FRIDTJOF THOMAS, Ph.D.
Biostatistics & Epidemiology
633 Doctors Office Building
- Ph.D., Dept of Statistics, Stockholm University, Sweden, Statistics (2001)
- M.S., Stockholm University, Sweden, Double major: Economics and Statistics (1995)
I am the co-investigator/biostatistician on several NIH funded studies and am course director of “Applied Survival Analysis” in the Master of Science in Epidemiology Program at the UTHSC College of Graduate Health Sciences.
I am a member of the Biostatistics Collaborative Core at the Southeast Regional Center of the NHLBI-funded Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) study that has recruited over 160,000 women in over 40 clinical centers nationwide and am a member of the Design and Analysis Committee of the NIH-funded EARLY trials (Early Adult Reduction of weight through LifestYle intervention).
I have served as grant reviewer for the Department of Defense’s Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (CDMRP) and for the NIH Neurological, Aging and Musculoskeletal Epidemiology Study Section (NAME). In addition, I serve as Vice President of the Western Tennessee Chapter of the American Statistical Association (WTASA) and I am Associate Editor of the Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation (JSCS).
Applied Survival Analysis in the Master of Science in Epidemiology Program at UTHSC College of Graduate Health Sciences (3 credit hours, spring 2010, fall 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014: BIOE 842).
The BioConductor software package: Guest lecture in the course Genetic Epidemiology directed by Dr. Krushkal (single lecture: 10/23/09, 11/12/10, 11/11/11; BIOE 824)
Application of Statistical Methods Using R Software in the Master of Science in Epidemiology Program at UTHSC College of Graduate Health Sciences (3 credit hours, spring 2009: BIOE 840 Special Topics‐Section 005 APP STAT METH R SFTWR).
Bayesian Approaches in Biostatistics in the Master of Science in Epidemiology Program at UTHSC College of Graduate Health Sciences (3 credit hours, spring 2008: BIOE 840 Special Topics‐Section 004 Bayesian Approaches in Biostatistics).
Independent Study “Understanding Sources of Bias in Observational Studies with Application to Data Regarding Hospitalized Patients with Severe Hypernatremia” in the Master’s in Epidemiology Program at UTHSC College of Graduate Health Sciences (2 credit hours, spring 2008).
- Nan, H., Hutter, C. M., Lin, Y., (...), Thomas, F., (...) et al.. Association of aspirin and NSAID use with risk of colorectal cancer according to genetic variants. JAMA, 11 (313), 1133-42, 2015.
- Patil R, Szabó E, Fells JI, Balogh A, Lim KG, Fujiwara Y, Norman DD, Lee SC, Balazs L, Thomas F, Patil S, Emmons-Thompson K, Boler A, Strobos J, McCool SW, Yates CR, Stabenow J, Byrne GI, Miller DD, Tigyi GJ. Combined Mitigation of the Gastrointestinal and Hematopoietic Acute Radiation Syndromes by an LPA(2) Receptor-Specific Nonlipid Agonist. Chem Biol., 2 (22), 206-16, 2015.
- Sullivan SD, Lehman A, Thomas F, Johnson KC, Jackson R, Wactawski-Wende J, et al.. Effects of self-reported age at nonsurgical menopause on time to first fracture and bone mineral density in the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. Menopause (Epub 2015/03/25), 2015.
- Brandon, T. H., Klesges, R. C., Ebbert, J. O., Talcott, G. W., Thomas, F., Leroy, K., Richey, P. A., Colvin, L.. Preventing smoking initiation or relapse following 8.5 weeks of involuntary smoking abstinence in basic military training: Trial design, interventions, and baseline data. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 38 (1), 28-36, 2014.
- Park SL, Caberto CP, Lin Y, Goodloe RJ, Dumitrescu L, Love S, Matise T, Hindorff LA, Fowke JH, Schumacher FR, Beebe-Dimmer J, Chen C, Lifang Hou L, Thomas F, Deelman E, Han Y, Peters U, North KE, Heiss G, Crawford DC, Haiman CA, Wilkens LR, Bush WS, Kooperberg C, Cheng I, Le Marchand L.. Association of Cancer Susceptibility Variants with Risk of Multiple Primary Cancers: the Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology Study. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention, 2014.
- Bavry, A. A., F. Thomas, M. Allison, K. C. Johnson, B. V. Howard, M. Hlatky, J. E. Manson, and M. C. Limacher. Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Women: Results From the Women's Health Initiative. Circulation Cardiovascular quality and outcomes, 2014.
- Julia Krushkal, LauraE Murphy, FrederickB Palmer, J. Carolyn Graff, ThomasR Sutter, Khyobeni Mozhui, CollinA Hovinga, Fridtjof Thomas, Vicki Park, FrancesA Tylavsky, RonaldM Adkins. Epigenetic Analysis of Neurocognitive Development at 1 year of Age in a Community-Based Pregnancy Cohort. Behav Genet., 1-13, 2014.
- Kantor, E. D., C. M. Hutter, J. Minnier, S. I. Berndt, H. Brenner, B. J. Caan, P. T. Campbell, (...), F. Thomas, (...), E. White. Gene-environment interaction involving recently identified colorectal cancer susceptibility loci. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention, 2014.
- Megan Jodene Olson Hunt, Lisa Weissfeld, Robert M Boudreau, Howard Aizenstein, Anne B Newman, Eleanor M Simonsick, Dane R Van Domelen, Fridtjof Thomas, Kristine Yaffe, Caterina Rosano. A variant of sparse partial least squares for variable selection and data exploration. Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, 8 (18), 2014.
- Hoffmann, T. J., H. Tang, T. A. Thornton, B. Caan, M. Haan, A. E. Millen, F. Thomas, and N. Risch. Genome-wide association and admixture analysis of glaucoma in the Women's Health Initiative. Hum Mol Genet, 2014.
- Cashion, A.K., Hathaway, D.K., Stanfill, A., Thomas, F., Ziebarth, J.D., Cui, Y., Cowan, P.A., and Eason, J.. Pre-transplant predictors of one year weight gain after kidney transplantation. Clinical Transplantation, 2014.
- Y. Huang, L. Van Horn, L. F. Tinker, M. L. Neuhouser, L. Carbone, Y. Mossavar-Rahmani, F. Thomas, and R. L. Prentice. Measurement Error Corrected Sodium and Potassium Intake Estimation Using 24-Hour Urinary Excretion. Hypertension, 2013.
- Robert C. Klesges, Wayne Talcott, Jon Ebbert, James G. Murphy, Meghan E. McDevitt-Murphy, Fridtjof Thomas, Gregory J. Reese, Rena A. Nicholas. Effect of the Alcohol Misconduct Prevention Program (Ampp) in Air Force Technical Training. Military Medicine, 178 (4), 445-51, 2013.
- Prentice, Ross L., Marian L. Neuhouser, Lesley F. Tinker, Mary Pettinger, Cynthia A. Thomson, Yasmin Mossavar-Rahmani, Fridtjof Thomas, Lihong Qi, and Ying Huang. An Exploratory Study of Respiratory Quotient Calibration and Association with Postmenopausal Breast Cancer. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention (Online October 9, 2013 2013, DOI 10.1158/1055-9965.epi-13-0511), 2013.
- Laura Carbone, Amy S. Chin, Todd A. Lee, Stephen P. Burns, Jelena N. Svircev, Helen Hoenig, Titilola Akhigbe, Fridtjof Thomas, Lauren Bailey, Frances Weaver. The Association of Anticonvulsant Use with Fractures in Spinal Cord Injury. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (accepted), 12 (92), 1037-50, 2013.
- J. Y. Tang, M. T. Henderson, T. Hernandez-Boussard, J. Kubo, M. Desai, S. T. Sims, V. Aroda, F. Thomas, A. McTiernan, and M. L. Stefanick. Lower Skin Cancer Risk in Women with Higher Body Mass Index: The Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention, 12 (22), 2412-5, 2013.
- Cashion, Ann, Ansley Stanfill, Fridtjof Thomas, Lijing Xu, Thomas Sutter, James Eason, Mang Ensell, and Ramin Homayouni. Expression Levels of Obesity-Related Genes Are Associated with Weight Change in Kidney Transplant Recipients. PLoS ONE, 3 (8), 2013.
- S. Yoneyama, Y. Guo, M. B. Lanktree, (...), F. Thomas, (...), K. C. Taylor. Gene-centric meta-analyses for central adiposity traits in up to 57,412 individuals of European descent confirm known loci and reveal several novel associations. Hum Mol Genet., 2013.
- C. S. Carlson, T. C. Matise, K. E. North, C. A. Haiman, M. D. Fesinmeyer, S. Buyske, F. R. Schumacher, U. Peters, N. Franceschini, M. D. Ritchie, D. J. Duggan, K. L. Spencer, L. Dumitrescu, C. B. Eaton, F. Thomas, A. Young, C. Carty, G. Heiss, L. Le Marchand, D. C. Crawford, L. A. Hindorff, C. L. Kooperberg, and Page Consortium. Generalization and dilution of association results from European GWAS in populations of non-European ancestry: the PAGE study. PLoS biology, 9 (11), 2013.
- Mark A. Espeland, Mary Pettinger, Karen L. Falkner, Sally A. Shumaker, Marian Limacher, Fridtjof Thomas, Kathryn E. Weaver, Marcia L. Stefanick, Cynthia McQuellon, Julie R. Hunt, and Karen C. Johnson. Demographic and health factors associated with enrollment in post-trial studies: The Women’s Health Initiative Hormone Therapy Trials. Clinical Trials. 2013. doi: 10.1177/1740774513477931, 2013.
- P. Desai, R. Chlebowski, J. A. Cauley, J. E. Manson, C. Wu, L. W. Martin, A. Jay, C. Bock, M. Cote, N. Petrucelli, C. A. Rosenberg, U. Peters, I. Agalliu, N. Budrys, M. Abdul-Hussein, D. Lane, J. Luo, H. L. Park, F. Thomas, J. Wactawski-Wende, and M. S. Simon. Prospective analysis of association between statin use and breast cancer risk in the women's health initiative. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention, 10 (22), 1868-76, 2013.
- Phyllis Richey, Robert C. Klesges, Gerald W. Talcott, Maggie DeBon, Catherine Womack, Fridtjof Thomas, Ann Hryshko-Mullen. Efficacy of a smoking quit line in the military: Baseline design and analysis. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 5 (33), 959-68, 2012.
- Gong J, Hutter CM, Baron JA, Berndt SI, Caan BJ, Campbell PT, Casey G, Chan AT, Cotterchio M, Fuchs CS, Gallinger S, Giovannucci E, Harrison TA, Hayes RB, Hsu L, Jiao S, Lin Y, Lindor NM, Newcomb PA, Pflugeisen BM, Phipps AI, Rohan TE, Schoen RE, Seminara D, Slattery ML, Stelling DL, Thomas F, Warnick GS, White E, Potter JD, Peters U. A pooled analysis of smoking and colorectal cancer: timing of exposure and interactions with environmental factors. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention [doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.epi-12-0692], 2012.
- Mangino M, Hwang SJ, Spector TD, Hunt SC, Kimura M, Fitzpatrick AL, Christiansen L, Petersen I, Elbers CC, Harris T, Chen W, Srinivasan SR, Kark JD, Benetos A, El Shamieh S, Visvikis-Siest S, Christensen K, Berenson GS, Valdes AM, Viñuela A, Garcia M, Arnett DK, Broeckel U, Province MA, Pankow JS, Kammerer C, Liu Y, Nalls M, Tishkoff S, Thomas F, Ziv E, Psaty BM, Bis JC, Rotter JI, Taylor KD, Smith E, Schork NJ, Levy D, Aviv A. Genome-wide meta-analysis points to CTC1 and ZNF676 as genes regulating telomere homeostasis in humans. Human Molecular Genetics [doi: 10.1093/hmg/dds382], 2012.
- Tranah GJ, Nalls MA, Katzman SM, Yokoyama JS, Lam ET, Zhao Y, Mooney S, Thomas F, Newman AB, Liu Y, Cummings SR, Harris TB, Yaffe K. Mitochondrial DNA Sequence Variation Associated with Dementia and Cognitive Function in the Elderly. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease [Epub ahead of print, doi: 10.3233/jad-2012-120466], 2012.
- Culver, A. L., I. S. Ockene, R. Balasubramanian, B. C. Olendzki, D. M. Sepavich, J. Wactawski-Wende, J. E. Manson, Y. Qiao, S. Liu, P. A. Merriam, C. Rahilly-Tierny, F. Thomas, J. S. Berger, J. K. Ockene, J. D. Curb and Y. Ma. Statin Use and Risk of Diabetes Mellitus in Postmenopausal Women in the Women's Health Initiative. Arch Intern Med., 2 (172), 144-52, 2012.
- Adkins RM, Krushkal J, Tylavsky FA, Thomas F. Racial differences in gene-specific DNA methylation levels are present at birth. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology (91), 728-736, 2011.
- Tang JY, Spaunhurst KM, Chlebowski RT, Wactawski-Wende J, Keiser E, Thomas F, Anderson ML, Zeitouni NC, Larson JC, and Stefanicket ML. Menopausal Hormone Therapy and Risks of Melanoma and Nonmelanoma Skin Cancers: Women’s Health Initiative Randomized Trials. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 19 (103), 1469-75, 2011.
- Adkins R, Thomas F, Tylavsky F, Krushkal J. Parental ages and levels of DNA methylation in the newborn are correlated. BMC Medical Genetics, 2011.
- Yevgeniy Shildkrot, Fridtjof Thomas, Adham Al-Hariri, Constance L. Fry, Barrett G. Haik, Matthew W. Wilson. Socioeconomic Factors and Diagnosis of Uveal Melanoma in the Mid-Southern United States. Current Eye Research, 9 (36), 824-30, 2011.
- Yin, Jinggang, Fridtjof Thomas, John C. Lang, and Edward Chaum. Modulation of Oxidative Stress Responses in the Human Retinal Pigment Epithelium Following Treatment with Vitamin C. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 8 (226), 2025-32, 2011.
- Lindberg G, Hultkrantz L, Nilsson J-E, Thomas F. Payer selon sa vitesse. Deux expériences de terrain destinées à limiter le risque de sélection adverse et le risque moral dans le secteur de l’assurance automobile [Pay-as-you-speed. Results from two field experiments...]. Les Cahiers Scientifiques du Transport [Scientific Notebooks of Transportation published by the French Association of Institutes for Transportation and Logistics, ISSN 1150-8809] (57), 117-139, 2010.
- Chaum, Edward, Jinggang Yin, Huaitao Yang, Fridtjof Thomas, and John C. Lang. Quantitative AP-1 Gene Regulation by Oxidative Stress in the Human Retinal Pigment Epithelium. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 6 (108), 1280-1291, 2009.
- Onar, A., Thomas, F., Choubane, B., and Byron, T. Bayesian Degradation Modeling in Accelerated Pavement Testing with Estimated Transformation Parameter for the Response. Journal of Transportation Engineering, 12 (133), 677-687, 2007.
- Onar, Arzu, Fridtjof Thomas, Bouzid Choubane, and Tom Byron. Statistical Mixed Effects Models for Evaluation and Prediction of Accelerated Pavement Testing Results. Journal of Transportation Engineering, 10 (132), 771-780, 2006.
- Thomas, F. Automated Road Segmentation Using a Bayesian Algorithm. Journal of Transportation Engineering, 8 (131), 591-598, 2005.
- Thomas, F., Weninger-Vycudil, A., and Simanek, P. Automated Segmentation of Pavement Measurements Based on Bayesian Ideas: Experiences from Austria. Proceedings 6th International Conference on Managing Pavements, 19-24 October 2004, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 2004.
- Thomas, F. Statistical Approach to Road Segmentation. Journal of Transportation Engineering, 3 (129), 300-308, 2003.