Genetics, Genomics & Informatics
DOCTORS OFFICE BUILDING
66 NORTH PAULINE STREET
MEMPHIS TN 381630000
- Ph.D., UTHSC, Neuroscience (Neurogenetics)
- M.S., Jawaharlal Nehru University, Life Sciences
- B.S., Delhi University, Biochemistry
My overarching research interest is to understand how multiple genetic, epigenetic, and environmental factors interact to define complex traits. Much of my research has been on the genetics of neuropsychiatric conditions related to stress response, depression and addiction. Another area of research is on the genetics and epigenetics of development and aging using both animal models and human cohorts. I consider the joint use of human populations and model organisms, particularly isogenic inbred mouse strains, as a key aspect of my work. I am enthusiastic about applying cross-species comparative genetics to bridge the gap between the basic sciences and human epidemiological and clinical studies.
The work I do is inherently multidisciplinary and incorporates the fields of neuroscience, genomics, bioinformatics and human epidemiology. Methods and approaches include classical genetics, systems genetics, and network analyses that utilize high-dimensional genomic, epigenomic, and transcriptomic data. I rely heavily on resources in bioinformatics and computational tools developed for large “–omics” type data.
Systems genetics, epigenetics, aging, quantitative genetics, limbic system, microarrays, high-throughput sequencing, network analysis
Systems genetics and epigenetics of complex traits
- Mulligan, MK, Mozhui, K, Pandey, AK, Smith, ML, Gong, S, Ingels, J, Miles, MF, Lopez, MF, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic divergence in the transcriptional engram of chronic alcohol abuse: A laser-capture RNA-seq study of the mouse mesocorticolimbic system. Alcohol, 58, 61-72, 2017.
- Mulligan, MK, Mozhui, K, Prins, P, Williams, RW. GeneNetwork: A Toolbox for Systems Genetics. Methods Mol Biol, 1488, 75-120, 2016.
- Neuner, SM, Wilmott, LA, Hoffmann, BR, Mozhui, K, Kaczorowski, CC. Hippocampal proteomics defines pathways associated with memory decline and resilience in 'normal' aging and Alzheimer's disease mouse models. Behav Brain Res, 2016.
- Mozhui, K, Smith, AK, Tylavsky, FA. Ancestry dependent DNA methylation and influence of maternal nutrition. PLoS One, 10 (3), e0118466, 2015.
- Wang, X, Pandey, AK, Mulligan, MK, Williams, EG, Mozhui, K, Li, Z, Jovaisaite, V, Quarles, LD, Xiao, Z, Huang, J, Capra, JA, Chen, Z, Taylor, WL, Bastarache, L, Niu, X, Pollard, KS, Ciobanu, DC, Reznik, AO, Tishkov, AV, Zhulin, IB, Peng, J, Nelson, SF, Denny, JC, Auwerx, J, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Joint mouse-human phenome-wide association to test gene function and disease risk. Nat Commun, 7, 10464, 2015.
- Graybeal, C, Bachu, M, Mozhui, K, Saksida, LM, Bussey, TJ, Sagalyn, E, Williams, RW, Holmes, A. Strains and stressors: an analysis of touchscreen learning in genetically diverse mouse strains. PLoS One, 9 (2), e87745, 2014.
- Krushkal, J, Murphy, LE, Palmer, FB, Graff, JC, Sutter, TR, Mozhui, K, Hovinga, CA, Thomas, F, Park, V, Tylavsky, FA, Adkins, RM. Epigenetic Analysis of Neurocognitive Development at 1 year of Age in a Community-Based Pregnancy Cohort. Behav Genet, 2014.
- Mozhui, K, Williams, RW. Multidimensional databases of model organisms. The OMICs: Applications in Neuroscience. G Coppola, ed., Oxford University Press, New York., 333–343, 2013.
- Wang, X, Mozhui, K, Li, Z, Mulligan, MK, Ingels, JF, Zhou, X, Hori, RT, Chen, H, Cook, MN, Williams, RW, Lu, L. A promoter polymorphism in the Per3 gene is associated with alcohol and stress response. Transl Psychiatry, 2, e73, 2012.
- Mozhui, K, Wang, X, Chen, J, Mulligan, MK, Li, Z, Ingles, J, Chen, X, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic regulation of Nrxn1 [corrected] expression: an integrative cross-species analysis of schizophrenia candidate genes. Transl Psychiatry, 1, e25, 2012.
- Mulligan, MK, Wang, X, Adler, AL, Mozhui, K, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Complex control of GABA(A) receptor subunit mRNA expression: variation, covariation, and genetic regulation. PLoS One, 7 (4), e34586, 2012.
- Mozhui, K, Lu, L, Armstrong, WE, Williams, RW. Sex-specific modulation of gene expression networks in murine hypothalamus. Front Neurosci, 6, 63, 2012.
- Mozhui, K, Karlsson, RM, Kash, TL, Ihne, J, Norcross, M, Patel, S, Farrell, MR, Hill, EE, Graybeal, C, Martin, KP, Camp, M, Fitzgerald, PJ, Ciobanu, DC, Sprengel, R, Mishina, M, Wellman, CL, Winder, DG, Williams, RW, Holmes, A. Strain differences in stress responsivity are associated with divergent amygdala gene expression and glutamate-mediated neuronal excitability. J Neurosci, 30 (15), 5357-67, 2010.
- Ciobanu, DC, Lu, L, Mozhui, K, Wang, X, Jagalur, M, Morris, JA, Taylor, WL, Dietz, K, Simon, P, Williams, RW. Detection, validation, and downstream analysis of allelic variation in gene expression. Genetics, 184 (1), 119-28, 2010.
- Rosen, GD, Pung, CJ, Owens, CB, Caplow, J, Kim, H, Mozhui, K, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic modulation of striatal volume by loci on Chrs 6 and 17 in BXD recombinant inbred mice. Genes Brain Behav, 8 (3), 296-308, 2009.
- Mozhui, K, Ciobanu, DC, Schikorski, T, Wang, X, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Dissection of a QTL hotspot on mouse distal chromosome 1 that modulates neurobehavioral phenotypes and gene expression. PLoS Genet, 4 (11), e1000260, 2008.
- Yang, RJ, Mozhui, K, Karlsson, RM, Cameron, HA, Williams, RW, Holmes, A. Variation in mouse basolateral amygdala volume is associated with differences in stress reactivity and fear learning. Neuropsychopharmacology, 33 (11), 2595-604, 2008.
- Mozhui, K, Hamre, KM, Holmes, A, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic and structural analysis of the basolateral amygdala complex in BXD recombinant inbred mice. Behav Genet, 37 (1), 223-43, 2007.
- Brasser, SM, Mozhui, K, Smith, DV. Differential covariation in taste responsiveness to bitter stimuli in rats. Chem Senses, 30 (9), 793-9, 2005.