Doctors Office Building
- Ph.D., UTHSC, Neuroscience (Neurogenetics)
- M.S., Jawaharlal Nehru University, Life Sciences
- B.S., Delhi University, Biochemistry
My research is geared towards understanding the complex web of interactions between genetic, molecular, and environmental factors that define most traits and diseases. My main focus is on neuropsychiatric conditions related to stress reponse, depression, drug abuse, and schizophrenia. I take an approach known as systems genetics, which utilizes high-dimensional genomic, epigenomic, and transcriptomic data to model complex phenotypes and clinical traits. I rely heavily on bioinformatics resources and analytical tools developed for “–omics” type data. Another aspect of my research is the use of genetically defined mouse models to help interpret and test findings from human studies. I am particularly keen on using cross-species methods and comparative genetics to bridge the gap between basic research and human population studies.
Systems genetics, quantitative genetics, microarrays, RNA sequencing, neuropsychiatric genetics, stress response, HPA-axis, addiction, alcohol abuse, amygdala
Systems genetics and genomic studies of complex traits
- Krushkal, J, Murphy, LE, Palmer, FB, Graff, JC, Sutter, TR, Mozhui, K, Hovinga, CA, Thomas, F, Park, V, Tylavsky, FA, Adkins, RM. Epigenetic Analysis of Neurocognitive Development at 1 year of Age in a Community-Based Pregnancy Cohort. Behav Genet, 2014.
- Wang, X, Mozhui, K, Li, Z, Mulligan, MK, Ingels, JF, Zhou, X, Hori, RT, Chen, H, Cook, MN, Williams, RW, Lu, L. A promoter polymorphism in the Per3 gene is associated with alcohol and stress response. Transl Psychiatry, 2, e73, 2012.
- Mozhui, K, Wang, X, Chen, J, Mulligan, MK, Li, Z, Ingles, J, Chen, X, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic regulation of Nrxn1 [corrected] expression: an integrative cross-species analysis of schizophrenia candidate genes. Transl Psychiatry, 1, e25, 2012.
- Mozhui, K, Lu, L, Armstrong, WE, Williams, RW. Sex-specific modulation of gene expression networks in murine hypothalamus. Front Neurosci, 6, 63, 2012.
- Mulligan, MK, Wang, X, Adler, AL, Mozhui, K, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Complex control of GABA(A) receptor subunit mRNA expression: variation, covariation, and genetic regulation. PLoS One, 7 (4), e34586, 2012.
- Mozhui, K, Karlsson, RM, Kash, TL, Ihne, J, Norcross, M, Patel, S, Farrell, MR, Hill, EE, Graybeal, C, Martin, KP, Camp, M, Fitzgerald, PJ, Ciobanu, DC, Sprengel, R, Mishina, M, Wellman, CL, Winder, DG, Williams, RW, Holmes, A. Strain differences in stress responsivity are associated with divergent amygdala gene expression and glutamate-mediated neuronal excitability. J Neurosci, 30 (15), 5357-67, 2010.
- Ciobanu, DC, Lu, L, Mozhui, K, Wang, X, Jagalur, M, Morris, JA, Taylor, WL, Dietz, K, Simon, P, Williams, RW. Detection, validation, and downstream analysis of allelic variation in gene expression. Genetics, 184 (1), 119-28, 2010.
- Rosen, GD, Pung, CJ, Owens, CB, Caplow, J, Kim, H, Mozhui, K, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic modulation of striatal volume by loci on Chrs 6 and 17 in BXD recombinant inbred mice. Genes Brain Behav, 8 (3), 296-308, 2009.
- Mozhui, K, Ciobanu, DC, Schikorski, T, Wang, X, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Dissection of a QTL hotspot on mouse distal chromosome 1 that modulates neurobehavioral phenotypes and gene expression. PLoS Genet, 4 (11), e1000260, 2008.
- Yang, RJ, Mozhui, K, Karlsson, RM, Cameron, HA, Williams, RW, Holmes, A. Variation in mouse basolateral amygdala volume is associated with differences in stress reactivity and fear learning. Neuropsychopharmacology, 33 (11), 2595-604, 2008.
- Mozhui, K, Hamre, KM, Holmes, A, Lu, L, Williams, RW. Genetic and structural analysis of the basolateral amygdala complex in BXD recombinant inbred mice. Behav Genet, 37 (1), 223-43, 2007.
- Brasser, SM, Mozhui, K, Smith, DV. Differential covariation in taste responsiveness to bitter stimuli in rats. Chem Senses, 30 (9), 793-9, 2005.