C. BRUCE MACDONALD, MD
Fellowship trained in Neurotology
Interests: All aspects of adult and pediatric ear disease and surgery. Congenital hearing loss, cochlear implantation, osseointegrated implanted hearing devices, radiology of the temporal bone.
LeBonheur Children's Hospital
Methodist University Hospital
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
STE. 403 910 MADISON BUILDING
910 MADISON AVENUE
MEMPHIS TN 38163
- Department of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Neurotology Fellowship
- Department of Otolaryngology, Dalhousie University Medical School, Halifax, Canada, Otolaryngology Residency
- M.D., Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada, Medicine
- M.S., University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, Chemistry
- B.S., Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Canada, Physics and Chemistry
C. Bruce MacDonald has been a faculty member of the Department of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery at UT-Memphis since 1999. He graduated with a B.Sc. (majors in chemistry and physics) from St. Mary''s University, Canada in 1975. He graduated with an M.Sc. from the University of British Columbia in 1978 completing a thesis on the photoelectron spectroscopy of multiply bonded nitrogen species. He worked for Bridco, a small chemical research company, managing a number of projects on strontium chemistry. One project involved the possible use of strontium compounds in treatment of radiation poisoning - this sparked an interest in medicine.
He graduated from Dalhousie Medical School in 1984 and stayed at Dalhousie for an Otolaryngology residency. He completed fellowship training in Neurotology at the University of Pittsburgh in 1989. He was a faculty member of the Boston University Department of Otolaryngology until 1999 when he moved to the UT-Memphis department.
- Whatley, WS, Chandra, RK, MacDonald, CB. Systemic absorption of gentamicin nasal irrigations. Am J Rhinol, 20 (3), 251-4, 2006.
- Iannaccone, A, Breuer, DK, Wang, XF, Kuo, SF, Normando, EM, Filippova, E, Baldi, A, Hiriyanna, S, MacDonald, CB, Baldi, F, Cosgrove, D, Morton, CC, Swaroop, A, Jablonski, MM. Clinical and immunohistochemical evidence for an X linked retinitis pigmentosa syndrome with recurrent infections and hearing loss in association with an RPGR mutation. J Med Genet, 40 (11), e118, 2003.
- Bauer, PW, MacDonald, CB, Cox, LC. Intratympanic gentamicin therapy for vertigo in nonserviceable ears. Am J Otolaryngol, 22 (2), 111-5, 2001.
- Milunsky, J, Suntra, C, MacDonald, CB. Congenital stapes ankylosis, broad thumbs, and hyperopia: report of a family and refinement of a syndrome. Am J Med Genet, 82 (5), 404-8, 1999.
- Melhem, ER, Shakir, H, Bakthavachalam, S, MacDonald, CB, Gira, J, Caruthers, SD, Jara, H. Inner ear volumetric measurements using high-resolution 3D T2-weighted fast spin-echo MR imaging: initial experience in healthy subjects. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol, 19 (10), 1819-22, 1999.
- MacDonald, CB, Bauer, PW, Cox, LC, McMahon, L. Otologic findings in a pediatric cohort with sickle cell disease. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 47 (1), 23-8, 1999.
- Bauer, PW, MacDonald, CB, Domanowski, GF, Fuleihan, NS. Pathologic quiz case 2: Langerhans cell histiocytosis (LCH) of the temporal bone. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 124 (12), 1395, 1397, 1998.
- Bauer, PW, MacDonald, CB, Melhem, ER. Congenital inner ear malformation. Am J Otol, 19 (5), 669-70, 1998.
- Whitehead, RE, MacDonald, CB, Melhem, ER, McMahon, L. Spontaneous labyrinthine hemorrhage in sickle cell disease. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol, 19 (8), 1437-40, 1998.
- Kessler, JL, MacDonald, CB, Cox, LC. Bizarre &quot;sawtooth&quot; tympanogram in a patient with otitis media. J Am Acad Audiol, 9 (4), 272-4, 1998.
- Levine, A, Cox, LC, MacDonald, CB. Utility of EMLA in the relief of pain associated with electroneurography. J Am Acad Audiol, 9 (1), 41-6, 1998.
- Walsh, FP, Cox, LC, MacDonald, CB. Historic perspective of the acoustic otoscope. J Am Acad Audiol, 9 (1), 35-40, 1998.
- MacDonald, CB, Melhem, ER. An approach to imaging the dizzy patient. J Neuroimaging, 7 (3), 180-6, 1997.
- Pellett, FS, Cox, LC, MacDonald, CB. Use of acoustic reflectometry in the detection of middle ear effusion. J Am Acad Audiol, 8 (3), 181-7, 1997.
- Schreibstein, JM, MacDonald, CB, Cox, LC, McMahon, L, Bloom, DL. Sudden hearing loss in sickle cell disease: a case report. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 116 (4), 541-4, 1997.
- Cox, LC, MacDonald, CB. Large vestibular aqueduct syndrome: a tutorial and three case studies. J Am Acad Audiol, 7 (2), 71-6, 1996.
- Cox, LC, MacDonald, CB. Patient with audible popping sounds emanating from the ear canal. J Am Acad Audiol, 6 (3), 261-3, 1995.
- MacDonald, CB, Hirsch, BE, Kamerer, DB, Sekhar, L. Acoustic neuroma surgery: predictive criteria for hearing preservation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 104 (1), 128, 1991.