesteg, A, Stocks, RM, Watson, SP. Fire in the operating room during tracheostomy. South Med J, 91 (3), 243-7, 1998.
- Stocks, RM, Egerman, RS, Woodson, GE, Bower, CM, Thompson, JW, Wiet, GJ. Airway management of neonates with antenatally detected head and neck anomalies. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 123 (6), 641-5, 1997.
- Stocks, RM, Milburn, M, Thompson, J. Unusual neck masses secondary to jugular venous abnormalities: case report and discussion. Am Surg, 63 (4), 305-9, 1997.
- Thompson, JW, Stocks, RM. Brief bilateral vocal cord paralysis after insecticide poisoning. A new variant of toxicity syndrome. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 123 (1), 93-6, 1997.
- Thompson, JW, Nguyen, CD, Lazar, RH, Stocks, RM, Schoumacher, RA, Hamdan, F, Van Nguyen, K. Evaluation and management of hemoptysis in infants and children. A report of nine cases. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol, 105 (7), 516-20, 1996.
- Thompson, JW, Stocks, RM, Shmerling, JE, Dempsey, J. Effects of global competition on health care administration in Finland and the United States. What you can do to save your practice. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 122 (3), 241-50, 1996.