RAJENDRA RAGHOW, Ph.D.
Be139 Veterans Affairs Medical Center
1030 Jefferson Avenue
Memphis Tn 381042193
- Ph.D., Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, Biochemistry
- M.S., Panjab University, Chandigarh, India, Biology
- B.S., Panjab University, Chandigarh, India, Biology
- Yellaturu, CR, Deng, X, Cagen, LM, Wilcox, HG, Mansbach, CM, Siddiqi, SA, Park, EA, Raghow, R, Elam, MB. Insulin Enhances Post-translational Processing of Nascent SREBP-1c by Promoting Its Phosphorylation and Association with COPII Vesicles. J Biol Chem, 284 (12), 7518-32, 2009.
- Elam, MB, Cowan, GS, Rooney, RJ, Hiler, ML, Yellaturu, CR, Deng, X, Howell, GE, Park, EA, Gerling, IC, Patel, D, Corton, JC, Cagen, LM, Wilcox, HG, Gandhi, M, Bahr, MH, Allan, MC, Wodi, LA, Cook, GA, Hughes, TA, Raghow, R. Hepatic Gene Expression in Morbidly Obese Women: Implications for Disease Susceptibility. Obesity (Silver Spring), 2009.
- Solomon, SS, Majumdar, G, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Raghow, R. A critical role of Sp1 transcription factor in regulating gene expression in response to insulin and other hormones. Life Sci, 83 (9-10), 305-12, 2008.
- Majumdar, G, Johnson, IM, Kale, S, Raghow, R. Epigenetic regulation of cardiac muscle-specific genes in H9c2 cells by Interleukin-18 and histone deacetylase inhibitor m-carboxycinnamic acid bis-hydroxamide. Mol Cell Biochem, 312 (1-2), 47-60, 2008.
- Raghow, R, Yellaturu, C, Deng, X, Park, EA, Elam, MB. SREBPs: the crossroads of physiological and pathological lipid homeostasis. Trends Endocrinol Metab, 19 (2), 65-73, 2008.
- Deng, X, Yellaturu, C, Cagen, L, Wilcox, HG, Park, EA, Raghow, R, Elam, MB. Expression of the rat sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1c gene in response to insulin is mediated by increased transactivating capacity of specificity protein 1 (Sp1). J Biol Chem, 282 (24), 17517-29, 2007.
- Majumdar, G, Harrington, A, Hungerford, J, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Gerling, IC, Raghow, R, Solomon, S. Insulin dynamically regulates calmodulin gene expression by sequential o-glycosylation and phosphorylation of sp1 and its subcellular compartmentalization in liver cells. J Biol Chem, 281 (6), 3642-50, 2006.
- Dou, W, Thompson-Jaeger, S, Laulederkind, SJ, Becker, JW, Montgomery, J, Ruiz-Bustos, E, Hasty, DL, Ballou, LR, Eastman, PS, Srichai, B, Breyer, MD, Raghow, R. Defective expression of Tamm-Horsfall protein/uromodulin in COX-2-deficient mice increases their susceptibility to urinary tract infections. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol, 289 (1), F49-60, 2005.
- Yellaturu, CR, Deng, X, Cagen, LM, Wilcox, HG, Park, EA, Raghow, R, Elam, MB. Posttranslational processing of SREBP-1 in rat hepatocytes is regulated by insulin and cAMP. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 332 (1), 174-80, 2005.
- Cagen, LM, Deng, X, Wilcox, HG, Park, EA, Raghow, R, Elam, MB. Insulin activates the rat sterol-regulatory-element-binding protein 1c (SREBP-1c) promoter through the combinatorial actions of SREBP, LXR, Sp-1 and NF-Y cis-acting elements. Biochem J, 385 (Pt 1), 207-16, 2005.
- Deng, X, Elam, MB, Wilcox, HG, Cagen, LM, Park, EA, Raghow, R, Patel, D, Kumar, P, Sheybani, A, Russell, JC. Dietary olive oil and menhaden oil mitigate induction of lipogenesis in hyperinsulinemic corpulent JCR:LA-cp rats: microarray analysis of lipid-related gene expression. Endocrinology, 145 (12), 5847-61, 2004.
- Majumdar, G, Wright, J, Markowitz, P, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Raghow, R, Solomon, SS. Insulin stimulates and diabetes inhibits O-linked N-acetylglucosamine transferase and O-glycosylation of Sp1. Diabetes, 53 (12), 3184-92, 2004.
- Matsui, H, Takahashi, T, Raghow, R. The mechanism of biogenesis and potential function of the two alternatively spliced mRNAs encoded by the murine Msx3 gene. Mol Cell Biochem, 267 (1-2), 1-11, 2004.
- Tannu, NS, Rao, VK, Chaudhary, RM, Giorgianni, F, Saeed, AE, Gao, Y, Raghow, R. Comparative proteomes of the proliferating C(2)C(12) myoblasts and fully differentiated myotubes reveal the complexity of the skeletal muscle differentiation program. Mol Cell Proteomics, 3 (11), 1065-82, 2004.
- Dou, W, Jiao, Y, Goorha, S, Raghow, R, Ballou, LR. Nociception and the differential expression of cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1), the COX-1 variant retaining intron-1 (COX-1v), and COX-2 in mouse dorsal root ganglia (DRG). Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat, 74 (1-4), 29-43, 2004.
- Tannu, NS, Wu, J, Rao, VK, Gadgil, HS, Pabst, MJ, Gerling, IC, Raghow, R. Paraffin-wax-coated plates as matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization sample support for high-throughput identification of proteins by peptide mass fingerprinting. Anal Biochem, 327 (2), 222-32, 2004.
- Chen, Q, Rho, JY, Fan, Z, Laulederkind, SJ, Raghow, R. Congenital lack of COX-2 affects mechanical and geometric properties of bone in mice. Calcif Tissue Int, 73 (4), 387-92, 2003.
- Majumdar, G, Harmon, A, Candelaria, R, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Raghow, R, Solomon, SS. O-glycosylation of Sp1 and transcriptional regulation of the calmodulin gene by insulin and glucagon. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 285 (3), E584-91, 2003.
- Laulederkind, SJ, Wall, BM, Ballou, LR, Raghow, R. Renal pathology resulting from PGHS-2 gene ablation in DBA/B6 mice. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat, 70 (1-2), 161-8, 2002.
- Longhurst, CM, Jacobs, JD, White, MM, Crossno, JT, Fitzgerald, DA, Bao, J, Fitzgerald, TJ, Raghow, R, Jennings, LK. Chinese hamster ovary cell motility to fibronectin is modulated by the second extracellular loop of CD9. Identification of a putative fibronectin binding site. J Biol Chem, 277 (36), 32445-52, 2002.
- Laulederkind, SJ, Thompson-Jaeger, S, Goorha, S, Chen, Q, Fu, A, Rho, JY, Ballou, LR, Raghow, R. Both constitutive and inducible prostaglandin H synthase affect dermal wound healing in mice. Lab Invest, 82 (7), 919-27, 2002.
- Keembiyehetty, CN, Candelaria, RP, Majumdar, G, Raghow, R, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Solomon, SS. Paradoxical regulation of Sp1 transcription factor by glucagon. Endocrinology, 143 (4), 1512-20, 2002.
- Zhang, J, Goorha, S, Raghow, R, Ballou, LR. The tissue-specific, compensatory expression of cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 in transgenic mice. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat, 67 (2), 121-35, 2002.
- Deng, X, Cagen, LM, Wilcox, HG, Park, EA, Raghow, R, Elam, MB. Regulation of the rat SREBP-1c promoter in primary rat hepatocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 290 (1), 256-62, 2002.
- Elam, MB, Wilcox, HG, Cagen, LM, Deng, X, Raghow, R, Kumar, P, Heimberg, M, Russell, JC. Increased hepatic VLDL secretion, lipogenesis, and SREBP-1 expression in the corpulent JCR:LA-cp rat. J Lipid Res, 42 (12), 2039-48, 2001.
- Pan, X, Solomon, SS, Borromeo, DM, Martinez-Hernandez, A, Raghow, R. Insulin deprivation leads to deficiency of Sp1 transcription factor in H-411E hepatoma cells and in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ketoacidosis in the rat. Endocrinology, 142 (4), 1635-42, 2001.
- Mehra-Chaudhary, R, Matsui, H, Raghow, R. Msx3 protein recruits histone deacetylase to down-regulate the Msx1 promoter. Biochem J, 353 (Pt 1), 13-22, 2001.
- Pan, X, Solomon, SS, Shah, RJ, Palazzolo, MR, Raghow, RS. Members of the Sp transcription factor family regulate rat calmodulin gene expression. J Lab Clin Med, 136 (2), 157-63, 2000.
- Laulederkind, SJ, Kirtikara, K, Raghow, R, Ballou, LR. The regulation of PGE(2) biosynthesis in MG-63 osteosarcoma cells by IL-1 and FGF is cell density-dependent. Exp Cell Res, 258 (2), 409-16, 2000.
- Thompson-Jaeger, S, Raghow, R. Exogenous expression of Msx1 renders myoblasts refractory to differentiation into myotubes and elicits enhanced biosynthesis of four unique mRNAs. Mol Cell Biochem, 208 (1-2), 63-9, 2000.
- Kirtikara, K, Raghow, R, Laulederkind, SJ, Goorha, S, Kanekura, T, Ballou, LR. Transcriptional regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 in the human microvascular endothelial cell line, HMEC-1: control by the combinatorial actions of AP2, NF-IL-6 and CRE elements. Mol Cell Biochem, 203 (1-2), 41-51, 2000.
- Cook, GA, Wilkinson, DA, Crossno, JT, Raghow, R, Jennings, LK. The tetraspanin CD9 influences the adhesion, spreading, and pericellular fibronectin matrix assembly of Chinese hamster ovary cells on human plasma fibronectin. Exp Cell Res, 251 (2), 356-71, 1999.
- Shetty, S, Takahashi, T, Matsui, H, Ayengar, R, Raghow, R. Transcriptional autorepression of Msx1 gene is mediated by interactions of Msx1 protein with a multi-protein transcriptional complex containing TATA-binding protein, Sp1 and cAMP-response-element-binding protein-binding protein (CBP/p300). Biochem J, 339 ( Pt 3), 751-8, 1999.
- von Wronski, MA, Hirano, KI, Cagen, LM, Wilcox, HG, Raghow, R, Thorngate, FE, Heimberg, M, Davidson, NO, Elam, MB. Insulin increases expression of apobec-1, the catalytic subunit of the apolipoprotein B mRNA editing complex in rat hepatocytes. Metabolism, 47 (7), 869-73, 1998.
- Sudarshan, C, Yaswen, L, Kulkarni, A, Raghow, R. Phenotypic consequences of transforming growth factor beta1 gene ablation in murine embryonic fibroblasts: autocrine control of cell proliferation and extracellular matrix biosynthesis. J Cell Physiol, 176 (1), 67-75, 1998.
- Kirtikara, K, Laulederkind, SJ, Raghow, R, Kanekura, T, Ballou, LR. An accessory role for ceramide in interleukin-1beta induced prostaglandin synthesis. Mol Cell Biochem, 181 (1-2), 41-8, 1998.
- Kirtikara, K, Morham, SG, Raghow, R, Laulederkind, SJ, Kanekura, T, Goorha, S, Ballou, LR. Compensatory prostaglandin E2 biosynthesis in cyclooxygenase 1 or 2 null cells. J Exp Med, 187 (4), 517-23, 1998.
- Wall, CD, Conley, PB, Armendariz-Borunda, J, Sudarshan, C, Wagner, JE, Raghow, R, Jennings, LK. Expression of alpha IIb beta 3 integrin (GPIIb-IIIa) in myeloid cell lines and normal CD34+/CD33+ bone marrow cells. Blood Cells Mol Dis, 23 (3), 361-76, 1997.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Takahashi, T, Raghow, R. Transcription factor Sp1 is necessary for basal calmodulin gene transcription and for its selective stimulation by insulin. Endocrinology, 138 (11), 5052-4, 1997.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Takahashi, T, Raghow, R. Insulin stimulates rat calmodulin I gene transcription through activation of Sp1. Proc Assoc Am Physicians, 109 (5), 470-7, 1997.
- Takahashi, T, Guron, C, Shetty, S, Matsui, H, Raghow, R. A minimal murine Msx-1 gene promoter. Organization of its cis-regulatory motifs and their role in transcriptional activation in cells in culture and in transgenic mice. J Biol Chem, 272 (36), 22667-78, 1997.
- Poppleton, HM, Raghow, R. Transcriptional activation of the minimal human Proalpha1(I) collagen promoter: obligatory requirement for Sp1. Biochem J, 323 ( Pt 1), 225-31, 1997.
- Ballou, LR, Laulederkind, SJ, Rosloniec, EF, Raghow, R. Ceramide signalling and the immune response. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1301 (3), 273-87, 1996.
- Wang, Q, Raghow, R. Okadaic acid-induced transcriptional downregulation of type I collagen gene expression is mediated by protein phosphatase 2A. Mol Cell Biochem, 158 (1), 33-42, 1996.
- Guron, C, Sudarshan, C, Raghow, R. Molecular organization of the gene encoding murine transforming growth factor beta 1. Gene, 165 (2), 325-6, 1995.
- Laulederkind, SJ, Bielawska, A, Raghow, R, Hannun, YA, Ballou, LR. Ceramide induces interleukin 6 gene expression in human fibroblasts. J Exp Med, 182 (2), 599-604, 1995.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Smoake, JA, Raghow, RS. Insulin-stimulated calmodulin gene expression in rat H-411E cells can be selectively blocked by antisense oligonucleotides. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 210 (3), 921-30, 1995.
- Armendariz-Borunda, J, Simkevich, CP, Roy, N, Raghow, R, Kang, AH, Seyer, JM. Activation of Ito cells involves regulation of AP-1 binding proteins and induction of type I collagen gene expression. Biochem J, 304 ( Pt 3), 817-24, 1994.
- Postlethwaite, AE, Raghow, R, Stricklin, G, Ballou, L, Sampath, TK. Osteogenic protein-1, a bone morphogenic protein member of the TGF-beta superfamily, shares chemotactic but not fibrogenic properties with TGF-beta. J Cell Physiol, 161 (3), 562-70, 1994.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Elam, MB, Green, S, Raghow, R. Regulation of calmodulin gene expression by insulin is both transcriptional and post-transcriptional. J Lab Clin Med, 124 (3), 348-58, 1994.
- Raghow, R. The role of extracellular matrix in postinflammatory wound healing and fibrosis. FASEB J, 8 (11), 823-31, 1994.
- Thorngate, FE, Raghow, R, Wilcox, HG, Werner, CS, Heimberg, M, Elam, MB. Insulin promotes the biosynthesis and secretion of apolipoprotein B-48 by altering apolipoprotein B mRNA editing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 91 (12), 5392-6, 1994.
- Kuzuoka, M, Takahashi, T, Guron, C, Raghow, R. Murine homeobox-containing gene, Msx-1: analysis of genomic organization, promoter structure, and potential autoregulatory cis-acting elements. Genomics, 21 (1), 85-91, 1994.
- Katayama, K, Armendariz-Borunda, J, Raghow, R, Kang, AH, Seyer, JM. A pentapeptide from type I procollagen promotes extracellular matrix production. J Biol Chem, 268 (14), 9941-4, 1993.
- Katai, H, Stephenson, JD, Simkevich, CP, Thompson, JP, Raghow, R. An AP-1-like motif in the first intron of human Pro alpha 1(I) collagen gene is a critical determinant of its transcriptional activity. Mol Cell Biochem, 118 (2), 119-29, 1992.
- Postlethwaite, AE, Holness, MA, Katai, H, Raghow, R. Human fibroblasts synthesize elevated levels of extracellular matrix proteins in response to interleukin 4. J Clin Invest, 90 (4), 1479-85, 1992.
- Ballou, LR, Chao, CP, Holness, MA, Barker, SC, Raghow, R. Interleukin-1-mediated PGE2 production and sphingomyelin metabolism. Evidence for the regulation of cyclooxygenase gene expression by sphingosine and ceramide. J Biol Chem, 267 (28), 20044-50, 1992.
- Simkevich, CP, Thompson, JP, Poppleton, H, Raghow, R. The transcriptional tissue specificity of the human pro alpha 1 (I) collagen gene is determined by a negative cis-regulatory element in the promoter. Biochem J, 286 ( Pt 1), 179-85, 1992.
- Spinolo, LH, Raghow, R, Crowley, WR. Oxytocin messenger RNA levels in hypothalamic, paraventricular, and supraoptic nuclei during pregnancy and lactation in rats. Evidence for regulation by afferent stimuli from the offspring. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 652, 425-8, 1992.
- Katayama, K, Seyer, JM, Raghow, R, Kang, AH. Regulation of extracellular matrix production by chemically synthesized subfragments of type I collagen carboxy propeptide. Biochemistry, 30 (29), 7097-104, 1991.
- Thompson, JP, Simkevich, CP, Holness, MA, Kang, AH, Raghow, R. In vitro methylation of the promoter and enhancer of Pro alpha 1(I) collagen gene leads to its transcriptional inactivation. J Biol Chem, 266 (4), 2549-56, 1991.
- Katai, H, Terato, K, Raghow, R. Generation of monoclonal antibodies to the zinc finger domain of the eukaryotic transcription factor Sp1. Mol Cell Biochem, 101 (1), 73-81, 1991.
- Ohyama, K, Seyer, JM, Raghow, R, Kang, AH. Extracellular matrix phenotype of rat mesangial cells in culture. Biosynthesis of collagen types I, III, IV, and V and a low molecular weight collagenous component and their regulation by dexamethasone. J Lab Clin Med, 116 (2), 219-27, 1990.
- Ohyama, K, Seyer, JM, Raghow, R, Kang, AH. A factor from damaged rat kidney stimulates collagen biosynthesis by mesangial cells. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1053 (2-3), 173-8, 1990.
- Solomon, SS, Palazzolo, MR, Green, S, Raghow, R. Expression of calmodulin gene is down-regulated in diabetic BB rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 168 (3), 1007-12, 1990.
- Armendariz-Borunda, J, Seyer, JM, Kang, AH, Raghow, R. Regulation of TGF beta gene expression in rat liver intoxicated with carbon tetrachloride. FASEB J, 4 (2), 215-21, 1990.
- Raghow, R, Thompson, JP. Molecular mechanisms of collagen gene expression. Mol Cell Biochem, 86 (1), 5-18, 1989.
- Gupta, RC, Simpson, WA, Raghow, R. Interaction of fibronectin with DNA/anti-DNA complexes from systemic lupus erythematosus: role of activated complement Cl in modulation of the interactions. Clin Immunol Immunopathol, 46 (3), 368-81, 1988.
- Postlethwaite, AE, Raghow, R, Stricklin, GP, Poppleton, H, Seyer, JM, Kang, AH. Modulation of fibroblast functions by interleukin 1: increased steady-state accumulation of type I procollagen messenger RNAs and stimulation of other functions but not chemotaxis by human recombinant interleukin 1 alpha and beta. J Cell Biol, 106 (2), 311-8, 1988.