KAREN A. HASTY, Ph.D., M.S., B.S.
George Thomas Wilhelm Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Be116 Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Ph.D., University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, Anatomy
- M.S., University of Tennessee the Health Science Center, Memphis, Anatomy
- B.S., University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, Microbiology
- Xiong, Q, Jiao, Y, Hasty, KA, Canale, ST, Stuart, JM, Beamer, WG, Deng, HW, Baylink, D, Gu, W. Quantitative trait loci, genes, and polymorphisms that regulate bone mineral density in mouse. Genomics, 2009.
- Xiong, Q, Jiao, Y, Hasty, KA, Stuart, JM, Postlethwaite, A, Kang, AH, Gu, W. Genetic and molecular basis of quantitative trait loci of arthritis in rat: genes and polymorphisms. J Immunol, 181 (2), 859-64, 2008.
- Xiong, Q, Zhu, J, Hasty, KA, Canale, ST, Stuart, J, Gu, W. The complexity in hunting for candidate genes within QTL that determine susceptibility to arthritis in rats. Crit Rev Immunol, 28 (2), 127-57, 2008.
- Xing, Z, Schwab, LP, Alley, CF, Hasty, KA, Smith, RA. Titanium particles that have undergone phagocytosis by macrophages lose the ability to activate other macrophages. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater, 85 (1), 37-41, 2008.
- Huang, J, Ballou, LR, Hasty, KA. Cyclic equibiaxial tensile strain induces both anabolic and catabolic responses in articular chondrocytes. Gene, 404 (1-2), 101-9, 2007.
- Xing, Z, Hasty, KA, Smith, RA. Administration of pamidronate alters bone-titanium attachment in the presence of endotoxin-coated polyethylene particles. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater, 83 (2), 354-8, 2007.
- Herring, PA, Ingels, J, Palmieri, G, Hasty, KA. 1alpha,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 enhances proliferation of rat prostate cancer cells in the presence of living bone. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol, 103 (3-5), 737-41, 2007.
- Park, K, Min, BH, Han, DK, Hasty, K. Quantitative analysis of temporal and spatial variations of chondrocyte behavior in engineered cartilage during long-term culture. Ann Biomed Eng, 35 (3), 419-28, 2007.
- Park, K, Hoffmeister, B, Han, DK, Hasty, K. Therapeutic ultrasound effects on interleukin-1beta stimulated cartilage construct in vitro. Ultrasound Med Biol, 33 (2), 286-95, 2007.
- Schwab, LP, Xing, Z, Hasty, KA, Smith, RA. Titanium particles and surface-bound LPS activate different pathways in IC-21 macrophages. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater, 79 (1), 66-73, 2006.
- Park, K, Huang, J, Azar, F, Jin, RL, Min, BH, Han, DK, Hasty, K. Scaffold-free, engineered porcine cartilage construct for cartilage defect repair--in vitro and in vivo study. Artif Organs, 30 (8), 586-96, 2006.
- Kanangat, S, Postlethwaite, A, Hasty, K, Kang, A, Smeltzer, M, Appling, W, Schaberg, D. Induction of multiple matrix metalloproteinases in human dermal and synovial fibroblasts by Staphylococcus aureus: implications in the pathogenesis of septic arthritis and other soft tissue infections. Arthritis Res Ther, 8 (6), R176, 2006.
- Xing, Z, Pabst, MJ, Hasty, KA, Smith, RA. Accumulation of LPS by polyethylene particles decreases bone attachment to implants. J Orthop Res, 24 (5), 959-66, 2006.
- Kanangat, S, Postlethwaite, AE, Higgins, GC, Hasty, KA. Novel functions of intracellular IL-1ra in human dermal fibroblasts: implications in the pathogenesis of fibrosis. J Invest Dermatol, 126 (4), 756-65, 2006.
- Elder, SH, Sanders, SW, McCulley, WR, Marr, ML, Shim, JW, Hasty, KA. Chondrocyte response to cyclic hydrostatic pressure in alginate versus pellet culture. J Orthop Res, 24 (4), 740-7, 2006.
- Ahn, JI, Erdin, RA, Smith, R, Canale, ST, Hasty, KA. Chondrocyte injection in distraction epiphysiolysis (rabbit model). J Orthop Res, 24 (3), 355-65, 2006.
- Wenger, KH, Woods, JA, Holecek, A, Eckstein, EC, Robertson, JT, Hasty, KA. Matrix remodeling expression in anulus cells subjected to increased compressive load. Spine, 30 (10), 1122-6, 2005.
- Ahn, JI, Terry Canale, S, Butler, SD, Hasty, KA. Stem cell repair of physeal cartilage. J Orthop Res, 22 (6), 1215-21, 2004.
- Cunningham, AC, Hasty, KA, Enghild, JJ, Mast, AE. Structural and functional characterization of tissue factor pathway inhibitor following degradation by matrix metalloproteinase-8. Biochem J, 367 (Pt 2), 451-8, 2002.
- Levin, MC, Lee, SM, Kalume, F, Morcos, Y, Dohan, FC, Hasty, KA, Callaway, JC, Zunt, J, Desiderio, D, Stuart, JM. Autoimmunity due to molecular mimicry as a cause of neurological disease. Nat Med, 8 (5), 509-13, 2002.
- Wu, CW, Tchetina, EV, Mwale, F, Hasty, K, Pidoux, I, Reiner, A, Chen, J, Van Wart, HE, Poole, AR. Proteolysis involving matrix metalloproteinase 13 (collagenase-3) is required for chondrocyte differentiation that is associated with matrix mineralization. J Bone Miner Res, 17 (4), 639-51, 2002.
- Shlopov, BV, Stuart, JM, Gumanovskaya, ML, Hasty, KA. Regulation of cartilage collagenase by doxycycline. J Rheumatol, 28 (4), 835-42, 2001.
- Siller-LÃ³pez, F, GarcÃ­a-BaÃ±uelos, J, Hasty, KA, Segura, J, Ramos-MÃ¡rquez, M, Qoronfleh, MW, Aguilar-Cordova, E, ArmendÃ¡riz-Borunda, J. Truncated active matrix metalloproteinase-8 gene expression in HepG2 cells is active against native type I collagen. J Hepatol, 33 (5), 758-63, 2000.
- Mast, AE, Stadanlick, JE, Lockett, JM, Dietzen, DJ, Hasty, KA, Hall, CL. Tissue factor pathway inhibitor binds to platelet thrombospondin-1. J Biol Chem, 275 (41), 31715-21, 2000.
- Sun, HB, Smith, GN, Hasty, KA, Yokota, H. Atomic force microscopy-based detection of binding and cleavage site of matrix metalloproteinase on individual type II collagen helices. Anal Biochem, 283 (2), 153-8, 2000.
- Shlopov, BV, Gumanovskaya, ML, Hasty, KA. Autocrine regulation of collagenase 3 (matrix metalloproteinase 13) during osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum, 43 (1), 195-205, 2000.
- Smith, GN, Mickler, EA, Hasty, KA, Brandt, KD. Specificity of inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase activity by doxycycline: relationship to structure of the enzyme. Arthritis Rheum, 42 (6), 1140-6, 1999.
- Shlopov, BV, Smith, GN, Cole, AA, Hasty, KA. Differential patterns of response to doxycycline and transforming growth factor beta1 in the down-regulation of collagenases in osteoarthritic and normal human chondrocytes. Arthritis Rheum, 42 (4), 719-27, 1999.
- Horton, WE, Udo, I, Precht, P, Balakir, R, Hasty, K. Cytokine inducible matrix metalloproteinase expression in immortalized rat chondrocytes is independent of nitric oxide stimulation. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim, 34 (5), 378-84, 1998.
- Shlopov, BV, Hasty, KA. Collagenase expression by normal human eosinophils. J Leukoc Biol, 63 (4), 451-5, 1998.
- Lamoreaux, WJ, Fitzgerald, ME, Reiner, A, Hasty, KA, Charles, ST. Vascular endothelial growth factor increases release of gelatinase A and decreases release of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases by microvascular endothelial cells in vitro. Microvasc Res, 55 (1), 29-42, 1998.
- Shlopov, BV, Lie, WR, Mainardi, CL, Cole, AA, Chubinskaya, S, Hasty, KA. Osteoarthritic lesions: involvement of three different collagenases. Arthritis Rheum, 40 (11), 2065-74, 1997.
- Smith, GN, Brandt, KD, Mickler, EA, Hasty, KA. Inhibition of recombinant human neutrophil collagenase by doxycycline is pH dependent. J Rheumatol, 24 (9), 1769-73, 1997.
- Cole, AA, Chubinskaya, S, Schumacher, B, Huch, K, Szabo, G, Yao, J, Mikecz, K, Hasty, KA, Kuettner, KE. Chondrocyte matrix metalloproteinase-8. Human articular chondrocytes express neutrophil collagenase. J Biol Chem, 271 (18), 11023-6, 1996.
- Smith, GN, Brandt, KD, Hasty, KA. Activation of recombinant human neutrophil procollagenase in the presence of doxycycline results in fragmentation of the enzyme and loss of enzyme activity. Arthritis Rheum, 39 (2), 235-44, 1996.
- Chubinskaya, S, Huch, K, Mikecz, K, Cs-Szabo, G, Hasty, KA, Kuettner, KE, Cole, AA. Chondrocyte matrix metalloproteinase-8: up-regulation of neutrophil collagenase by interleukin-1 beta in human cartilage from knee and ankle joints. Lab Invest, 74 (1), 232-40, 1996.
- Pourmotabbed, T, Aelion, JA, Tyrrell, D, Hasty, KA, Bu, CH, Mainardi, CL. Role of the conserved histidine and aspartic acid residues in activity and stabilization of human gelatinase B: an example of matrix metalloproteinases. J Protein Chem, 14 (7), 527-35, 1995.
- Smith, GN, Brandt, KD, Hasty, KA. Procollagenase is reduced to inactive fragments upon activation in the presence of doxycycline. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 732, 436-8, 1994.
- Pourmotabbed, T, Solomon, TL, Hasty, KA, Mainardi, CL. Characteristics of 92 kDa type IV collagenase/gelatinase produced by granulocytic leukemia cells: structure, expression of cDNA in E. coli and enzymic properties. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1204 (1), 97-107, 1994.
- Hasty, KA, Wu, H, Byrne, M, Goldring, MB, Seyer, JM, Jaenisch, R, Krane, SM, Mainardi, CL. Susceptibility of type I collagen containing mutated alpha 1(1) chains to cleavage by human neutrophil collagenase. Matrix, 13 (3), 181-6, 1993.
- Hirose, T, Patterson, C, Pourmotabbed, T, Mainardi, CL, Hasty, KA. Structure-function relationship of human neutrophil collagenase: identification of regions responsible for substrate specificity and general proteinase activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 90 (7), 2569-73, 1993.
- Fillmore, HL, Mainardi, CL, Hasty, KA. Differentiation of PC12 cells with nerve growth factor is associated with induction of transin synthesis and release. J Neurosci Res, 31 (4), 662-9, 1992.
- Terato, K, Hasty, KA, Reife, RA, Cremer, MA, Kang, AH, Stuart, JM. Induction of arthritis with monoclonal antibodies to collagen. J Immunol, 148 (7), 2103-8, 1992.
- Hirose, T, Reife, RA, Smith, GN, Stevens, RM, Mainardi, CL, Hasty, KA. Characterization of type V collagenase (gelatinase) in synovial fluid of patients with inflammatory arthritis. J Rheumatol, 19 (4), 593-9, 1992.
- Desrochers, PE, Mookhtiar, K, Van Wart, HE, Hasty, KA, Weiss, SJ. Proteolytic inactivation of alpha 1-proteinase inhibitor and alpha 1-antichymotrypsin by oxidatively activated human neutrophil metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem, 267 (7), 5005-12, 1992.
- Fillmore, HL, Mainardi, CL, Hasty, KA. Induction of stromelysin synthesis is associated with PC12 cell differentiation stimulated by nerve growth factor. Matrix Suppl, 1, 408, 1992.
- Reife, RA, Hasty, KA, Mainardi, CL, Stuart, JM. Immunolocalization of metalloproteinases in collagen autoimmune arthritis. Matrix Suppl, 1, 397, 1992.
- Yu, LP, Smith, GN, Hasty, KA, Brandt, KD. Doxycycline inhibits type XI collagenolytic activity of extracts from human osteoarthritic cartilage and of gelatinase. J Rheumatol, 18 (10), 1450-2, 1991.
- Mainardi, CL, Pourmotabbed, TF, Hasty, KA. Inflammatory phagocytes and connective tissue degrading metalloproteinases. Am J Med Sci, 302 (3), 171-5, 1991.
- Reife, RA, Loutis, N, Watson, WC, Hasty, KA, Stuart, JM. SWR mice are resistant to collagen-induced arthritis but produce potentially arthritogenic antibodies. Arthritis Rheum, 34 (6), 776-81, 1991.
- Smith, GN, Hasty, KA, Yu, LP, Lamberson, KS, Mickler, EA, Brandt, KD. Cleavage of type XI collagen fibers by gelatinase and by extracts of osteoarthritic canine cartilage. Matrix, 11 (1), 36-42, 1991.
- Hasty, KA, Pourmotabbed, TF, Goldberg, GI, Thompson, JP, Spinella, DG, Stevens, RM, Mainardi, CL. Human neutrophil collagenase. A distinct gene product with homology to other matrix metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem, 265 (20), 11421-4, 1990.
- Mainardi, CL, Hasty, KA. Secretion and glycosylation of rabbit macrophage type V collagenase. Matrix, 10 (2), 84-90, 1990.
- Hasty, KA, Reife, RA, Kang, AH, Stuart, JM. The role of stromelysin in the cartilage destruction that accompanies inflammatory arthritis. Arthritis Rheum, 33 (3), 388-97, 1990.
- Smith, GN, Hasty, KA, Brandt, KD. Type XI collagen is associated with the chondrocyte surface in suspension culture. Matrix, 9 (3), 186-92, 1989.
- Seyer, JM, Hasty, KA, Kang, AH. Covalent structure of collagen. Amino acid sequence of an arthritogenic cyanogen bromide peptide from type II collagen of bovine cartilage. Eur J Biochem, 181 (1), 159-73, 1989.
- Postlethwaite, AE, Smith, GN, Lachman, LB, Endres, RO, Poppleton, HM, Hasty, KA, Seyer, JM, Kang, AH. Stimulation of glycosaminoglycan synthesis in cultured human dermal fibroblasts by interleukin 1. Induction of hyaluronic acid synthesis by natural and recombinant interleukin 1s and synthetic interleukin 1 beta peptide 163-171. J Clin Invest, 83 (2), 629-36, 1989.
- Chiang, TM, Jin, A, Hasty, KA, Kang, AH. Collagen-platelet interaction: inhibition by a monoclonal antibody which binds a 90,000 dalton platelet glycoprotein. Thromb Res, 53 (2), 129-43, 1989.
- Fitch, JM, Birk, DE, Mentzer, A, Hasty, KA, Mainardi, C, Linsenmayer, TF. Corneal collagen fibrils: dissection with specific collagenases and monoclonal antibodies. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 29 (7), 1125-36, 1988.
- Hasty, KA, Jeffrey, JJ, Hibbs, MS, Welgus, HG. The collagen substrate specificity of human neutrophil collagenase. J Biol Chem, 262 (21), 10048-52, 1987.
- Hasty, KA, Stricklin, GP, Hibbs, MS, Mainardi, CL, Kang, AH. The immunologic relationship of human neutrophil and skin collagenases. Arthritis Rheum, 30 (6), 695-9, 1987.
- Mainardi, CL, Hasty, KA, Hibbs, MS. Collagen degradation by inflammatory phagocytes. J Rheumatol, 14 Spec No, 59-60, 1987.
- Hasty, KA, Hibbs, MS, Kang, AH, Mainardi, CL. Secreted forms of human neutrophil collagenase. J Biol Chem, 261 (12), 5645-50, 1986.
- Terato, K, Cremer, MA, Hasty, KA, Kang, AH, Hasty, DL, Townes, AS. Physicochemical and immunological studies of the renatured alpha 1(II) chains and isolated cyanogen bromide peptides of type II collagen. Coll Relat Res, 5 (6), 469-80, 1985.
- Terato, K, Hasty, KA, Cremer, MA, Stuart, JM, Townes, AS, Kang, AH. Collagen-induced arthritis in mice. Localization of an arthritogenic determinant to a fragment of the type II collagen molecule. J Exp Med, 162 (2), 637-46, 1985.
- Hibbs, MS, Hasty, KA, Seyer, JM, Kang, AH, Mainardi, CL. Biochemical and immunological characterization of the secreted forms of human neutrophil gelatinase. J Biol Chem, 260 (4), 2493-500, 1985.
- Mainardi, CL, Hibbs, MS, Hasty, KA, Seyer, JM. Purification of a type V collagen degrading metalloproteinase from rabbit alveolar macrophages. Coll Relat Res, 4 (6), 479-92, 1984.
- Hibbs, MS, Hasty, KA, Kang, AH, Mainardi, CL. Secretion of collagenolytic enzymes by human polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Coll Relat Res, 4 (6), 467-77, 1984.
- Hasty, KA, Hibbs, MS, Kang, AH, Mainardi, CL. Heterogeneity among human collagenases demonstrated by monoclonal antibody that selectively recognizes and inhibits human neutrophil collagenase. J Exp Med, 159 (5), 1455-63, 1984.
- Mainardi, CL, Hasty, KA, Hibbs, MS. Antibody to rabbit macrophage type V collagenase/gelatinase and its use to further characterize the enzyme. Coll Relat Res, 4 (3), 209-17, 1984.
- Hasty, KA, Smith, GN, Kang, AH. Histochemical identification of sulfation position in chondroitin sulfate in various cartilages. J Histochem Cytochem, 31 (12), 1367-74, 1983.
- Hasty, KA, Smith, GN, Kang, AH. Studies on glycosaminoglycans of regenerating rabbit ear cartilage. Dev Biol, 86 (1), 198-205, 1981.
- Gabbay, KH, Hasty, K, Breslow, JL, Ellison, RC, Bunn, HF, Gallop, PM. Glycosylated hemoglobins and long-term blood glucose control in diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 44 (5), 859-64, 1977.