Debbie C. Byrd, PharmD, BCPS
Professor and Associate Dean, Professional Affairs
1924 Alcoa Highway, Box 117
Harvard Graduate School of Education
Management Development Program
ASHP Accredited Primary Care Specialty Residency
National Institutes of Health
ASHP Accredited Pharmacy Practice Residency
The Regional Medical Center at Memphis
University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy
Honors and Awards
Academic Leadership Fellows Program, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP); Alexandria, Virginia; August 2006 – July 2007
University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy Class of 2009 Recognition for Leadership and Dedication to the Knoxville Campus; Memphis, Tennessee; May 28, 2009
Auburn University Harrison School of Pharmacy Preceptor of Excellence Award; Auburn, Alabama; April 2003
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
Tennessee Pharmacist Association
Tennessee Society of Pharmacists
Tennessee Society of Student Pharmacists
Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS)
Byrd DC, Ray SM. “Managing Conflict and Building Consensus.” Pharmacy Management, Leadership, Marketing, and Finance. Eds. Chisholm-Burns, MA, Vaillancourt, AM, Shepherd, M. Sudbury: Jones and Bartlett, 2012.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
1. Farland M, Byrd DC, McFarland MS, Thomas JL, Franks AS, George CM, Gross B, Guirguis AB, Suda KJ. Pharmacist-physician collaboration for diabetes care: the Diabetes Initiative Program. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2013 (in press).
2. Wheeler J, Ray SM, Byrd DC. A longitudinal learning experience to prepare residents for a career in academia. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning 2013 (in press).
3. Helmer RS, Ray SM, Byrd DC. Perceptions of health literacy’s incorporation in pharmacy training programs. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association 2013 (in press).
4. McClellan NH, Byrd DC, Brown RO. Capacity ratios to assess the solvency of a college’s advanced pharmacy practice experience program. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2013;77(2):Article 28.
5. Haswell JH, Byrd DC, Foster S, Brown RO. The use of capacity ratios in introductory pharmacy practice experiences. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2012;76(9):Article 172.
6. Farland MZ, Franks AS, Byrd DC, Thomas JL, Suda KJ. Development of a Primary Care Pharmacist Practice-Based Research Network. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning 2012(4):150–154.
7. Fox BI, Andrus MR, Hester EK, Byrd DC. Selecting an intervention documentation system in an academic setting. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2011; 75(2):Article 37.
8. Wang J, Thomas JL, Byrd DC, Nola K, Liu J. Status of diabetes care among community pharmacy users with diabetes: an analysis of the Medical Expenditure Panel survey. Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association 2010;50(4):478-484.
9. Brackett PD, Byrd DC, Duke LJ, et al. Barriers to expanding advanced pharmacy practice experience site availability in an experiential education consortium. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2009;73:82.
10. Robles JR, Youmans SL, Byrd DC, Polk RE. Perceived barriers to scholarship and research among pharmacy practice faculty. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2009;73:17.
11. Duke LJ, Unterwagner WL, Byrd DC. Establishment of a multi-state experiential pharmacy program consortium. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2008:72:62.
12. Sheaffer EA, Brown, BK, Byrd DC, Gupchup GV, Mark SM, MS, Mobley Smith MA, Rospond RM. Variables impacting an academic pharmacy career choice. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 2008:72:49.
13. Clark DB, Andrus MR, Byrd DC. Drug interactions between Linezolid and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: case report involving sertraline and review of the literature. Pharmacotherapy 2006;26(2):269-76.
14. Smith RE, Byrd DC, Olin BR, Staton A. Development of a profile system to display exemplary pharmacy practice experiential sites [article on the internet]. Alexandria, VA: American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy; 2005 [cited 2006 Jun 19]. Available from: http://www.aacp.org/resources/education/APPI/Documents/ExemplaryPPEs.pdf
15. McGriff-Lee, Csako G, Chen JT, Dang DK, Rosenfeld KG, Cannon RO, Macklin LR, Wesley RA, Anticoagulation Working Group. Search for predictors of nontherapeutic INR results with warfarin therapy. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2005;39:1996-2002.
16. Clark DB, Byrd DC, Andrus MR, Rogers T, Martin TA. Decreasing costs and optimizing therapy of erythropoietic medications in a hospital-based outpatient cancer treatment center. Hospital Pharmacy 2005;40(9):788-795.
17. Taylor CT, Byrd DC, Buring SM, Krueger J. Integration of pharmacotherapy poster presentations into the advanced practice experience. Journal of Pharmacy Teaching 2004;11(1):1-21.