PATRICIA A. COWAN, Ph.D., M.N., BSN
Associate Professor, Nursing-Acute/Chronic
Director, PhD in Nursing Program
Ste 1023 920 Madison Building
http://www.uthsc.edu/nursing/faculty and staff/cowan.php
- Ph.D., University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Nursing
- M.S.N., University of Kansas, Kansas City, Nursing
- B.S.N., University of MO, Columbia BSN Nursing Jul 1981 Columbia, MO, Nursing
Obesity, fat mass, physical activity, nutrition, weight loss, diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance, cardiovascular risk, inflammation, c-reactive protein, fibrinogen, lifestyle, children, adolescents, transplant, kidney transplant, kidney-pancreas transplant
- Cupples, CK, Cashion, AK, Cowan, PA, Tutor, RS, Wicks, MN, Williams, R, Eason, JD. Characterizing dietary intake and physical activity affecting weight gain in kidney transplant recipients. Prog Transplant, 22 (1), 62-70, 2012.
- Tylavsky, FA, Cowan, PA, Terrell, S, Hutson, M, Velasquez-Mieyer, P. Calcium intake and body composition in African-American children and adolescents at risk for overweight and obesity. Nutrients, 2 (9), 950-64, 2010.
- Neira, CP, Hartig, M, Cowan, PA, Velasquez-Mieyer, PA. The prevalence of impaired glucose metabolism in Hispanics with two or more risk factors for metabolic syndrome in the primary care setting. J Am Acad Nurse Pract, 21 (3), 173-8, 2009.
- Henry-Okafor, Q., Cowan, P.A., Zhao, D. X. M., & Khoo, M. S. C.. Racial differences in cardiac risk profiles in women undergoing cardiac catheterization. The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 4 (13), 49-54, 2009.
- Velasquez-Mieyer, PA, Cowan, PA, Neira, CP, Tylavsky, F. Assessing the risk of impaired glucose metabolism in overweight adolescents in a clinical setting. J Nutr Health Aging, 12 (10), 750s-7s, 2008.
- VelÃ¡squez-Mieyer, PA, Cowan, PA, PÃ©rez-Faustinelli, S, Nieto-MartÃ­nez, R, Villegas-Barreto, C, Tolley, EA, Lustig, RH, Alpert, BS. Racial disparity in glucagon-like peptide 1 and inflammation markers among severely obese adolescents. Diabetes Care, 31 (4), 770-5, 2008.
- Russell, CK, Burchum, JR, Likes, WM, Jacob, S, Graff, JC, Driscoll, C, Britt, T, Adymy, C, Cowan, P. WebQuests: creating engaging, student-centered, constructivist learning activities. Comput Inform Nurs, 26 (2), 78-87; quiz 88-9, 2008.
- Sabek, O., Cowan, P.A., Fraga, D., & Gaber, A.O.. The effect of isolation methods and the use of different enzymes on islet yield. Cell Transplantation, 7 (17), 785-792, 2008.
- Russell, C. K., Burchum, J. R., Likes, W., Jacob, S., Craff, C., Driscoll, C., Britt, T., Adymy, C., & Cowan, P.A.. WebQuests: Creating engaging, student-centered, constructivist learning activities. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 2 (26), 78-87, 2008.
- SÃ¡nchez, ZV, Cashion, AK, Cowan, PA, Jacob, SR, Wicks, MN, Velasquez-Mieyer, P. Perceived barriers and facilitators to physical activity in kidney transplant recipients. Prog Transplant, 17 (4), 324-31, 2007.
- Velasquez-Mieyer, P, Neira, CP, Nieto, R, Cowan, PA. Obesity and cardiometabolic syndrome in children. Ther Adv Cardiovasc Dis, 1 (1), 61-81, 2007.
- Harden, KA, Cowan, PA, Velasquez-Mieyer, P, Patton, SB. Effects of lifestyle intervention and metformin on weight management and markers of metabolic syndrome in obese adolescents. J Am Acad Nurse Pract, 19 (7), 368-77, 2007.
- Cashion, AK, SÃ¡nchez, ZV, Cowan, PA, Hathaway, DK, Lo Costello, A, Gaber, AO. Changes in weight during the first year after kidney transplantation. Prog Transplant, 17 (1), 40-7, 2007.
- Krieder, R. B., Earnest, C. P., Lundberg, J., Rasmussen, C., Greenwood, M., Cowan, P., & Almada, A. L.. Effects of ingesting protein with various forms of carbohydrate following resistance-exercise on substrate availability and markers of anabolism, catabolism, and immunity. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 18 (14), Available, 2007.
- Burchum, J. L. R., Russell, C. K., Likes, W., Jacob, S., Craff, C., Driscoll, C., Britt, T., Adymy, C., & Cowan, P. A.. Confronting challenges in online teaching: The WebQuest solution. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 1 (3), 40-57, 2007.
- Harden, K., Cowan, P.A., Patton, S., & Velasquez-Mieyer, P.A.. Effects of lifestyle intervention and metformin on weight management and markers of metabolic syndrome in obese adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (19), 368-377, 2007.
- Sabek, OM, Cowan, P, Fraga, DW, Gaber, AO. The effect of donor factors on human islet yield and their in vivo function. Prog Transplant, 16 (4), 350-4, 2006.
- Sabek O., Cowan, P. A., Fraga, D., & Gaber, A. O.. Effect of donor factors on islet yields and function.. Progress in Transplantation, 5 (16), 350-354, 2006.
- Koh-Banerjee, PK, Ferreira, MP, Greenwood, M, Bowden, RG, Cowan, PN, Almada, AL, Kreider, RB. Effects of calcium pyruvate supplementation during training on body composition, exercise capacity, and metabolic responses to exercise. Nutrition, 21 (3), 312-9, 2005.
- Koh-Banerjee, P. K., Ferreira, M. P., Greenwood, M., Bowden, R. G., Cowan, P. A., Almada, A., & Kreider, R. B.. Effects of calcium pyruvate supplementation during training on body composition, exercise capacity, and metabolic responses to exercise. Nutrition, 3 (21), 312-316, 2005.
- Hudson, C., Stotts, C., Pruitt, J., & Cowan, P. A.. Parents’ diet-related attitudes and knowledge, family fast food dollars spent, and the fruit and vegetable intake of their preschool children. Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research, 6 (5), 1-23, 2005.
- 15. Velásquez-Mieyer, P.A., Perez-Faustillini, S., & Cowan, P.A.. Identifying children at risk for obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Diabetes Spectrum (18), 213-220, 2005.
- Henderson, S., Magu, B., Rassmussen, C., Lancaster, S., Kerksick, C., Smith, P., Melton, C., Cowan, P., Greenwood, M., Earnest, C., Almada, A., Milnor, P., Magrans, T., Bowden, R., Ounpraseuth, S., Thomas, A., & Kreider, R. B.. Effects of coleus forskohlii supplementation on body composition and hematological profiles in mildly overweight women. Journal of the International Society of Sport Nutrition, 2 (2), 54-62, 2005.
- Cowan, PA. Advancing evidence-based practice through meta-analysis. Nephrol Nurs J, 31 (3), 343-4, 347, 2004.
- Velasquez-Mieyer, PA, Umpierrez, GE, Lustig, RH, Cashion, AK, Cowan, PA, Christensen, M, Spencer, KA, Burghen, GA. Race affects insulin and GLP-1 secretion and response to a long-acting somatostatin analogue in obese adults. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 28 (2), 330-3, 2004.
- Velasquez-Mieyer P. A., Cowan, P. A., Perez-Faustinelli, S., Markee, J., & Burghen, G. A.. Predicting impaired glucose tolerance in severely obese adolescents. Proceedings of the International Congress of Endocrinology, 1433-1437, 2004.
- Christensen, M., Rashed, S. M., Sinclair, J., Cowan, P. A., Velasquez-Mieyer P. A., & Burghen, G. A.. Type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents: The new challenge. Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics (9), 14-26, 2004.
- Earnest, C. P., Lancaster, S., Rasmussen, C., Kerksick, C., Lucia, A., Greenwood, M., Alamada, A., Lundberg, J., Cowan, P. A., & Kreider, R. B. Low versus high glycemic index carbohydrate gel ingestion during simulated 64-km cycling time trials. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 3 (18), 466-472, 2004.
- Velasquez-Mieyer, PA, Cowan, PA, Umpierrez, GE, Lustig, RH, Cashion, AK, Burghen, GA. Racial differences in glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) concentrations and insulin dynamics during oral glucose tolerance test in obese subjects. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 27 (11), 1359-64, 2003.
- Egidi, MF, Cowan, PA, Naseer, A, Gaber, AO. Conversion to sirolimus in solid organ transplantation: a single-center experience. Transplant Proc, 35 (3 Suppl), 131S-137S, 2003.
- Velasquez-Mieyer, PA, Cowan, PA, Arheart, KL, Buffington, CK, Spencer, KA, Connelly, BE, Cowan, GW, Lustig, RH. Suppression of insulin secretion is associated with weight loss and altered macronutrient intake and preference in a subset of obese adults. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 27 (2), 219-26, 2003.
- Shokouh-Amiri, MH, Grewal, HP, Vera, SR, Stratta, RJ, Riely, CA, Fleckenstein, JF, Cowan, P, Gaber, AO. Eighteen years of experience with adult and pediatric liver transplantation at the University of Tennessee, Memphis. Clin Transpl, 255-61, 2001.
- Shokouh-Amiri, MH, Egidi, MF, Lo, A, Grewal, HP, Vera, SR, Stratta, RJ, Kizilisik, T, Nezakatgoo, N, Trofe, J, Alloway, RR, Cowan, PA, Gaber, AO. The importance of early prevention of renal dysfunction in liver transplant recipients. Transplant Proc, 33 (1-2), 1399-400, 2001.
- Cowan, PA, Heizer, KE. Sirolimus: mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitor to prevent kidney rejection. Nephrol Nurs J, 27 (6), 623-5, 2000.
- Hathaway, DK, Wicks, MN, Cashion, AK, Cowan, PA, Milstead, EJ, Gaber, AO. Posttransplant improvement in heart rate variability correlates with improved quality of life. West J Nurs Res, 22 (6), 749-68, 2000.
- Cashion, AK, Cowan, PA, Milstead, EJ, Gaber, AO, Hathaway, DK. Heart rate variability, mortality, and exercise in patients with end-stage renal disease. Prog Transplant, 10 (1), 10-6, 2000.
- Hathaway, DK, Wicks, MN, Cashion, AK, Cowan, PA, Milstead, EJ, Gaber, AO. Heart rate variability and quality of life following kidney and pancreas-kidney transplantation. Transplant Proc, 31 (1-2), 643-4, 1999.
- Cowan, P.A., Hathaway, D.K., and Krieder, R.. The effect of moderate exercise on heart rate variability and exercise capacity: A nonlinear analysis. Complexity and Chaos in Nursing (4), 13-21, 1999.
- Hathaway, DK, Cashion, AK, Milstead, EJ, Winsett, RP, Cowan, PA, Wicks, MN, Gaber, AO. Autonomic dysregulation in patients awaiting kidney transplantation. Am J Kidney Dis, 32 (2), 221-9, 1998.