YALLAPU, MURALI M.
202 CANCER RESEARCH BUILDING
19 SOUTH MANASSAS
MEMPHIS TN 381033403
- Postdoc/Staff Scientist, Sanford Research/USD, Nanoparticles and Drug Delivery
- PostDoc, Cleveland Clinic, Nanoparticles and Drug Delivery
- PostDoc, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Nanoparticles and Drug Delivery
- PostDoc, Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology, South Korea, Materials Science, Hydrogels and Nanoparticles
- Ph.D., Sri Krishnadevarya University, Polymer Science
My research goal is primarily to study the fate of drug nanoformulations that leads to novel insights of various biological factors and properties responsible for effective and targeted delivery. At the translational front, my work focuses on identification of novel therapeutic treatment strategies including development of targeted delivery systems for therapeutic macromolecules; designing of anti-tumor drug formulations for improving target-ability and efficiency; developing novel multi-functional self-assembling polymer materials; and novel applications of these materials for photodynamic, hyperthermia and imaging in cancer therapeutics. The overall goal of my research is to use these studied materials to devise advanced delivery systems that can be tailored to meet the needs of individual cancer patient. Despite recent advances in diagnostic techniques and treatment modalities, cancer remains the second leading cause of mortality in the United States. Development of resistance to therapeutic drugs is a major obstacle in clinical outcome. Thus, developing novel therapeutic strategies are required in overcoming the heterogeneous functions of tumor drug resistance. Therefore, my research interest is to investigate improved therapeutic potential of clinical drug(s) using nanotechnology. Nanoparticle (nanotechnology) drug delivery systems could prove to be a promising adjunct to improve the therapeutic effect by maximizing the permeability and retention of drugs in solid tumors and thus can reduce non-specific toxicity. Additionally, drug nanoformulations also reduce the chemotherapeutic dose required for therapy due to improved targeting of drug, increased intracellular accumulation and sustained release for superior pharmacological actions. These characteristics significantly reduce the chemotherapy related adverse effects and relapse. All these prompted us to put forward more interest to generate safe and effective drug nanoformulations for cancer therapy. I have recently developed and patented a unique magnetic nanoparticle for drug delivery application which hold great potential to improve the therapeutic efficacy of existing natural and chemotherapeutic drugs. Some of my published and un-published data on this nanoformulation exhibits improved drug accumulation in target tissues.
I am interested in developing my investigating skills by evaluating key opportunities in utilizing novel nanotechnology such as multi-functional therapeutics, molecular imaging, in vivo imaging, early detection, prevention, and control. My objective is to translate my basic nanotechnology research results into improved patient care, i.e., a Cancer Nanotechnology Plan (CNPlan). Toward this end, I have obtained a foundation in cancer biology and common skills to test efficacy of various anti-cancer agent nanoformulation and imaging capabilities through in vitro experiments.
Nanoparticles, Nanogels, Multi-functional Nanoformulations, Drug Delivery, Imaging, Targeted Therapies, Novel Drug Treatment Modalities
- Nagesh, PK, Johnson, NR, Boya, VK, Chowdhury, P, Othman, SF, Khalilzad-Sharghi, V, Hafeez, BB, Ganju, A, Khan, S, Behrman, SW, Zafar, N, Chauhan, SC, Jaggi, M, Yallapu, MM. PSMA targeted docetaxel-loaded superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles for prostate cancer. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces, 144, 8-20, 2016.
- Zaman, MS, Chauhan, N, Yallapu, MM, Gara, RK, Maher, DM, Kumari, S, Sikander, M, Khan, S, Zafar, N, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Curcumin Nanoformulation for Cervical Cancer Treatment. Sci Rep, 6, 20051, 2015.
- Yallapu, MM, Nagesh, PK, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Therapeutic Applications of Curcumin Nanoformulations. AAPS J, 2015.
- Rao, P, Yallapu, MM, Sari, Y, Fisher, PB, Kumar, S. Designing Novel Nanoformulations Targeting Glutamate Transporter Excitatory Amino Acid Transporter 2: Implications in Treating Drug Addiction. J Pers Nanomed, 1 (1), 3-9, 2015.
- Khan, S, Chauhan, N, Yallapu, MM, Ebeling, MC, Balakrishna, S, Ellis, RT, Thompson, PA, Balabathula, P, Behrman, SW, Zafar, N, Singh, MM, Halaweish, FT, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Nanoparticle formulation of ormeloxifene for pancreatic cancer. Biomaterials, 53, 731-43, 2015.
- Khan, S, Ebeling, MC, Chauhan, N, Thompson, PA, Gara, RK, Ganju, A, Yallapu, MM, Behrman, SW, Zhao, H, Zafar, N, Singh, MM, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Ormeloxifene Suppresses Desmoplasia and Enhances Sensitivity of Gemcitabine in Pancreatic Cancer. Cancer Res, 2015.
- Yallapu, MM, Chauhan, N, Othman, SF, Khalilzad-Sharghi, V, Ebeling, MC, Khan, S, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Implications of protein corona on physico-chemical and biological properties of magnetic nanoparticles. Biomaterials, 46, 1-12, 2015.
- PSS Rao, Murali M. Yallapu, Youssef Sari, Paul B. Fisher, and Santosh Kumar. Designing Novel Nanoformulations Targeting Glutamate Transporter 1/Excitatory Amino Acid Transporter 2: Implications in Treating Drug Addiction. J Personali NanoMed, 1 (1), 2-7, 2015.
- Khan, S, Ebeling, MC, Zaman, MS, Sikander, M, Yallapu, MM, Chauhan, N, Yacoubian, AM, Behrman, SW, Zafar, N, Kumar, D, Thompson, PA, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. MicroRNA-145 targets MUC13 and suppresses growth and invasion of pancreatic cancer. Oncotarget, 5 (17), 7599-609, 2014.
- Gara, RK, Kumari, S, Ganju, A, Yallapu, MM, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Slit/Robo pathway: a promising therapeutic target for cancer. Drug Discov Today, 2014.
- Yallapu, MM, Katti, KS, Katti, DR, Mishra, SR, Khan, S, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. The Roles of Cellular Nanomechanics in Cancer. Med Res Rev, 2014.
- Yallapu, MM, Khan, S, Maher, DM, Ebeling, MC, Sundram, V, Chauhan, N, Ganju, A, Balakrishna, S, Gupta, BK, Zafar, N, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Anti-cancer activity of curcumin loaded nanoparticles in prostate cancer. Biomaterials, 2014.
- Bajpai, SK, Pathak, V, Soni, B, Mohan, YM. CNWs loaded poly(SA) hydrogels: Effect of high concentration of CNWs on water uptake and mechanical properties. Carbohydr Polym, 106, 351-8, 2014.
- Ganju, A, Yallapu, MM, Khan, S, Behrman, SW, Chauhan, SC, Jaggi, M. Nanoways to overcome docetaxel resistance in prostate cancer. Drug Resist Updat, 2014.
- Yallapu, MM, Ebeling, MC, Khan, S, Sundram, V, Chauhan, N, Gupta, BK, Puumala, SE, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Novel curcumin-loaded magnetic nanoparticles for pancreatic cancer treatment. Mol Cancer Ther, 12 (8), 1471-80, 2013.
- Yallapu, MM, Ebeling, MC, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Plasma proteins interaction with curcumin nanoparticles: implications in cancer therapeutics. Curr Drug Metab, 14 (4), 504-15, 2013.
- Yallapu, MM, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Curcumin nanomedicine: a road to cancer therapeutics. Curr Pharm Des, 19 (11), 1994-2010, 2012.
- Yallapu, MM, Othman, SF, Curtis, ET, Bauer, NA, Chauhan, N, Kumar, D, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Curcumin-loaded magnetic nanoparticles for breast cancer therapeutics and imaging applications. Int J Nanomedicine, 7, 1761-79, 2012.
- Yallapu, MM, Dobberpuhl, MR, Maher, DM, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Design of curcumin loaded cellulose nanoparticles for prostate cancer. Curr Drug Metab, 13 (1), 120-8, 2012.
- Yallapu, MM, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Curcumin nanoformulations: a future nanomedicine for cancer. Drug Discov Today, 17 (1-2), 71-80, 2012.
- Yallapu, MM, Ebeling, MC, Chauhan, N, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Interaction of curcumin nanoformulations with human plasma proteins and erythrocytes. Int J Nanomedicine, 6, 2779-90, 2011.
- Yallapu, MM, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Design and engineering of nanogels for cancer treatment. Drug Discov Today, 16 (9-10), 457-63, 2011.
- Yallapu, MM, Othman, SF, Curtis, ET, Gupta, BK, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Multi-functional magnetic nanoparticles for magnetic resonance imaging and cancer therapy. Biomaterials, 32 (7), 1890-905, 2011.
- Yallapu, MM, Foy, SP, Jain, TK, Labhasetwar, V. PEG-functionalized magnetic nanoparticles for drug delivery and magnetic resonance imaging applications. Pharm Res, 27 (11), 2283-95, 2010.
- Yallapu, MM, Gupta, BK, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Fabrication of curcumin encapsulated PLGA nanoparticles for improved therapeutic effects in metastatic cancer cells. J Colloid Interface Sci, 351 (1), 19-29, 2010.
- Yallapu, MM, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Poly(β-cyclodextrin)/curcumin self-assembly: a novel approach to improve curcumin delivery and its therapeutic efficacy in prostate cancer cells. Macromol Biosci, 10 (10), 1141-51, 2010.
- Yallapu, MM, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. beta-Cyclodextrin-curcumin self-assembly enhances curcumin delivery in prostate cancer cells. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces, 79 (1), 113-25, 2010.
- Yallapu, MM, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Scope of nanotechnology in ovarian cancer therapeutics. J Ovarian Res, 3, 19, 2010.
- Vimala, K, Mohan, YM, Sivudu, KS, Varaprasad, K, Ravindra, S, Reddy, NN, Padma, Y, Sreedhar, B, MohanaRaju, K. Fabrication of porous chitosan films impregnated with silver nanoparticles: a facile approach for superior antibacterial application. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces, 76 (1), 248-58, 2010.
- Yallapu, MM, Maher, DM, Sundram, V, Bell, MC, Jaggi, M, Chauhan, SC. Curcumin induces chemo/radio-sensitization in ovarian cancer cells and curcumin nanoparticles inhibit ovarian cancer cell growth. J Ovarian Res, 3, 11, 2010.
- Thomas, V, Yallapu, MM, Sreedhar, B, Bajpai, SK. Fabrication, characterization of chitosan/nanosilver film and its potential antibacterial application. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed, 20 (14), 2129-44, 2009.
- Reddy, MK, Vasir, JK, Sahoo, SK, Jain, TK, Yallapu, MM, Labhasetwar, V. Inhibition of apoptosis through localized delivery of rapamycin-loaded nanoparticles prevented neointimal hyperplasia and reendothelialized injured artery. Circ Cardiovasc Interv, 1 (3), 209-16, 2008.
- Namdeo, M, Saxena, S, Tankhiwale, R, Bajpai, M, Mohan, YM, Bajpai, SK. Magnetic nanoparticles for drug delivery applications. J Nanosci Nanotechnol, 8 (7), 3247-71, 2008.
- Thomas, V, Yallapu, MM, Sreedhar, B, Bajpai, SK. A versatile strategy to fabricate hydrogel-silver nanocomposites and investigation of their antimicrobial activity. J Colloid Interface Sci, 315 (1), 389-95, 2007.
- Bajpai, SK, Mohan, YM, Bajpai, M, Tankhiwale, R, Thomas, V. Synthesis of polymer stabilized silver and gold nanostructures. J Nanosci Nanotechnol, 7 (9), 2994-3010, 2007.