CHISHOLM-BURNS, MARIE A.
Admin-College of Pharmacy
- M.B.A., University of Memphis, Business Administration
- M.P.H., Emory University, Public Health
- Pharm.D., University of Georgia, Pharmacy
- B.S., University of Georgia, Pharmacy
- B.S., Georgia College, Psychology
- B.S., Georgia College, General Studies (Emphasis in Biology)
Dr. Chisholm-Burns is nationally and internationally known for her work in improving health care and outcomes through increasing solid-organ transplant recipients’ adherence to medication protocols, health literacy, and access to medical care. A prolific scholar, she has published more than 100 peer-reviewed primary reports among over 270 total publications (see selected publications below), many in journals such as Archives of Internal Medicine, Annals of Internal Medicine, Transplantation, Clinical Transplantation, and the American Journal of Transplantation. As a result of her research efforts, she has attracted greater than $9 million in grant funding from state sources, industry, the private sector, and the National Institutes of Health.
In 2008 and 2011, textbooks co-edited by Dr. Chisholm-Burns, Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice and Pharmacy Management, Leadership, Marketing, and Finance, respectively, received the Medical Book Award from the American Medical Writers Association. She has received numerous awards and honors including the Robert K. Chalmers Distinguished Pharmacy Educator Award from the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), the Clinical Pharmacy Education Award from the American College of Clinical Pharmacy, the Daniel B. Smith Practice Excellence Award from the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), the Rufus A. Lyman Award for most outstanding publication in the American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education (both in 1996 and 2007), the Nicholas Andrew Cummings Award from the National Academies of Practice, the Award of Excellence from the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), the Pharmacy Practice Research Award and Award for Sustained Contributions to the Literature from the ASHP Foundation, and the Research Achievement Award from APhA.
Dr. Chisholm-Burns is a Six Sigma Black Belt and a graduate of the AACP Academic Leadership Fellows program. She has also participated in leadership training workshops including "Leading Change and Organizational Renewal" and "Thriving Under Pressure," both organized by Harvard University, and "CASE Development for Deans and Academic Leaders," organized by the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.
Healthcare access; Transplantation; Medication Adherence; Pharmacy Education
- Spivey, CA, Chisholm-Burns, MA, Garrett, C, Duke, KM. Serving underserved transplant recipients: experience of the Medication Access Program. Patient Prefer Adherence, 8, 613-9, 2014.
- Tsapepas, D, Langone, A, Chan, L, Wiland, A, McCague, K, Chisholm-Burns, M. A longitudinal assessment of adherence with immunosuppressive therapy following kidney transplantation from the Mycophenolic Acid Observational REnal Transplant (MORE) study. Ann Transplant, 19, 174-81, 2014.
- Chisholm-Burns MA. How to Prepare for the PCAT, 6th ed. Hauppauge. New York. Barron’s Educational Series, Inc., 2014.
- Katz MD, Matthias KR, Chisholm-Burns MA. Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice Study Guide. A Care Plan Approach. 3rd ed. New York. McGraw-Hill, 2014.
- Spivey, CA, Chisholm-Burns, MA, Damadzadeh, B, Billheimer, D. Determining the effect of immunosuppressant adherence on graft failure risk among renal transplant recipients. Clin Transplant, 28 (1), 96-104, 2014.
- Chisholm-Burns MA, Vaillancourt A, Shepherd M. Pharmacy Management, Leadership, Marketing, and Finance. 2nd ed. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning, 2014.
- Gorevski, E, Succop, P, Sachdeva, J, Cavanaugh, TM, Volek, P, Heaton, P, Chisholm-Burns, M, Martin-Boone, JE. Is there an association between immunosuppressant therapy medication adherence and depression, quality of life, and personality traits in the kidney and liver transplant population. Patient Prefer Adherence, 7, 301-7, 2013.
- DiPiro, JT, Chisholm-Burns, MA. Fail fast. Am J Pharm Educ, 77 (8), 159, 2013.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA, Spivey, CA, Graff Zivin, J, Lee, JK, Sredzinski, E, Tolley, EA. Improving outcomes of renal transplant recipients with behavioral adherence contracts: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Transplant, 13 (9), 2364-73, 2013.
- Lee, JK, Slack, MK, Martin, J, Ehrman, C, Chisholm-Burns, M. Geriatric patient care by U.S. pharmacists in healthcare teams: systematic review and meta-analyses. J Am Geriatr Soc, 61 (7), 1119-27, 2013.
- Gourley, DR, Vaidya, VA, Hufstader, MA, Ray, MD, Chisholm-Burns, MA. An international capstone experience for pharmacy students. Am J Pharm Educ, 77 (3), 50, 2013.
- Weng, FL, Chandwani, S, Kurtyka, KM, Zacker, C, Chisholm-Burns, MA, Demissie, K. Prevalence and correlates of medication non-adherence among kidney transplant recipients more than 6 months post-transplant: a cross-sectional study. BMC Nephrol, 14, 261, 2013.
- Chisholm-Burns MA, Schwinghammer TL, Wells BG, Malone PM, Kolesar JM, and DiPiro JT. Pharmacotherapy Principles and Practice, 3rd ed. New York. McGraw-Hill, 2013.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA, Spivey, CA, Sredzinski, E, Butler, SL. Intervention toolbox to promote immunosuppressant therapy adherence in adult renal transplant recipients. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003), 52 (6), 816-22, 2012.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA, Spivey, CA. The 'cost' of medication nonadherence: consequences we cannot afford to accept. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003), 52 (6), 823-6, 2012.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA, Spivey, C, Martin, JR, Wyles, C, Ehrman, C, Schlesselman, LS. A 5-year analysis of peer-reviewed journal article publications of pharmacy practice faculty members. Am J Pharm Educ, 76 (7), 127, 2012.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA, Spivey, CA, Billheimer, D, Schlesselman, LS, Flowers, SK, Hammer, D, Engle, JP, Nappi, JM, Pasko, MT, Ross, LA, Sorofman, B, Rodrigues, HA, Vaillancourt, AM. Multi-institutional study of women and underrepresented minority faculty members in academic pharmacy. Am J Pharm Educ, 76 (1), 7, 2012.
- Chisholm-Burns, M, Pinsky, B, Parker, G, Johnson, P, Arcona, S, Buzinec, P, Chakravarti, P, Good, M, Cooper, M. Factors related to immunosuppressant medication adherence in renal transplant recipients. Clin Transplant, 26 (5), 706-13, 2012.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA, Erickson, SR, Spivey, CA, Kaplan, B. Health-related quality of life and employment among renal transplant recipients. Clin Transplant, 26 (3), 411-7, 2011.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA, Erickson, SR, Spivey, CA, Gruessner, RW, Kaplan, B. Concurrent validity of kidney transplant questionnaire in US renal transplant recipients. Patient Prefer Adherence, 5, 517-22, 2011.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA, Graff Zivin, JS, Lee, JK, Spivey, CA, Slack, M, Herrier, RN, Hall-Lipsy, E, Abraham, I, Palmer, J. Economic effects of pharmacists on health outcomes in the United States: A systematic review. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 67 (19), 1624-34, 2010.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA, Kim Lee, J, Spivey, CA, Slack, M, Herrier, RN, Hall-Lipsy, E, Graff Zivin, J, Abraham, I, Palmer, J, Martin, JR, Kramer, SS, Wunz, T. US pharmacists' effect as team members on patient care: systematic review and meta-analyses. Med Care, 48 (10), 923-33, 2010.
- Bosso, JA, Chisholm-Burns, M, Nappi, J, Gubbins, PO, Ross, LA. Benchmarking in academic pharmacy departments. Am J Pharm Educ, 74 (8), 140, 2010.
- Chisholm-Burns, MA. A crisis is a really terrible thing to waste. Am J Pharm Educ, 74 (2), 19, 2010.
- Chisholm, MA, Kwong, WJ, Spivey, CA. Associations of characteristics of renal transplant recipients with clinicians' perceptions of adherence to immunosuppressant therapy. Transplantation, 84 (9), 1145-50, 2007.
- Chisholm, MA, Fair, J, Spivey, CA. Health literacy and transplant patients and practitioners. Public Health, 121 (10), 800-3, 2007.
- Chisholm, MA, Williamson, GM, Lance, CE, Mulloy, LL. Predicting adherence to immunosuppressant therapy: a prospective analysis of the theory of planned behaviour. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 22 (8), 2339-48, 2007.
- Chisholm, MA, Spivey, CA, Mulloy, LL. Effects of a medication assistance program with medication therapy management on the health of renal transplant recipients. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 64 (14), 1506-12, 2007.
- Chisholm, MA, Spivey, CA, Nus, AV. Influence of economic and demographic factors on quality of life in renal transplant recipients. Clin Transplant, 21 (2), 285-93, 2007.
- Chisholm, MA, Melroy, J, Johnson, M, Mulloy, LL, Spivey, CA. Is age associated with the number or types of medications prescribed to renal transplant recipients. J Am Geriatr Soc, 55 (3), 389-94, 2007.
- Chisholm, MA, Cobb, H, Duke, L, McDuffie, C, Kennedy, WK. Development of an instrument to measure professionalism. Am J Pharm Educ, 70 (4), 85, 2006.
- Chisholm, MA, Roberts, E. Medicare Part D coverage and its influence on transplant patients' out-of-pocket prescription expenses. Am J Transplant, 6 (7), 1737-42, 2006.
- Chisholm, MA. A renal transplantation advanced pharmacy practice experience. Am J Pharm Educ, 70 (1), 3, 2006.
- Chisholm, MA, Middleton, MD. Modified-release tacrolimus. Ann Pharmacother, 40 (2), 270-5, 2006.
- Chisholm, MA, Lance, CE, Williamson, GM, Mulloy, LL. Development and validation of the immunosuppressant therapy adherence instrument (ITAS). Patient Educ Couns, 59 (1), 13-20, 2005.
- Chisholm, MA, Lance, CE, Mulloy, LL. Patient factors associated with adherence to immunosuppressant therapy in renal transplant recipients. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 62 (17), 1775-81, 2005.
- Chisholm, MA. Increasing medication access for the uninsured and underinsured. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 62 (16), 1653, 2005.
- Chisholm, MA, Turner, JC, Dipiro, JT. Medicare-approved drug discount cards and prescription drug prices. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 62 (14), 1482-7, 2005.
- Chisholm, MA, Marshall, J, Smith, KE, Garrett, CJ, Turner, JC. Medicare-approved drug discount cards and renal transplant patients: how much can these cards reduce prescription costs. Clin Transplant, 19 (3), 357-63, 2005.
- Chisholm, MA, Mulloy, LL, DiPiro, JT. Comparing renal transplant patients' adherence to free cyclosporine and free tacrolimus immunosuppressant therapy. Clin Transplant, 19 (1), 77-82, 2005.
- Chisholm, MA, Lance, CE, Williamson, GM, Mulloy, LL. Development and validation of an immunosuppressant therapy adherence barrier instrument. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 20 (1), 181-8, 2005.
- Chisholm, MA. Identification of medication-adherence barriers and strategies to increase adherence in recipients of renal transplants. Manag Care Interface, 17 (9), 44-8, 2004.
- Chisholm, M. Increasing medication access to transplant recipients. Clin Transplant, 18 (1), 39-48, 2004.
- Chisholm, MA, Mulloy, LL, Jagadeesan, M, DiPiro, JT. Coadministration of tacrolimus with anti-acid drugs. Transplantation, 76 (4), 665-6, 2003.