CHRISTOPHER M. WATERS, Ph.D., M.S., B.S.E.
Professor and Vice Chair
201 Nash Research Building
- PostDoc, Vanderbilt University, Biomedical Engineering
- Ph.D., Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, Biomedical Engineering
- Ph.D., Vanderbilt University, Biomedical Engineering
- M.S., University of Miami (FL), Biomedical Engineering
- M.S., University of Miami (FL), Biomedical Engineering
- B.S.E., University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chemical Engineering
My laboratory focuses on two main areas: (1) acute lung injury, and (2) drug transport in the brain.
acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), blood-cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), blood-cerebrospinal barrier (BCB), blood-brain barrier (BBB), P-glycoprotein (P-gp), ATP-binding cassette, CNS tumors, multi-drug resistance protein 4 (MRP4), breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP or ABCG2),
- Desai, LP, Chapman, KE, Waters, CM. Mechanical stretch decreases migration of alveolar epithelial cells through mechanisms involving Rac1 and Tiam1. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 295 (5), L958-65, 2008.
- Narang, VS, Fraga, C, Kumar, N, Shen, J, Throm, S, Stewart, CF, Waters, CM. Dexamethasone increases expression and activity of multidrug resistance transporters at the rat blood-brain barrier. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 295 (2), C440-50, 2008.
- Wagh, AA, Roan, E, Chapman, KE, Desai, LP, Rendon, DA, Eckstein, EC, Waters, CM. Localized elasticity measured in epithelial cells migrating at a wound edge using atomic force microscopy. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 295 (1), L54-60, 2008.
- Xi, Q, Adebiyi, A, Zhao, G, Chapman, KE, Waters, CM, Hassid, A, Jaggar, JH. IP3 Constricts Cerebral Arteries via IP3 Receptor-Mediated TRPC3 Channel Activation and Independently of Sarcoplasmic Reticulum Ca2+ Release. Circ Res, 2008.
- Sinclair, SE, Molthen, RC, Haworth, ST, Dawson, CA, Waters, CM. Airway strain during mechanical ventilation in an intact animal model. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 176 (8), 786-94, 2007.
- Kumar, N, Mishra, J, Narang, VS, Waters, CM. Janus kinase 3 regulates interleukin 2-induced mucosal wound repair through tyrosine phosphorylation of villin. J Biol Chem, 282 (42), 30341-5, 2007.
- Desai, LP, Sinclair, SE, Chapman, KE, Hassid, A, Waters, CM. High tidal volume mechanical ventilation with hyperoxia alters alveolar type II cell adhesion. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 293 (3), L769-78, 2007.
- Zhuang, Y, Fraga, CH, Hubbard, KE, Hagedorn, N, Panetta, JC, Waters, CM, Stewart, CF. Topotecan central nervous system penetration is altered by a tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Cancer Res, 66 (23), 11305-13, 2006.
- Motl, S, Zhuang, Y, Waters, CM, Stewart, CF. Pharmacokinetic considerations in the treatment of CNS tumours. Clin Pharmacokinet, 45 (9), 871-903, 2006.
- Ceacareanu, AC, Ceacareanu, B, Zhuang, D, Chang, Y, Ray, RM, Desai, L, Chapman, KE, Waters, CM, Hassid, A. Nitric oxide attenuates IGF-I-induced aortic smooth muscle cell motility by decreasing Rac1 activity: essential role of PTP-PEST and p130cas. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 290 (4), C1263-70, 2006.
- Geiger, R.C., Waters, C.M.. KGF prevents DNA damage in ARPE-19 cells. Investigative Opthamalogy & Visual Science, 46, 3435-3441, 2005.
- Chapman, K.E., S.E. Sinclair, A. Hassid, D. Zhuang, L.P. Desai, and C.M. Waters. Cyclic mechanical strain increases reactive oxygen species production in pulmonary epithelial cells. American Journal of Physiology: Lung Cellular Molecular Physiology, 289, 834-841, 2005.
- Desai, LP, Aryal, AM, Ceacareanu, B, Hassid, A, Waters, CM. RhoA and Rac1 are both required for efficient wound closure of airway epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 287 (6), L1134-44, 2004.
- Ahmed, A, Waters, CM, Leffler, CW, Jaggar, JH. Ionic mechanisms mediating the myogenic response in newborn porcine cerebral arteries. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 287 (5), H2061-9, 2004.
- Tomar, A, Wang, Y, Kumar, N, George, S, Ceacareanu, B, Hassid, A, Chapman, KE, Aryal, AM, Waters, CM, Khurana, S. Regulation of cell motility by tyrosine phosphorylated villin. Mol Biol Cell, 15 (11), 4807-17, 2004.
- Leggas, M, Zhuang, Y, Welden, J, Self, Z, Waters, CM, Stewart, CF. Microbore HPLC method with online microdialysis for measurement of topotecan lactone and carboxylate in murine CSF. J Pharm Sci, 93 (9), 2284-95, 2004.
- Zhuang, D, Ceacareanu, AC, Lin, Y, Ceacareanu, B, Dixit, M, Chapman, KE, Waters, CM, Rao, GN, Hassid, A. Nitric oxide attenuates insulin- or IGF-I-stimulated aortic smooth muscle cell motility by decreasing H2O2 levels: essential role of cGMP. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 286 (6), H2103-12, 2004.
- Savla, U., L.E. Olson, and C.M. Waters. Mathematical modeling of airway epithelial wound closure during cyclic mechanical strain. Journal of Applied Physiology, 96, 566-574, 2004.
- Waters, C.M.. Reactive oxygen species in mechanotransduction, Editorial comment. American Journal of Physiology: Lung Cellular Molecular Physiology, 287, L484-L485, 2004.
- Boardman, K.C., W.M. Miller, and C.M. Waters. Actin redistribution in response to hydrogen peroxide in airway epithelial cells. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 199, 57-66, 2004.
- Leffler, CW, Balabanova, L, Fedinec, AL, Waters, CM, Parfenova, H. Mechanism of glutamate stimulation of CO production in cerebral microvessels. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 285 (1), H74-80, 2003.
- Waters, CM, Sporn, PH, Liu, M, Fredberg, JJ. Cellular biomechanics in the lung. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 283 (3), L503-9, 2002.
- Chapman, K.E., C.M. Waters, and W.M. Miller. Continuous exposure of airway epithelial cells to hydrogen peroxide: protection by KGF. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 192, 71-80, 2002.
- Haber,R., J.B. Grotberg, M.R. Glucksberg, G. Miserocci, D. Venturoli, M. Del Fabbro and C.M. Waters. Steady_state pleural fluid flow and the effects of lung buoyancy. Journal of Biomechanic Engineering, 123, 485-492, 2001.
- Waters, C.M., M.R. Glucksberg, E.P. Lautenschlager, C.-W. Lee, R.M. VanMatre, R.J. Warp, U. Salva, K.E. Healy, B. Moran, D.G. Castner, and J.P. Bearinger. A system to impose prescribed homogeneous strains on cultured cells. Journal of Applied Physiology, 91, 1600-1610, 2001.
- Salva, U., H.J. Appel, P.H.S. Sporn, and C.M. Waters. Prostaglandin E2 regulates wound closure of airway epithelial cells. American Journal of Physiology: Lung Cellular Molecular Physiology, 280, L421-L431, 2001.
- Waters, C.M., T.C. Krejcie, and M.A. Avram. Facilitated uptake of fentanyl, but not alfentanil, by human pulmonary endothelial cells. Anesthesiology, 93, 825-831, 2000.
- Albuquerque, M.L., C.M. Waters, U. Salva, H.W. Schnaper, and A. Flozak. Shear stress enhances human endothelial cell wound closure. American Journal of Physiology: Heart Circulation Physiology, 279, H293-H302, 2000.
- Waters, C.M., K. Ridge, G. Sunio, K. Venetsanou, and J.I. Sznajder. Mechanical stretching of alveolar epithelial cells increases Na,K-ATPase activity. Journal of Applied Physiology, 87, 715-721, 1999.
- Waters, C.M., M.A. Avram, T.C. Krejcie, and T.K. Henthorn. Uptake of fentanyl in pulmonary endothelium. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 288, 157-163, 1999.
- Gillis, P., U. Salva, O.V. Volpert, B. Jimenez, C.M. Waters. Keratinocyte growth factor induces angiogenesis and protects endothelial barrier function. Journal of Cell Science, 112, 2049-2057, 1999.
- Waters, C.M., and U. Salva. Keratinocyte growth factor accelerates wound closure in airway epithelium during cyclic mechanical strain. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 181, 424-432, 1999.
- Salva, U and C.M. Waters. Mechanical strain inhibits repair of airway epithelium in vitro. American Journal of Physiology, 274, L883-L892, 1998.
- Salva, U. and C.M. Waters. Barrier function of airway epithelium: effects of radiation and protection by keratinocyte growth factor. Radiation Research, 150, 195-203, 1998.
- Wagers, A.J., C.M. Waters, L.M. Stoolman, and G.S. Kansas. Interleukin 12 and interleukin 4 control T cell adhesion to endothelial selectins through opposite effects on a 1,3-fucosyltransferase VIi gene expression. Journal of Experimental Medicine, 188, 2225-2231, 1998.
- Salva, U., P.H.S. Sporn, and C.M. Waters. Cyclic stretch of airway epithelum inhibits prostanoid synthesis. American Journal of Physiology, 273, L1013-1019, 1997.
- Rezania, A., C.H. Thomas, A.B. Branger, C.M. Waters, and K.E. Healy. The detachment strength and morphology of bone cells contacting materials modified with a peptide derived form bone sialoprotein. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 37, 9-19, 1997.
- Waters, C.M., U. Salva, and R. Pancos. Keratinocyte growth factor prevents hydrogen peroxide-induced increases in airway epithelial cell permeability. American Journal of Physiology, 272, L681-L689, 1997.
- Waters, C.M., J. Chang, M.R. Glucksburg, N. DePaola, and J.B. Grotberg. Mechanical forces after growth factor release by pleural mesothelial cells. American Journal of Physiology, 272, L552-L557, 1997.
- Waters, C.M.. Flow-induced modulation of the permeability of endothelial cells cultured on microcarrier beads. Journal of Celluar Physiology, 168, 403-411, 1996.
- Waters,C.M., J. Taylor, A. Molteni, and W.F. Ward. Dose-response effects of radiation on endothelial cell permeability in culture. Radiation Research, 146, 321-328, 1996.
- Waters, C.M., M.R. Glucksberg, N. DePaola, J. Chang, and J.B. Grotberg. Shear stress alters pleural mesothelial cell permeability in culture. Journal of Applied Physiology, 81, 448-458, 1996.
- Sorkin, A., C.M. Waters, K.A. Overholser, and G. Carpenter. Multiple autophosphorylation site mutations of the epidermal growth factor receptor: analysis of kinase activity and endocytosis. J. Biology Chemistry, 266, 8355-8362, 1991.
- Waters, C.M., K.O.Oberg, G. Carpenter, and K.A. Overholser. Rate constants for binding, dissociation, and internalization of epidermal growth factor: effect of receptor occupancy and ligand concentration. Biochemistry, 29, 3563-3569, 1990.