Steinle, Jena J. PhD
Anatomy and Neurobiology
768a 930 Madison Building
- PostDoc, Texas A&M University Health Science Center, Cardiovascular Cell Biology
- Ph.D., University of Kansas Medical Center, Physiology/Neuroscience
- B.S., University of Bridgeport, Biology
Research in our lab investigates changes in the choroid and retina in age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. We are currently working on the effects of loss in sympathetic innervation (the fight or flight system) on the retinal pathology associated with diabetic retinopathy and choroidal pathology with macular degeneration. We use modern cellular and molecular biology techniques on cell culture and animal samples to evaulate the mechanisms for the disease processes. We are al
Diabetic retinopathy; sympathetic nerves; beta-adrenergic receptors; retina; pharmacology; drug discovery; translational research; pre-clinical trials; aging; apoptosis; endothelial cells; Muller cells; insulin signaling; IGF-1; IGFBPs; protein analyses; inflammation; growth factors; angiogenesis; ERG;
Area of teaching/subject
Cardiovascular biology; vision; respiratory; autonomic pharmacology
- Steinle, JJ, Sharma, S, Smith, CP, McFayden-Ketchum, LS. Normal Aging Involves Modulation of Specific Inflammatory Markers in the Rat Retina and Choroid. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 2009.
- Steinle, JJ, Kern, TS, Thomas, SA, McFadyen-Ketchum, LS, Smith, CP. Increased basement membrane thickness, pericyte ghosts, and loss of retinal thickness and cells in dopamine beta hydroxylase knockout mice. Exp Eye Res, 2009.
- Steinle, JJ, Cappocia, FC, Jiang, Y. Beta-adrenergic receptor regulation of growth factor protein levels in human choroidal endothelial cells. Growth Factors, 26 (6), 325-30, 2008.
- Steinle, JJ, Chin, VC, Williams, KP, Panjala, SR. Beta-adrenergic receptor stimulation modulates iNOS protein levels through p38 and ERK1/2 signaling in human retinal endothelial cells. Exp Eye Res, 87 (1), 30-4, 2008.
- Steinle, JJ, Sharma, S, Chin, VC. Normal aging involves altered expression of growth factors in the rat choroid. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 63 (2), 135-40, 2008.
- Smith, CP, Steinle, JJ. Changes in growth factor expression in normal aging of the rat retina. Exp Eye Res, 85 (6), 817-24, 2007.
- Walker, RJ, Steinle, JJ. Role of beta-adrenergic receptors in inflammatory marker expression in Müller cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 48 (11), 5276-81, 2007.
- Steinle, JJ. Sympathetic neurotransmission modulates expression of inflammatory markers in the rat retina. Exp Eye Res, 84 (1), 118-25, 2007.
- Smith, CP, Sharma, S, Steinle, JJ. Age-related changes in sympathetic neurotransmission in rat retina and choroid. Exp Eye Res, 84 (1), 75-81, 2007.
- Steinle, JJ, Lashbrook, BL. Cervical sympathectomy regulates expression of key angiogenic factors in the rat choroid. Exp Eye Res, 83 (1), 16-23, 2006.
- Wiley, LA, Berkowitz, BA, Steinle, JJ. Superior cervical ganglionectomy induces changes in growth factor expression in the rat retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 47 (1), 439-43, 2006.
- Banz, WJ, Davis, J, Steinle, JJ, Adler, S, Oitker, J, Winters, TA, Higginbotham, DA, Hou, Y, Henry, N, Peterson, R, Meyers, CY. (+)-Z-Bisdehydrodoisynolic acid ameliorates obesity and the metabolic syndrome in female ZDF rats. Obes Res, 13 (11), 1915-24, 2005.
- Lashbrook, BL, Steinle, JJ. Beta-adrenergic receptor regulation of pigment epithelial-derived factor expression in rat retina. Auton Neurosci, 121 (1-2), 33-9, 2005.
- Steinle, JJ, Lindsay, NL, Lashbrook, BL. Cervical sympathectomy causes photoreceptor-specific cell death in the rat retina. Auton Neurosci, 120 (1-2), 46-51, 2005.
- Davis, J, Iqbal, MJ, Steinle, J, Oitker, J, Higginbotham, DA, Peterson, RG, Banz, WJ. Soy protein influences the development of the metabolic syndrome in male obese ZDFxSHHF rats. Horm Metab Res, 37 (5), 316-25, 2005.
- Davis, J, Steinle, J, Higginbotham, DA, Oitker, J, Peterson, RG, Banz, WJ. Soy protein influences insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular risk in male lean SHHF rats. Horm Metab Res, 37 (5), 309-15, 2005.
- Wiley, LA, Rupp, GR, Steinle, JJ. Sympathetic innervation regulates basement membrane thickening and pericyte number in rat retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 46 (2), 744-8, 2005.
- Steinle, JJ, Zamora, DO, Rosenbaum, JT, Granger, HJ. Beta 3-adrenergic receptors mediate choroidal endothelial cell invasion, proliferation, and cell elongation. Exp Eye Res, 80 (1), 83-91, 2005.
- Steinle, JJ, Meininger, CJ, Chowdhury, U, Wu, G, Granger, HJ. Role of ephrin B2 in human retinal endothelial cell proliferation and migration. Cell Signal, 15 (11), 1011-7, 2003.
- Steinle, JJ, Smith, PG. Sensory but not parasympathetic nerves are required for ocular vascular remodeling following chronic sympathectomy in rat. Auton Neurosci, 109 (1-2), 34-41, 2003.
- Steinle, JJ, Granger, HJ. Nerve growth factor regulates human choroidal, but not retinal, endothelial cell migration and proliferation. Auton Neurosci, 108 (1-2), 57-62, 2003.
- Steinle, JJ, Booz, GW, Meininger, CJ, Day, JN, Granger, HJ. Beta 3-adrenergic receptors regulate retinal endothelial cell migration and proliferation. J Biol Chem, 278 (23), 20681-6, 2003.
- Steinle, JJ, Meininger, CJ, Forough, R, Wu, G, Wu, MH, Granger, HJ. Eph B4 receptor signaling mediates endothelial cell migration and proliferation via the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathway. J Biol Chem, 277 (46), 43830-5, 2002.
- Steinle, JJ, Smith, PG. Role of adrenergic receptors in vascular remodelling of the rat choroid. Br J Pharmacol, 136 (5), 730-4, 2002.
- Steinle, JJ, Pierce, JD, Clancy, RL, G Smith, P. Increased ocular blood vessel numbers and sizes following chronic sympathectomy in rat. Exp Eye Res, 74 (6), 761-8, 2002.
- Smith, PG, Warn, JD, Steinle, JJ, Krizsan-Agbas, D, Hasan, W. Modulation of parasympathetic neuron phenotype and function by sympathetic innervation. Auton Neurosci, 96 (1), 33-42, 2002.
- Steinle, JJ, Smith, PG. Presynaptic muscarinic facilitation of parasympathetic neurotransmission after sympathectomy in the rat choroid. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 294 (2), 627-32, 2000.
- Steinle, JJ, Krizsan-Agbas, D, Smith, PG. Regional regulation of choroidal blood flow by autonomic innervation in the rat. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol, 279 (1), R202-9, 2000.