Keiko Asao, MD, MPH, PhD
622 Doctors Office Building
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, Epidemiology
- M.D., Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan, Medicine
Download My Curriculum Vitae
Dr. Keiko Asao is trained in internal medicine, endocrinology, and epidemiology, and has been involved in epidemiological research projects in diabetes mellitus. Her current primary area of research is gustatory perception with a specific focus on sweet taste preferences in order to establish novel intervention strategies to prevent and treat obesity and diabetes mellitus. Her second area of interest is in health services research in diabetes. She is attempting to describe and explain the gap between the standard of care and the actual clinical practice, and to establish measures to close the gap.
Clinical Care Specialty/Interest
Board-certification: Internal Medicine; Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
diabetes mellitus; obesity; taste; gustatory; nutrition; epidemiology; clinical studies; health services research
- Asao, K, Luo, W, Herman, WH. Reproducibility of the measurement of sweet taste preferences. Appetite, 59, 927-32, 2012.
- Asao, K, Mansi, AI. Continuity of care and diabetes mellitus management in an internal medicine residency program. J La State Med Soc, 163, 95-100, 2011.
- Bilik, D, McEwen, LN, Brown, MB, Pomeroy, NE, Kim, C, Asao, K, Crosson, JC, Duru, OK, Ferrara, A, Hsiao, VC, Karter, AJ, Lee, PG, Marrero, DG, Selby, JV, Subramanian, U, Herman, WH. Thiazolidinediones and fractures: evidence from translating research into action for diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 95, 4560-5, 2010.
- Asao, K, Mansi, IA, Banks, D. Improving quality in an internal medicine residency program through a peer medical record audit. Acad Med, 84, 1796-802, 2009.
- Sano, H, Nishimura, R, Asao, K, Matsudaira, T, Morimoto, A, Agata, T, Shimizu, H, Tajima, N. Blindness and laser photocoagulation in patients with childhood-onset type 1 diabetes in Japan. Br J Ophthalmol, 93, 726-30, 2009.
- Nicholson, WK, Asao, K, Brancati, F, Coresh, J, Pankow, JS, Powe, NR. Parity and risk of type 2 diabetes: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Diabetes Care, 29, 2349-54, 2006.
- Asao, K, Kao, WH, Baptiste-Roberts, K, Bandeen-Roche, K, Erlinger, TP, Brancati, FL. Short stature and the risk of adiposity, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes in middle age: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III), 1988-1994. Diabetes Care, 29, 1632-7, 2006.
- Uchigata, Y, Asao, K, Matsushima, M, Sato, A, Yokoyama, H, Otani, T, Kasahara, T, Takaike, H, Okudaira, M, Miura, J, Takada, H, Muto, K, Osawa, M, Matsuura, N, Maruyama, H, Iwamoto, Y. Impact on mortality and incidence of end-stage renal disease of education and treatment at a diabetes center among patients with type 1 diabetes: comparison of two subgroups in the Japanese DERI Cohort. J Diabetes Complications, 18, 155-9, 2004.
- Asao, K, Sarti, C, Forsen, T, Hyttinen, V, Nishimura, R, Matsushima, M, Reunanen, A, Tuomilehto, J, Tajima, N. Long-term mortality in nationwide cohorts of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes in Japan and Finland. Diabetes Care, 26, 2037-42, 2003.
- Hayashi, N, Miyamoto, Y, Nakata, N, Irie, T, Ikegami, M, Asao, K, Tada, S. Breast masses: color Doppler, power Doppler, and spectral analysis findings. J Clin Ultrasound, 26, 231-8, 1998.