GEORGE A. COOK, Ph.D., B.S.
318 Crowe Research Building
- PostDoc, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, OKC, Biochemistry
- Ph.D., Auburn University, Auburn, AL, Biochemistry
- B.S., Auburn University, Auburn, AL, Zoology
- Elam, MB, Cowan, GS, Rooney, RJ, Hiler, ML, Yellaturu, CR, Deng, X, Howell, GE, Park, EA, Gerling, IC, Patel, D, Corton, JC, Cagen, LM, Wilcox, HG, Gandhi, M, Bahr, MH, Allan, MC, Wodi, LA, Cook, GA, Hughes, TA, Raghow, R. Hepatic Gene Expression in Morbidly Obese Women: Implications for Disease Susceptibility. Obesity (Silver Spring), 2009.
- Lau, KK, Yang, Y, Cook, GA, Wyatt, RJ, Nishimura, H. Control of aquaporin 2 expression in collecting ducts of quail kidneys. Gen Comp Endocrinol, 160 (3), 288-94, 2009.
- Yang, Y, Cui, Y, Fan, Z, Cook, GA, Nishimura, H. Two distinct aquaporin-4 cDNAs isolated from medullary cone of quail kidney. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol, 147 (1), 84-93, 2007.
- Sadana, P, Zhang, Y, Song, S, Cook, GA, Elam, MB, Park, EA. Regulation of carnitine palmitoyltransferase I (CPT-Ialpha) gene expression by the peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator (PGC-1) isoforms. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 267 (1-2), 6-16, 2007.
- Ma, K, Zhang, Y, Elam, MB, Cook, GA, Park, EA. Cloning of the rat pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 4 gene promoter: activation of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 4 by the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator. J Biol Chem, 280 (33), 29525-32, 2005.
- He, B, Liu, L, Cook, GA, Grgurevich, S, Jennings, LK, Zhang, XA. Tetraspanin CD82 attenuates cellular morphogenesis through down-regulating integrin alpha6-mediated cell adhesion. J Biol Chem, 280 (5), 3346-54, 2005.
- Zhang, Y, Ma, K, Song, S, Elam, MB, Cook, GA, Park, EA. Peroxisomal proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PGC-1 alpha) enhances the thyroid hormone induction of carnitine palmitoyltransferase I (CPT-I alpha). J Biol Chem, 279 (52), 53963-71, 2004.
- Lavrentyev, EN, He, D, Cook, GA. Expression of genes participating in regulation of fatty acid and glucose utilization and energy metabolism in developing rat hearts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 287 (5), H2035-42, 2004.
- Song, S, Zhang, Y, Ma, K, Jackson-Hayes, L, Lavrentyev, EN, Cook, GA, Elam, MB, Park, EA. Peroxisomal proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator (PGC-1alpha) stimulates carnitine palmitoyltransferase I (CPT-Ialpha) through the first intron. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1679 (2), 164-73, 2004.
- Lavrentyev, EN, Matta, SG, Cook, GA. Expression of three carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I isoforms in 10 regions of the rat brain during feeding, fasting, and diabetes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 315 (1), 174-8, 2004.
- Washington, L, Cook, GA, Mansbach, CM. Inhibition of carnitine palmitoyltransferase in the rat small intestine reduces export of triacylglycerol into the lymph. J Lipid Res, 44 (7), 1395-403, 2003.
- Jackson-Hayes, L, Song, S, Lavrentyev, EN, Jansen, MS, Hillgartner, FB, Tian, L, Wood, PA, Cook, GA, Park, EA. A thyroid hormone response unit formed between the promoter and first intron of the carnitine palmitoyltransferase-Ialpha gene mediates the liver-specific induction by thyroid hormone. J Biol Chem, 278 (10), 7964-72, 2003.
- Cook, GA, Longhurst, CM, Grgurevich, S, Cholera, S, Crossno, JT, Jennings, LK. Identification of CD9 extracellular domains important in regulation of CHO cell adhesion to fibronectin and fibronectin pericellular matrix assembly. Blood, 100 (13), 4502-11, 2002.
- Cook, GA, Edwards, TL, Jansen, MS, Bahouth, SW, Wilcox, HG, Park, EA. Differential regulation of carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I gene isoforms (CPT-I alpha and CPT-I beta) in the rat heart. J Mol Cell Cardiol, 33 (2), 317-29, 2001.
- Jansen, MS, Cook, GA, Song, S, Park, EA. Thyroid hormone regulates carnitine palmitoyltransferase Ialpha gene expression through elements in the promoter and first intron. J Biol Chem, 275 (45), 34989-97, 2000.
- Cook, GA, Wilkinson, DA, Crossno, JT, Raghow, R, Jennings, LK. The tetraspanin CD9 influences the adhesion, spreading, and pericellular fibronectin matrix assembly of Chinese hamster ovary cells on human plasma fibronectin. Exp Cell Res, 251 (2), 356-71, 1999.
- Cook, GA, Park, EA. Expression and regulation of carnitine palmitoyltransferase-Ialpha and -Ibeta genes. Am J Med Sci, 318 (1), 43-8, 1999.
- Steffen, ML, Harrison, WR, Elder, FF, Cook, GA, Park, EA. Expression of the rat liver carnitine palmitoyltransferase I (CPT-Ialpha) gene is regulated by Sp1 and nuclear factor Y: chromosomal localization and promoter characterization. Biochem J, 340 ( Pt 2), 425-32, 1999.
- Park, EA, Cook, GA. Differential regulation in the heart of mitochondrial carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I muscle and liver isoforms. Mol Cell Biochem, 180 (1-2), 27-32, 1998.
- Park, EA, Steffen, ML, Song, S, Park, VM, Cook, GA. Cloning and characterization of the promoter for the liver isoform of the rat carnitine palmitoyltransferase I (L-CPT I) gene. Biochem J, 330 ( Pt 1), 217-24, 1998.
- Park, EA, Mynatt, RL, Cook, GA, Kashfi, K. Insulin regulates enzyme activity, malonyl-CoA sensitivity and mRNA abundance of hepatic carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I. Biochem J, 310 ( Pt 3), 853-8, 1995.
- Kashfi, K, Cook, GA. Temperature effects on malonyl-CoA inhibition of carnitine palmitoyltransferase I. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1257 (2), 133-9, 1995.
- Kashfi, K, Cagen, L, Cook, GA. Diabetes and proteolysis: effects on carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I and malonyl-CoA binding. Lipids, 30 (5), 383-8, 1995.
- Mynatt, RL, Park, EA, Thorngate, FE, Das, HK, Cook, GA. Changes in carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I mRNA abundance produced by hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism parallel changes in activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 201 (2), 932-7, 1994.
- Mynatt, RL, Cook, GA. Modulation of the malonyl-CoA sensitivity of hepatic carnitine palmitoyltransferase (CPT) by phospholipids. Biochem Soc Trans, 22 (2), 113S, 1994.
- Mynatt, RL, Greenhaw, JJ, Cook, GA. Cholate extracts of mitochondrial outer membranes increase inhibition by malonyl-CoA of carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I by a mechanism involving phospholipids. Biochem J, 299 ( Pt 3), 761-7, 1994.
- Kashfi, K, Mynatt, RL, Cook, GA. Hepatic carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I has two independent inhibitory binding sites for regulation of fatty acid oxidation. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1212 (2), 245-52, 1994.
- Cook, GA, Mynatt, RL, Kashfi, K. Yonetani-Theorell analysis of hepatic carnitine palmitoyltransferase-I inhibition indicates two distinct inhibitory binding sites. J Biol Chem, 269 (12), 8803-7, 1994.
- Kashfi, K, Cook, GA. Inhibition of carnitine palmitoyltransferase of the hepatic mitochondrial outer membrane (CPT-I) by 2-bromopalmitoyl-CoA. Biochem Soc Trans, 21 (4), 503S, 1993.
- Fungwe, TV, Cagen, LM, Cook, GA, Wilcox, HG, Heimberg, M. Dietary cholesterol stimulates hepatic biosynthesis of triglyceride and reduces oxidation of fatty acids in the rat. J Lipid Res, 34 (6), 933-41, 1993.
- Cook, GA, Lappi, MD. Carnitine palmitoyltransferase in the heart is controlled by a different mechanism than the hepatic enzyme. Mol Cell Biochem, 116 (1-2), 39-45, 1992.
- Mynatt, RL, Lappi, MD, Cook, GA. Myocardial carnitine palmitoyltransferase of the mitochondrial outer membrane is not altered by fasting. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1128 (1), 105-11, 1992.
- Kashfi, K, Cook, GA. Proteinase treatment of intact hepatic mitochondria has differential effects on inhibition of carnitine palmitoyltransferase by different inhibitors. Biochem J, 282 ( Pt 3), 909-14, 1992.
- Kang, ES, Lee, HJ, Boulet, J, Myers, LK, Cook, GA, Bean, W. Potential for hepatic and renal dysfunction during influenza B infection, convalescence, and after induction of secondary viremia. J Exp Pathol, 6 (1-2), 133-44, 1992.
- Kashfi, K, Cook, GA. Malonyl-CoA inhibits proteolysis of carnitine palmitoyltransferase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 178 (2), 600-5, 1991.
- Kang, ES, Galloway, MS, Bean, W, Cook, GA, Olson, G. Acute alterations in the regulation of lipid metabolism after intravascular reexposure to a single bolus of homologous virus during influenza B infection in ferrets: possible model of epiphenomena associated with influenza. Int J Exp Pathol, 72 (3), 319-27, 1991.
- Kashfi, K, Dory, L, Cook, GA. Effects of cholesterol loading of mouse macrophages on carnitine palmitoyltransferase activity and sensitivity to inhibition by malonyl-CoA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 177 (3), 1121-6, 1991.
- Kashfi, K, Israel, M, Sweatman, TW, Seshadri, R, Cook, GA. Inhibition of mitochondrial carnitine palmitoyltransferases by adriamycin and adriamycin analogues. Biochem Pharmacol, 40 (7), 1441-8, 1990.
- Cook, GA, Weakley, LJ. Effects of starvation on the carnitine palmitoyltransferase of hepatic peroxisomes. Biochem Soc Trans, 18 (5), 988, 1990.
- Olubadewo, JO, Cook, GA, Heimberg, M. Effects of 8-N,N-diethylamino-octyl-3,4,5-trimethoxybenzoate (TMB-8) HCl and verapamil on the metabolism of free fatty acid by hepatocytes. Biochem Pharmacol, 37 (8), 1463-71, 1988.
- Cook, GA, Khan, B, Heimberg, M. Feeding of lovastatin to rats increases the activity of the hepatic mitochondrial outer carnitine palmitoyltransferase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 150 (3), 1077-82, 1988.