Doctors Office Building
- Ph.D., UTHSC, Neuroscience (Neurogenetics)
- M.S., Jawaharlal Nehru University, Life Sciences
- B.S., Delhi University, Biochemistry
My overarching research interest is to understand how multiple genetic factors and molecular networks interact to define complex physiological and psychiatric traits. Much of my research has focused on neuropsychiatric conditions related to stress response, depression and drug and alcohol addiction. I am particularly interested in understanding the complex web of interactions between genetic, nutritional and environmental factors, and the role of epigenetic mediators. Methods I utilize include classical quantitative genetics as well as systems genetics and network approaches that rely on high-dimensional genomic, epigenomic, and transcriptomic data to model complex phenotypes and clinical traits. I rely heavily on bioinformatics resources and analytical tools developed for “–omics” type data. Another aspect of my research is the use of genetically defined mouse models to help interpret and test findings from human studies. I am particularly keen on using cross-species methods and comparative genetics to bridge the gap between the basic sciences and translational science in human population studies.
Systems genetics, epigenetics, quantitative genetics, neuropsychiatric genetics, stress response, HPA-axis, addiction, alcohol abuse, limbic system, microarrays, RNA sequencing, network analysis
Systems genetics and genomic studies of complex traits
- Graybeal, C, Bachu, M, Mozhui, K, Saksida, LM, Bussey, TJ, Sagalyn, E, Williams, RW, Holmes, A. Strains and stressors: an analysis of touchscreen learning in genetically diverse mouse strains. PLoS One, 9 (2), e87745, 2014.
- Krushkal, J, Murphy, LE, Palmer, FB, Graff, JC, Sutter, TR, Mozhui, K, Hovinga, CA, Thomas, F, Park, V, Tylavsky, FA, Adkins, RM. Epigenetic Analysis of Neurocognitive Development at 1 year of Age in a Community-Based Pregnancy Cohort. Behav Genet, 2014.
- Mozhui, K, Williams, RW. Multidimensional databases of model organisms. The OMICs: Applications in Neuroscience. G Coppola, ed., Oxford University Press, New York., 333–343, 2013.
- Wang, X, Mozhui, K, Li, Z, Mulligan, MK, Ingels, JF, Zhou, X, Hori, RT, Chen, H, Cook, MN, Williams, RW, Lu, L. A promoter polymorphism in the Per3 gene is associated with alcohol and stress response. Transl Psychiatry, 2, e73, 2012.
- Mozhui, K, Wang, X, Chen, J, Mulligan, MK, Li, Z, Ingles, J, Chen, X, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic regulation of Nrxn1 [corrected] expression: an integrative cross-species analysis of schizophrenia candidate genes. Transl Psychiatry, 1, e25, 2012.
- Mozhui, K, Lu, L, Armstrong, WE, Williams, RW. Sex-specific modulation of gene expression networks in murine hypothalamus. Front Neurosci, 6, 63, 2012.
- Mulligan, MK, Wang, X, Adler, AL, Mozhui, K, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Complex control of GABA(A) receptor subunit mRNA expression: variation, covariation, and genetic regulation. PLoS One, 7 (4), e34586, 2012.
- Mozhui, K, Karlsson, RM, Kash, TL, Ihne, J, Norcross, M, Patel, S, Farrell, MR, Hill, EE, Graybeal, C, Martin, KP, Camp, M, Fitzgerald, PJ, Ciobanu, DC, Sprengel, R, Mishina, M, Wellman, CL, Winder, DG, Williams, RW, Holmes, A. Strain differences in stress responsivity are associated with divergent amygdala gene expression and glutamate-mediated neuronal excitability. J Neurosci, 30 (15), 5357-67, 2010.
- Ciobanu, DC, Lu, L, Mozhui, K, Wang, X, Jagalur, M, Morris, JA, Taylor, WL, Dietz, K, Simon, P, Williams, RW. Detection, validation, and downstream analysis of allelic variation in gene expression. Genetics, 184 (1), 119-28, 2010.
- Rosen, GD, Pung, CJ, Owens, CB, Caplow, J, Kim, H, Mozhui, K, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic modulation of striatal volume by loci on Chrs 6 and 17 in BXD recombinant inbred mice. Genes Brain Behav, 8 (3), 296-308, 2009.
- Mozhui, K, Ciobanu, DC, Schikorski, T, Wang, X, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Dissection of a QTL hotspot on mouse distal chromosome 1 that modulates neurobehavioral phenotypes and gene expression. PLoS Genet, 4 (11), e1000260, 2008.
- Yang, RJ, Mozhui, K, Karlsson, RM, Cameron, HA, Williams, RW, Holmes, A. Variation in mouse basolateral amygdala volume is associated with differences in stress reactivity and fear learning. Neuropsychopharmacology, 33 (11), 2595-604, 2008.
- Mozhui, K, Hamre, KM, Holmes, A, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic and structural analysis of the basolateral amygdala complex in BXD recombinant inbred mice. Behav Genet, 37 (1), 223-43, 2007.
- Brasser, SM, Mozhui, K, Smith, DV. Differential covariation in taste responsiveness to bitter stimuli in rats. Chem Senses, 30 (9), 793-9, 2005.