COURTNEY B. SHIRES, MD
Fellowship trained in Head & Neck Surgical Oncology, Skull Base Surgery
Site Training Director, Methodist University Hospital
420 910 MADISON BUILDING
910 MADISON AVENUE
MEMPHIS TN 38163
- Subspecialty Certificate, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Head & Neck and Skull Base Surgery
- Board Cert., University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery
- B.S., Mississippi Southern College, Biology
- B.S., Mississippi College, Biology
Dr. Shires has research experience dating back to an undergraduate level. She has conducted and published a variety of studies, including cadaver-based surgical studies, animal studies, clinical and systems-based reviews. Dr. Shires has authored a number of book chapters and was one of the most academically productive trainees while completing her residency at UTHSC.
Her current research interests mirror her clinical diversity: In recent years she has completed studies addressing complexity of skull base surgery, alternative surgical approaches to the pharynx, and histological and behavioral outcomes of varying surgical techniques. Dr. Shires is available to mentor medical students and otolaryngology residents in carrying out impactful research projects.
- Shires, C, Samant, S. Multiple plasma cell granulomas of the larynx in a young man. Ear Nose Throat J, 93 (3), E28-31, 2014.
- Shires, CB, Saputra, JM, King, L, Thompson, JW, Heck, DH, Sebelik, ME, Boughter, JD. Histopathological and postoperative behavioral comparison of rodent oral tongue resection: fiber-enabled CO2 laser versus electrocautery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 147 (4), 716-21, 2012.
- Langsdon, PR, Shires, CB. Chemical face peeling. Facial Plast Surg, 28 (1), 116-25, 2012.
- Langsdon, P, Shires, C, Gerth, D. Lower face-lift with extensive neck recontouring. Facial Plast Surg, 28 (1), 89-101, 2012.
- Shires, CB, Boughter, JD, Sebelik, ME. Sphenopalatine artery ligation: a cadaver anatomic study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 145 (3), 494-7, 2011.
- Shires, CB, Saputra, JM, Stocks, RM, Sebelik, ME, Boughter, JD. Effects of sensory or motor nerve deafferentation on oromotor function in mice. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 144 (6), 915-20, 2011.
- Shires, CB, Preston, T, Thompson, J. Pediatric laryngeal trauma: a case series at a tertiary children's hospital. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 75 (3), 401-8, 2011.
- Shires, CB, Anold, SL, Schoumacher, RA, Dehoff, GW, Donepudi, SK, Stocks, RM. Body mass index as an indicator of obstructive sleep apnea in pediatric Down syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 74 (7), 768-72, 2010.
- Shires, CB, Shete, MM, Thompson, JW. Management of suprastomal tracheal fibroma: introduction of a new technique and comparison with other techniques. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 73 (1), 67-72, 2009.
- Vieira, FO, El Gandour, O, Buadi, FK, Williams, GB, Shires, CB, Zafar, N. Plasmablastic lymphoma in a previously undiagnosed AIDS patient: a case report. Head Neck Pathol, 2 (2), 92-6, 2008.
- Onwubiko, C, Shires, C, Quin, LR, Swiatlo, E, McDaniel, LS. Characterization of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated from children with otitis media. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol, 50 (1), 119-25, 2007.