RAMIN ALEMZADEH, M.D., F.A.A.P.
Professor of Pediatrics
Chief, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolsim
49 NORTH DUNLAP ST MEMPHIS TN 38103
- Board Cert., Northshore University Hospital-Cornell University Medical College, Pediatric Endocrinology
- Board Cert., Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, Pediatrics
- None, North Middlesex Hospital, Internship in Surgery & Medicine
- M.D., St. George's University School of Medicine, Medicine
Download My CV
Clinical Care Specialty/Interest
Dr. Alemzadeh''s clinical interests include but not limited to management of type 1 and type 2 diabetes, lipid disorders, metabolic bone disorders, polycystic ovary syndrome, disorders of growth and puberty and adrenal disorders.
Type 1 and type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemias, cardiometabolic syndrome, vascular inflammation, adipoinsular axis, hyperinsulinemia, potassium channel and vitamin D metabolism
As a clinical endocrinologist and research scientist, Dr. Alemzadeh has participated in designing and implementing a number of research projects examining insulin pump technology, glucose sensor technology and behavior health-related issues affecting children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1D). In addition, he has had longstanding research interests and activities in both clinical and experimental models of obesity, metabolic syndrome and T1D and T2D.
Dr. Alemzadeh has received peer election for inclusion in Best Doctors in America for more than seven consecutive years, and he is a reviewer on the editorial board of more than a dozen medical journals. He has authored and co-authored numerous peer-reviewed scientific clinical and experimental articles and book chapters, and he is the lead author for the Diabetes Chapter for "Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics," which is published by Saunders in Philadelphia and is now in its nineteenth edition. He also has co-chaired eight annual Continuing Medical Education (CME) diabetes symposiums at Medical College of Wisconsin since 2008. His study on the relationship of vitamin D in obese children and adolescents with such factors as insulin sensitivity and ethnicity was one of the top ten cited papers in 2008 in "Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental." Other attention has been directed to his research on the relationship between polycystic ovary syndrome and cardiometabolic syndrome in obese adolescent girls.
- Rybak, TM, Ali, JS, Berlin, KS, Klages, KL, Banks, GG, Kamody, RC, Ferry, RJ, Alemzadeh, R, Diaz-Thomas, AM. Patterns of Family Functioning and Diabetes-Specific Conflict in Relation to Glycemic Control and Health-Related Quality of Life Among Youth With Type 1 Diabetes. J Pediatr Psychol, 2016.
- Boucher-Berry, C, Parton, EA, Alemzadeh, R. Excess weight gain during insulin pump therapy is associated with higher basal insulin doses. J Diabetes Metab Disord, 15, 47, 2016.
- Alemzadeh, R, Kichler, J. Uric Acid-Induced Inflammation Is Mediated by the Parathyroid Hormone:25-Hydroxyvitamin D Ratio in Obese Adolescents. Metab Syndr Relat Disord, 14 (3), 167-74, 2016.
- Kawadry O, Kichler J, Hoffmann RG, Dasgupta M, Alemzadeh R. Clinical Utility of Triglyceride: HDL-Cholesterol Ratio as a Surrogate Marker of Inflammation in Pediatric Obesity. J Obes Overweig, 2 (3), 302-308, 2016.
- Bellfield EJ, Alemzadeh R. Recurrent ovarian Sertoli–Leydig cell tumor in a child with Peutz–Jeghers syndrome. Oxford Medical Case Reports, 8, 186-189, 2016.
- Samyn, MM, Dholakia, R, Wang, H, Co-Vu, J, Yan, K, Widlansky, ME, LaDisa, JF, Simpson, P, Alemzadeh, R. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging-based computational fluid dynamics/fluid-structure interaction pilot study to detect early vascular changes in pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes. Pediatr Cardiol, 36 (4), 851-61, 2015.
- Tran, ST, Salamon, KS, Hainsworth, KR, Kichler, JC, Davies, WH, Alemzadeh, R, Weisman, SJ. Pain reports in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Child Health Care, 19 (1), 43-52, 2015.
- Onengut-Gumuscu S, Chen WM, Burren O, Cooper NJ, Quinlan AR, Mychaleckyj JC, Farber E, Bonnie JK, Szpak M, Schofield E, Achuthan P, Guo H, Fortune MD, Stevens H, Walker NM, Ward LD, Kundaje A, Kellis M, Daly MJ, Barrett JC, Cooper JD, Deloukas P; Type 1 Diabetes Genetics Consortium, Todd JA, Wallace C, Concannon P, Rich SS.. Fine mapping of type 1 diabetes susceptibility loci and evidence for colocalization of causal variants with lymphoid gene enhancers.. Nat Genet, 47 (4), 381-386, 2015.
- Sosenko JM, Skyler JS, Beam CA, Boulware D, Mahon JL, Krischer JP, Greenbaum CJ, Rafkin LE, Matheson D, Herold KC, Palmer JP; Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet and Diabetes Prevention Trial–Type 1 Study Groups.. The development and utility of a novel scale that quantifies the glycemic progression toward type 1 diabetes over 6 months.. Diabetes Care, 38 (5), 940-942, 2015.
- Babar, G, Alemzadeh, R. A case of acute psychosis in an adolescent male. Case Rep Endocrinol, 2014, 937631, 2013.
- Sosenko, JM, Skyler, JS, Beam, CA, Krischer, JP, Greenbaum, CJ, Mahon, J, Rafkin, LE, Matheson, D, Herold, KC, Palmer, JP, ,. Acceleration of the loss of the first-phase insulin response during the progression to type 1 diabetes in diabetes prevention trial-type 1 participants. Diabetes, 62 (12), 4179-83, 2013.
- Alemzadeh, R, Kichler, J. Gender differences in the association of insulin resistance and high-sensitivity c-reactive protein in obese adolescents. J Diabetes Metab Disord, 13 (1), 35, 2013.
- Kichler, JC, Kaugars, AS, Marik, P, Nabors, L, Alemzadeh, R. Effectiveness of groups for adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus and their parents. Fam Syst Health, 31 (3), 280-93, 2013.
- Sosenko, JM, Skyler, JS, Palmer, JP, Krischer, JP, Yu, L, Mahon, J, Beam, CA, Boulware, DC, Rafkin, L, Schatz, D, Eisenbarth, G, , , ,. The prediction of type 1 diabetes by multiple autoantibody levels and their incorporation into an autoantibody risk score in relatives of type 1 diabetic patients. Diabetes Care, 36 (9), 2615-20, 2013.
- Sosenko JM, Skyler JS, Palmer JP, Krischer JP, Yu L, Mahon J, Beam CA, Boulware DC, Rafkin L, Schatz D, Eisenbarth G; Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Study Group; Diabetes Prevention Trial-Type 1 Study Group.. The prediction of type 1 diabetes by multiple autoantibody levels and their incorporation into an autoantibody risk score in relatives of type 1 diabetic patients.. Diabetes Care, 36 (9), 2615-2620, 2013.
- Alemzadeh, R, Kichler, J. Parathyroid hormone is associated with biomarkers of insulin resistance and inflammation, independent of vitamin D status, in obese adolescents. Metab Syndr Relat Disord, 10 (6), 422-9, 2012.
- Alemzadeh, R, Hoffmann, RG, Dasgupta, M, Parton, E. Development of optimal kids insulin dosing system formulas for young children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Technol Ther, 14 (5), 418-22, 2012.
- Kichler, JC, Kaugars, AS, Maglio, K, Alemzadeh, R. Exploratory analysis of the relationships among different methods of assessing adherence and glycemic control in youth with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Health Psychol, 31 (1), 35-42, 2012.
- Heneghan, M, Alemzadeh, R. Cushing disease as possible cause of persistent growth failure despite growth hormone therapy in a small for gestational age male. Pituitary, 14 (4), 409-13, 2011.
- Kaugars, AS, Kichler, JC, Alemzadeh, R. Assessing readiness to change the balance of responsibility for managing type 1 diabetes mellitus: adolescent, mother, and father perspectives. Pediatr Diabetes, 12 (6), 547-55, 2011.
- Kaugars, AS, Zebracki, K, Kichler, JC, Fitzgerald, CJ, Greenley, RN, Alemzadeh, R, Holmbeck, GN. Use of the Family Interaction Macro-coding System with families of adolescents: psychometric properties among pediatric and healthy populations. J Pediatr Psychol, 36 (5), 539-51, 2011.
- Babar, GS, Zidan, H, Widlansky, ME, Das, E, Hoffmann, RG, Daoud, M, Alemzadeh, R. Impaired endothelial function in preadolescent children with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 34 (3), 681-5, 2011.
- Alemzadeh, R, Kansra, AR. New adolescent polycystic ovary syndrome perspectives. Minerva Pediatr, 63 (1), 35-47, 2011.
- Kichler, JC, Kaugars, AS, Ellis, J, Alemzadeh, R. Exploring self-management characteristics in youths with type 1 diabetes mellitus: does membership in a glycemic control category matter. Pediatr Diabetes, 11 (8), 536-43, 2010.
- Alemzadeh, R, Kichler, J, Calhoun, M. Spectrum of metabolic dysfunction in relationship with hyperandrogenemia in obese adolescent girls with polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol, 162 (6), 1093-9, 2010.
- Hilner JE, Perdue LH, Sides EG, Pierce JJ, Wägner AM, Aldrich A, Loth A, Albret L, Wagenknecht LE, Nierras C, Akolkar B; T1DGC.. Designing and implementing sample and data collection for an international genetics study: the Type 1 Diabetes Genetics Consortium (T1DGC).. Clin Trials, 7 ((1 Suppl)), S5-S32, 2010.
- Evertsen, J, Alemzadeh, R, Wang, X. Increasing incidence of pediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus in Southeastern Wisconsin: relationship with body weight at diagnosis. PLoS One, 4 (9), e6873, 2009.
- Babar GS, Ali O, Parton EA, Hoffmann RG, Alemzadeh R.. Factors associated with adherence to continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in pediatric diabetes.. Diabetes Technol Ther., 11 (3), 131-137, 2009.
- Hains AA, Berlin KS, Davies WH, Sato AF, Smothers MK, Clifford LC, Alemzadeh R.. Attributions of teacher reactions to diabetes self-care behaviors.. J Pediatr Psychol., 34 (1), 97-107, 2009.
- Jailwala P, Waukau J, Glisic S, Jana S, Ehlenbach S, Hessner M, Alemzadeh R, Matsuyama S, Laud P, Wang X, Ghosh S.. Apoptosis of CD4+ CD25(high) T cells in type 1 diabetes may be partially mediated by IL-2 deprivation.. PLoS One., 4 (8), e6527, 2009.
- Glisic S, Klinker M, Waukau J, Jailwala P, Jana S, Basken J, Wang T, Alemzadeh R, Hagopian W, Ghosh S.. Genetic association of HLA DQB1 with CD4+CD25+(high) T-cell apoptosis in type 1 diabetes.. Genes Immun, 10 (4), 334-340., 2009.
- Alemzadeh R, Parton EA, Holzum MK.. Feasibility of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion and daily supplemental insulin glargine injection in children with type 1 diabetes.. Diabetes Technol Ther., 11 (8), 481-486, 2009.
- Alemzadeh, R, Karlstad, MD, Tushaus, K, Buchholz, M. Diazoxide enhances basal metabolic rate and fat oxidation in obese Zucker rats. Metabolism, 57 (11), 1597-607, 2008.
- Alemzadeh, R, Kichler, J, Babar, G, Calhoun, M. Hypovitaminosis D in obese children and adolescents: relationship with adiposity, insulin sensitivity, ethnicity, and season. Metabolism, 57 (2), 183-91, 2008.
- Wang X, Jia S, Geoffrey R, Alemzadeh R, Ghosh S, Hessner MJ.. Identification of a molecular signature in human type 1 diabetes mellitus using serum and functional genomics.. J Immunol, 180 (3), 1929-1937., 2008.
- Sato AF, Berlin KS, Hains AA, Davies WH, Smothers MK, Clifford LM, Alemzadeh R.. Teacher support of adherence for adolescents with type 1 diabetes: preferred teacher support behaviors and youths' perceptions of support.. Diabetes Educ, 34 (5), 866-873, 2008.
- Zidan H, Lo S, Wiebe D, Talano J, Alemzadeh R. Severe hypercholesterolemia mediated by lipoprotein X in a pediatric patient with chronic graft-versus-host disease of the liver.. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 50 (6), 1280-1281, 2008.
- Glisic-Milosavljevic, S, Wang, T, Koppen, M, Kramer, J, Ehlenbach, S, Waukau, J, Jailwala, P, Jana, S, Alemzadeh, R, Ghosh, S. Dynamic changes in CD4+ CD25+(high) T cell apoptosis after the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Clin Exp Immunol, 150 (1), 75-82, 2007.
- Glisic-Milosavljevic S, Waukau J, Jailwala P, Jana S, Khoo HJ, Albertz H, Woodliff J, Koppen M, Alemzadeh R, Hagopian W, Ghosh S.. At-risk and recent-onset type 1 diabetic subjects have increased apoptosis in the CD4+CD25+ T-cell fraction.. PLoS One, 2 (1), e146., 2007.
- Hains AA, Berlin KS, Davies WH, Smothers MK, Sato AF, Alemzadeh R.. 38. Attributions of adolescents with type 1 diabetes related to performing diabetes care around friends and peers: the moderating role of friend support.. J Pediatr Psychol, 32 (5), 561-570, 2007.
- Hains AA, Berlin KS, Davies WH, Parton EA, Alemzadeh R.. Attributions of adolescents with type 1 diabetes in social situations: relationship with expected adherence, diabetes stress, and metabolic control.. Diabetes Care, 29 (4), 818-822, 2006.
- Battaglia MR, Alemzadeh R, Katte H, Hall PL, Perlmuter LC.. Brief report: disordered eating and psychosocial factors in adolescent females with type 1 diabetes mellitus.. J Pediatr Psychol., 31 (6), 552-556, 2006.
- Berlin Ks, Davies WH, Jastrowski KE, Hains AA, Parton EA, Alemzadeh R. Contextual assessment of problematic situations identified by insulin pump using adolescents and their parents Families. Families, Systems and Health, 24 (1), 33-44, 2006.
- Alemzadeh R, Ellis J, Calhoun M, Kichler J.. Predictors of metabolic control at one year in a population of pediatric patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a retrospective study.. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab, 19 (9), 1141-1149., 2006.
- Alemzadeh, R, Palma-Sisto, P, Parton, EA, Holzum, MK. Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion and multiple dose of insulin regimen display similar patterns of blood glucose excursions in pediatric type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Technol Ther, 7 (4), 587-96, 2005.
- Alemzadeh R, Tushaus K.. Diazoxide attenuates insulin secretion and hepatic lipogenesis in zucker diabetic fatty rats.. Med Sci Monit, 11 (12), BR439-448., 2005.
- Alemzadeh R, Berhe T, Wyatt DT.. Flexible insulin therapy with glargine insulin improved glycemic control and reduced severe hypoglycemia among preschool-aged children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.. Pediatrics, 5 (115), 1320-1324., 2005.
- Alemzadeh R, Fledelius C, Bodvarsdottir T, Sturis J.. Attenuation of hyperinsulinemia by NN414, a SUR1/Kir6.2 selective K-adenosine triphosphate channel opener, improves glucose tolerance and lipid profile in obese Zucker rats.. Metabolism, 53 (4), 441-447, 2004.
- Alemzadeh R, Ellis JN, Holzum MK, Parton EA, Wyatt DT.. Beneficial effects of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion and flexible multiple daily insulin regimen using insulin glargine in type 1 diabetes.. Pediatrics 114(1):, 114 (1), e91-5, 2004.
- Alemzadeh R, Feehan T.. Variable effects of beta-carotene therapy in a child with erythropoietic protoporphyria.. Eur J Pediatr, 163 (9), 547-549, 2004.
- Alemzadeh R, Tushaus KM.. Modulation of adipoinsular axis in prediabetic zucker diabetic fatty rats by diazoxide.. Endocrinology, 145 (12), 5476-5484., 2004.
- Alemzadeh R, Zhang J, Tushaus K, Koontz J.. Diazoxide enhances adipose tissue protein kinase B activation and glucose transporter-4 expression in obese Zucker rats.. Med Sci Monit., 3 (10), BR53-60., 2004.
- Alemzadeh, R, Loppnow, C, Parton, E, Kirby, M. Glucose sensor evaluation of glycemic instability in pediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Technol Ther, 5 (2), 167-73, 2003.
- Alemzadeh R, Palma-Sisto P, Parton E, Totka J, Kirby M.. Beneficial effects of flexible insulin therapy in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.. Acta Diabetol., 40 (3), 137-142, 2003.
- Alemzadeh R, Holshouser S, Massey P, Koontz J.. Chronic suppression of insulin by diazoxide alters the activities of key enzymes regulating hepatic gluconeogenesis in Zucker rats.. Eur J Endocrinol, 6 (146), 871-879., 2002.
- Binion DG, Alemzadeh R.. Growth of an IBD controversy: growth hormone and Crohn's disease.. Inflamm Bowel Dis., 7 (2), 176-178, 2001.
- Kay JP, Alemzadeh R, Langley G, DAngelo L, Smith P, Holshouser S.. Beneficial effects of metformin in normoglycemic morbidly obese adolescents.. Metabolism, 50 (12), 1457-1461., 2001.
- Hensley IE, Lawler JE, Alemzadeh R, Holshouser SJ.. Diazoxide effects on hypothalamic and extra-hypothalamic NPY content in Zucker rats.. Peptides, 22 (6), 899-908, 2001.
- Standridge M, Alemzadeh R, Zemel M, Koontz J, Moustaid-Moussa N.. Diazoxide down-regulates leptin and lipid metabolizing enzymes in adipose tissue of Zucker rats.. FASEB J, 14 (3), 455-460, 2000.
- Alemzadeh R, Holshouser S.. Effect of diazoxide on brain capillary insulin receptor binding and food intake in hyperphagic obese Zucker rats.. Endocrinology, 140 (7), 3197-3202, 1999.
- Alemzadeh R.. Treatment of childhood and adolescent obesity. Alemzadeh R.. Endocr Pract, 4 (6), 417-422, 1998.
- Alemzadeh R, Langley G, Upchurch L, Smith P, Slonim AE.. Beneficial effect of diazoxide in obese hyperinsulinemic adults.. J Clin Endocrinol Metab., 83 (6), 1911-1915., 1998.
- Alemzadeh R, Upchurch L, McCarthy V.. Anabolic effects of growth hormone treatment in young children with cystic fibrosis.. J Am Coll Nutr., 17 (5), 419-424, 1998.
- Alemzadeh R, Jacobs W, Pitukcheewanont P.. Antiobesity effect of diazoxide in obese Zucker rats.. Metabolism., 45 (3), 334-341, 1996.
- Alemzadeh R, Gammeltoft K, Matteson K.. Efficacy of low-dose dextromethorphan in the treatment of nonketotic hyperglycinemia.. Pediatrics, 96 ((6 Pt 1)), 924-926, 1996.
- Pitukcheewanont, P, Alemzadeh, R, Jacobs, WR, Jones, BH, Eberle, AJ. Does glycemic control affect growth velocity in children with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Acta Diabetol, 32 (3), 148-52, 1995.
- Kohn B, Day D, Alemzadeh R, Enerio D, Patel SV, Pelczar JV, Speiser PW.. Splicing mutation in CYP21 associated with delayed presentation of salt-wasting congenital adrenal hyperplasia.. Am J Med Genet, 57 (3), 450-454, 1995.
- Zimmerman, AW, Alemzadeh R, Eberle AJ. Hormones in pediatric epilepsy. International Pediatrics, 8 (2), 272-279, 1993.
- Alemzadeh R, Slonim AE, Zdanowicz MM, Maturo J.. Modification of insulin resistance by diazoxide in obese Zucker rats.. Endocrinology, 133 (2), 705-712, 1993.
- Alemzadeh R, Goldberg T, Fort P, Recker B, Lifshitz F.. Reported dietary intakes of patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: limitations of dietary recall.. Nutrition, 8 (2), 87-93, 1992.
- Alemzadeh R, Friedman S, Fort P, Recker B, Lifshitz F.. Is there compensated hypothyroidism in infancy?. Pediatrics, 90 ((2 Pt 1)), 207-211, 1992.