ALESSANDRO IANNACCONE, M.D.
IANNACCONE, ALESSANDRO, M.D., M.S., F.A.B.D.A.
Director, Retinal Degeneration & Ophthalmic Genetics Service
and Lions' Visual Function Diagnostic Laboratory
Ste. 731 930 Madison Building
- Other, Fellow, American Board of Disability Analysts, Visual disability determinations
- M.S., Univ. Tennessee CGHS, Dept. Preventive Medicine, Memphis, TN, Masters of Science in Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Epidemiology
- PostDoc, University of Tennessee HSC, Department of Ophthalmology, Memphis, TN, Post-doctoral Clinical Research Fellowship, Pediatric retinal and optic nerve diseases
- PostDoc, University of Pennsylvania, Scheie Eye Institute, Philadelphia, PA, Post-doctoral Clinical Research Fellowship, Visual psychophysics & electrophysiology; ocular blood flow
- Other, Univ. La Sapienza, Inst. Ophthalmology, Rome, Italy, Residency, Ophthalmology
- M.D., Univ. La Sapienza, School of Medicine, Rome, Italy, Medicine
2012 Research to Prevent Blindness Physician Scientist Award recipient
In 2012 I was selected to receive the RPB Physician Scientist Award, given yearly to MDs actively involved in research in recognition of the quality of their research -- in this case for my ongoing research on the role of autoimmunity in age-related macular degeneration.
Knowing how many great doctors have preceded me, it is a unique and humbling privilege to have been selected for such prestigious and unique award, and I am delighted to have had the opportunity to bring such distinguished recognition to UTHSC and to HEI for the first time in the Department''s history.
I have tremendously enjoyed RPB support earlier in my career with a Career Development Award, when I started developing my career as a Physician Scientist, and this Physician Scientist Award is playing just as much a critical role in my career advancement.
Clinical Care Specialty/Interest
- Hereditary and degenerative retinal and optic nerve disorders, with special emphasis on rare and orphan diseases, including syndromic conditions with systemic involvement
- Autoimmune retinopathies and neuro-retinopathies (primary and secondary, incl. paraneoplastic)
- Toxic retinopathies/maculopathies (incl. Plaquenil maculopathy)
- Ophthalmic genetics
My clinical work and research are focused on macular and retinal degenerations, and on clinical, functional, and genetic studies of these conditions. In both my clinical work and my research, I extensively utilize visual psychophysics (interactive tests that require the collaboration of patients) and visual electrophysiology (the measurement of biological responses from the eye or the visual pathways of patients) to probe vision of patients and research participants to address diagnostic questions as much as to test research hypotheses.
Presently, stronger emphasis in my research is on age related macular degeneration (AMD), dominant and X-linked retinitis pigmentosa (RP), retinoschisis, and other X-linked disorders, recessive (ABCA4-linked) and dominant (ELOVL4-linked) Stargardt disease, Usher syndrome (RP with hearing loss) and Bardet-Biedl syndrome (RP with obesity, polydactyly, and other systemic manifestations).
In the field of AMD, I am particularly conducting multidisciplinary research investigating the relationship between serum and retinal carotenoids, inflammation, genetic factors (SNPs associated with increased AMD disease odds), autoimmunity and retinal health/disease in the elderly. These studies include in vivo measurements of the retinal content in carotenoids conducted with a psychophysical, non-invasive testing technique. Our research, initially funded by a K23 from the NEI, RPB and the International Retina Reseach Foundation, has already unveiled new findings from the study of the elderly, including previously unappreciated differences in the retinal biology and bioavailability of carotenoids between Whites and Blacks, which may have bearing on the significantly higher risk of AMD born by White people. In this context, we have also conducted studies to better understand the potential benefits of dietary supplementation with the main macular carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, on macular function and health. A dietary supplementation study with zeaxanthin to investigate further these aspects has been recently completed. Additional studies in this field are in progress.
With the support of an R21 from the NEI, studies on the role of autoimmunity in AMD have recently led to the dscovery of several macular antigens recognized by the immune system in the blood stream of AMD patients that we hypothesize may have a role in promoting AMD development and progression. Exciting studies are in progress in this emerging field, and are presently funded by an R01 grant from the NEI.
Autoimmunity is emerging as an important role player also in other retinal and optic nerve degenerative disorders, and this too has become in recent years an area of emphasis for both my research and my patient care. We are making very good progress and exciting discoveries also in this area.
I am also involved in several federally- and privately-sponsored clinical trials for the treatment of macular and retinal degenerations, as well as Phase IV clinical trials for the monitoring of possible retinotoxic side effects of systemically administered medications for the treatment of neurological disorders. The latest is a trial of valproic acid in molecularly confirmed dominant RP, sponsored by the Foundation Fighting Blindness Clinical Research Institute. We are only one of 6 sites nationwide participating in this important new trial.
- Hereditary Retinal and Optic Nerve Orphan Diseases
- Visual Electrophysiology and Psychophysics
- Syndromic Eye Diseases
- Ophthalmic Genetics
- Epidemiology of Macular Aging and Degeneration
- Nutrition, Inflammation and Retinal Health
- Autoimmune Retinal and Optic Nerve Diseases
- Clinical Trials of Retinal Degenerative Diseases
Age related macular degeneration
Hereditary Retinal Diseases
Hereditary Optic Nerve Diseases
Syndromic Eye Diseases
Epidemiology of Macular Aging and Degeneration
- Vishwanathan, R, Iannaccone, A, Scott, TM, Kritchevsky, SB, Jennings, BJ, Carboni, G, Forma, G, Satterfield, S, Harris, T, Johnson, KC, Schalch, W, Renzi, LM, Rosano, C, Johnson, EJ. Macular pigment optical density is related to cognitive function in older people. Age Ageing, 2014.
- Wang, X, Wang, H, Sun, V, Tuan, HF, Keser, V, Wang, K, Ren, H, Lopez, I, Zaneveld, JE, Siddiqui, S, Bowles, S, Khan, A, Salvo, J, Jacobson, SG, Iannaccone, A, Wang, F, Birch, D, Heckenlively, JR, Fishman, GA, Traboulsi, EI, Li, Y, Wheaton, D, Koenekoop, RK, Chen, R. Comprehensive molecular diagnosis of 179 Leber congenital amaurosis and juvenile retinitis pigmentosa patients by targeted next generation sequencing. J Med Genet, 50 (10), 674-88, 2013.
- Birch, DG, Weleber, RG, Duncan, JL, Jaffe, GJ, Tao, W, ,. Randomized trial of ciliary neurotrophic factor delivered by encapsulated cell intraocular implants for retinitis pigmentosa. Am J Ophthalmol, 156 (2), 283-292.e1, 2013.
- Danis, RP, Domalpally, A, Chew, EY, Clemons, TE, Armstrong, J, SanGiovanni, JP, Ferris, FL, ,. Methods and reproducibility of grading optimized digital color fundus photographs in the Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2 Report Number 2). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 54 (7), 4548-54, 2013.
- Branham, K, Othman, M, Brumm, M, Karoukis, AJ, Atmaca-Sonmez, P, Yashar, BM, Schwartz, SB, Stover, NB, Trzupek, K, Wheaton, D, Jennings, B, Ciccarelli, ML, Jayasundera, KT, Lewis, RA, Birch, D, Bennett, J, Sieving, PA, Andreasson, S, Duncan, JL, Fishman, GA, Iannaccone, A, Weleber, RG, Jacobson, SG, Heckenlively, JR, Swaroop, A. Mutations in RPGR and RP2 account for 15% of males with simplex retinal degenerative disease. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 53 (13), 8232-7, 2012.
- Cox, KF, Kerr, NC, Kedrov, M, Nishimura, D, Jennings, BJ, Stone, EM, Sheffield, VC, Iannaccone, A. Phenotypic expression of Bardet-Biedl syndrome in patients homozygous for the common M390R mutation in the BBS1 gene. Vision Res, 75, 77-87, 2012.
- Carboni, G, Forma, G, Bond, AD, Adamus, G, Iannaccone, A. Bilateral paraneoplastic optic neuropathy and unilateral retinal compromise in association with prostate cancer: a differential diagnostic challenge in a patient with unexplained visual loss. Doc Ophthalmol, 125 (1), 63-70, 2012.
- Burke, TR, Fishman, GA, Zernant, J, Schubert, C, Tsang, SH, Smith, RT, Ayyagari, R, Koenekoop, RK, Umfress, A, Ciccarelli, ML, Baldi, A, Iannaccone, A, Cremers, FP, Klaver, CC, Allikmets, R. Retinal phenotypes in patients homozygous for the G1961E mutation in the ABCA4 gene. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 53 (8), 4458-67, 2012.
- Jacobson, SG, Cideciyan, AV, Ratnakaram, R, Heon, E, Schwartz, SB, Roman, AJ, Peden, MC, Aleman, TS, Boye, SL, Sumaroka, A, Conlon, TJ, Calcedo, R, Pang, JJ, Erger, KE, Olivares, MB, Mullins, CL, Swider, M, Kaushal, S, Feuer, WJ, Iannaccone, A, Fishman, GA, Stone, EM, Byrne, BJ, Hauswirth, WW. Gene therapy for leber congenital amaurosis caused by RPE65 mutations: safety and efficacy in 15 children and adults followed up to 3 years. Arch Ophthalmol, 130 (1), 9-24, 2012.
- Iannaccone, A, Neeli, I, Krishnamurthy, P, Lenchik, NI, Wan, H, Gerling, IC, Desiderio, DM, Radic, MZ. Autoimmune biomarkers in age-related macular degeneration: a possible role player in disease development and progression. Adv Exp Med Biol, 723, 11-6, 2011.
- De Falco, M, Manente, L, Lucariello, A, Baldi, G, Fiore, P, Laforgia, V, Baldi, A, Iannaccone, A, De Luca, A. Localization and distribution of wolframin in human tissues. Front Biosci (Elite Ed), 4, 1986-98, 2011.
- Adamus, G, Brown, L, Schiffman, J, Iannaccone, A. Diversity in autoimmunity against retinal, neuronal, and axonal antigens in acquired neuro-retinopathy. J Ophthalmic Inflamm Infect, 1 (3), 111-21, 2011.
- Sanders, JL, Iannaccone, A, Boudreau, RM, Conley, YP, Opresko, PL, Hsueh, WC, Cummings, SR, Cawthon, RM, Harris, TB, Nalls, MA, Kritchevsky, SB, Newman, AB, ,. The association of cataract with leukocyte telomere length in older adults: defining a new marker of aging. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 66 (6), 639-45, 2011.
- Iannaccone, A, Kerr, NC, Kinnick, TR, Calzada, JI, Stone, EM. Autosomal recessive best vitelliform macular dystrophy: report of a family and management of early-onset neovascular complications. Arch Ophthalmol, 129 (2), 211-7, 2011.
- Spencer, KL, Olson, LM, Schnetz-Boutaud, N, Gallins, P, Agarwal, A, Iannaccone, A, Kritchevsky, SB, Garcia, M, Nalls, MA, Newman, AB, Scott, WK, Pericak-Vance, MA, Haines, JL. Using genetic variation and environmental risk factor data to identify individuals at high risk for age-related macular degeneration. PLoS One, 6 (3), e17784, 2010.
- Iannaccone A, Fung KH, Eyestone ME, Stone EM. Treatment of Adult-Onset Acute Macular Retinoschisis in Enhanced S-cone Syndrome With Oral Acetazolamide. Am J Ophthalmol, 2 (147), 307-312.e2, 2009.
- Philp AR, Jin M, Li S, Schindler EI, Iannaccone A, Lam BL, Weleber RG, Fishman GA, Jacobson SG, Mullins R, Travis GH, Stone EM.. Predicting the Pathogenicity of RPE65 Mutations. Human Mutation (30), 1-7, 2009.
- Miyake N, Chilton J, Psatha M, Cheng L, Andrews C, Chan WM, Law K, Crosier M, Lindsay S, Cheung M, Allen J, Gutowski NJ, Ellard S, Young E, Iannaccone A, Appukuttan B, Stout JT, Christiansen S, Ciccarelli ML, Baldi A, Campioni M, Zenteno JC, Davenport D, Mariani LE, Sahin M, Guthrie S, Engle EC. Human CHN1 mutations hyperactivate alpha2-chimaerin and cause Duane's retraction syndrome. Science, 321 (5890), 839-43, 2008.
- Lannaccone, A, Othman, MI, Cantrell, AD, Jennings, BJ, Branham, K, Swaroop, A. Retinal phenotype of an X-linked pseudo-Usher syndrome in association with the G173R mutation in the RPGR gene. Adv Exp Med Biol, 613, 221-7, 2008.
- Iannaccone, A, Gallaher, KT, Buchholz, J, Jennings, BJ, Neitz, M, Sidjanin, DJ. Identification of two novel mutations in families with X-linked ocular albinism. Mol Vis, 13, 1856-61, 2007.
- Iannaccone, A, Tedesco, SA, Gallaher, KT, Yamamoto, H, Charles, S, Dryja, TP. Fundus albipunctatus in a 6-year old girl due to compound heterozygous mutations in the RDH5 gene. Doc Ophthalmol, 115 (2), 111-6, 2007.
- Mura, M, Sereda, C, Jablonski, MM, MacDonald, IM, Iannaccone, A. Clinical and functional findings in choroideremia due to complete deletion of the CHM gene. Arch Ophthalmol, 125 (8), 1107-13, 2007.
- Gallaher, KT, Mura, M, Todd, WA, Harris, TL, Kenyon, E, Harris, T, Johnson, KC, Satterfield, S, Kritchevsky, SB, Iannaccone, A, ,. Estimation of macular pigment optical density in the elderly: test-retest variability and effect of optical blur in pseudophakic subjects. Vision Res, 47 (9), 1253-9, 2007.
- Iannaccone, A, Mura, M, Gallaher, KT, Johnson, EJ, Todd, WA, Kenyon, E, Harris, TL, Harris, T, Satterfield, S, Johnson, KC, Kritchevsky, SB. Macular pigment optical density in the elderly: findings in a large biracial Midsouth population sample. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 48 (4), 1458-65, 2007.
- Jablonski, MM, Iannaccone, A, Reynolds, DH, Gallaher, P, Allen, S, Wang, X, Reiner, A. Age-related decline in VIP-positive parasympathetic nerve fibers in the human submacular choroid. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 48 (2), 479-85, 2007.
- Iannaccone, A, Man, D, Waseem, N, Jennings, BJ, Ganapathiraju, M, Gallaher, K, Reese, E, Bhattacharya, SS, Klein-Seetharaman, J. Retinitis pigmentosa associated with rhodopsin mutations: Correlation between phenotypic variability and molecular effects. Vision Res, 46 (27), 4556-67, 2006.
- Iannaccone, A, Mura, M, Dyka, FM, Ciccarelli, ML, Yashar, BM, Ayyagari, R, Jablonski, MM, Molday, RS. An unusual X-linked retinoschisis phenotype and biochemical characterization of the W112C RS1 mutation. Vision Res, 46 (22), 3845-52, 2006.
- Vasireddy, V, Jablonski, MM, Mandal, MN, Raz-Prag, D, Wang, XF, Nizol, L, Iannaccone, A, Musch, DC, Bush, RA, Salem, N, Sieving, PA, Ayyagari, R. Elovl4 5-bp-deletion knock-in mice develop progressive photoreceptor degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 47 (10), 4558-68, 2006.
- Iannaccone, A, Mykytyn, K, Persico, AM, Searby, CC, Baldi, A, Jablonski, MM, Sheffield, VC. Clinical evidence of decreased olfaction in Bardet-Biedl syndrome caused by a deletion in the BBS4 gene. Am J Med Genet A, 132 (4), 343-6, 2005.
- Iannaccone A. The Genetics of Hereditary Retinopathies and Optic Neuropathies.. Comp. Ophthalmol. Update, 6, 39-62, 2005.
- Wang, X, Iannaccone, A, Jablonski, MM. Contribution of Müller cells toward the regulation of photoreceptor outer segment assembly. Neuron Glia Biol, 1, 1-6, 2005.
- Gruber, M, Chappell, R, Millen, A, LaRowe, T, Moeller, SM, Iannaccone, A, Kritchevsky, SB, Mares, J. Correlates of serum lutein + zeaxanthin: findings from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Nutr, 134 (9), 2387-94, 2004.
- Wang, X, Iannaccone, A, Jablonski, MM. Contribution of Müller cells toward the regulation of photoreceptor outer segment assembly. Neuron Glia Biol, 1 (3), 291-6, 2004.
- Iannaccone, A. Usher syndrome: correlation between visual field size and maximal ERG response b-wave amplitude. Adv Exp Med Biol, 533, 123-31, 2004.
- Iannaccone, A, Wang, X, Jablonski, MM, Kuo, SF, Baldi, A, Cosgrove, D, Morton, CC, Swaroop, A. Increasing evidence for syndromic phenotypes associated with RPGR mutations. Am J Ophthalmol, 137 (4), 785-6; author reply 786, 2004.
- Iannaccone, A, Kritchevsky, SB, Ciccarelli, ML, Tedesco, SA, Macaluso, C, Kimberling, WJ, Somes, GW. Kinetics of visual field loss in Usher syndrome Type II. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 45 (3), 784-92, 2004.
- Iannaccone A, Sarkisian SR, Jr, Kerr NC, Morris WR. The genetics of glaucoma, cataracts and corneal dystrophies.. Comp. Ophthalmol. Update, 5, 307-326, 2004.
- Wang, X, Iannaccone, A, Jablonski, MM. Permissive glycan support of photoreceptor outer segment assembly occurs via a non-metabolic mechanism. Mol Vis, 9, 701-9, 2003.
- Iannaccone, A, Breuer, DK, Wang, XF, Kuo, SF, Normando, EM, Filippova, E, Baldi, A, Hiriyanna, S, MacDonald, CB, Baldi, F, Cosgrove, D, Morton, CC, Swaroop, A, Jablonski, MM. Clinical and immunohistochemical evidence for an X linked retinitis pigmentosa syndrome with recurrent infections and hearing loss in association with an RPGR mutation. J Med Genet, 40 (11), e118, 2003.
- Mykytyn, K, Nishimura, DY, Searby, CC, Beck, G, Bugge, K, Haines, HL, Cornier, AS, Cox, GF, Fulton, AB, Carmi, R, Iannaccone, A, Jacobson, SG, Weleber, RG, Wright, AF, Riise, R, Hennekam, RC, LÃ¼leci, G, Berker-Karauzum, S, Biesecker, LG, Stone, EM, Sheffield, VC. Evaluation of complex inheritance involving the most common Bardet-Biedl syndrome locus (BBS1). Am J Hum Genet, 72 (2), 429-37, 2003.
- Acar, C, Mears, AJ, Yashar, BM, Maheshwary, AS, Andreasson, S, Baldi, A, Sieving, PA, Iannaccone, A, Musarella, MA, Jacobson, SG, Swaroop, A. Mutation screening of patients with Leber Congenital Amaurosis or the enhanced S-Cone Syndrome reveals a lack of sequence variations in the NRL gene. Mol Vis, 9, 14-7, 2003.
- Iannaccone A, Wang XF, Kuo SF, Baldi A, Cosgrove D, Morton CC, Swaroop A, Jablonski MM. X-linked pseudo-Usher syndrome due to mutations in the RPGR gene: A newly recognized clinical entity. J. Med. Genet., 2003.
- Koenekoop, RK, Fishman, GA, Iannaccone, A, Ezzeldin, H, Ciccarelli, ML, Baldi, A, Sunness, JS, Lotery, AJ, Jablonski, MM, Pittler, SJ, Maumenee, I. Electroretinographic abnormalities in parents of patients with Leber congenital amaurosis who have heterozygous GUCY2D mutations. Arch Ophthalmol, 120 (10), 1325-30, 2002.
- Iannaccone, A, McIntosh, N, Ciccarelli, ML, Baldi, A, Mutolo, PA, Tedesco, SA, Engle, EC. Familial unilateral Brown syndrome. Ophthalmic Genet, 23 (3), 175-84, 2002.
- Iannaccone, A, McCluney, RA, Brewer, VR, Spiegel, PH, Taylor, JS, Kerr, NC, Pivnick, EK. Visual evoked potentials in children with neurofibromatosis type 1. Doc Ophthalmol, 105 (1), 63-81, 2002.
- Breuer, DK, Yashar, BM, Filippova, E, Hiriyanna, S, Lyons, RH, Mears, AJ, Asaye, B, Acar, C, Vervoort, R, Wright, AF, Musarella, MA, Wheeler, P, MacDonald, I, Iannaccone, A, Birch, D, Hoffman, DR, Fishman, GA, Heckenlively, JR, Jacobson, SG, Sieving, PA, Swaroop, A. A comprehensive mutation analysis of RP2 and RPGR in a North American cohort of families with X-linked retinitis pigmentosa. Am J Hum Genet, 70 (6), 1545-54, 2002.
- Wohabrebbi, A, Umstot, ES, Iannaccone, A, Desiderio, DM, Jablonski, MM. Downregulation of a unique photoreceptor protein correlates with improper outer segment assembly. J Neurosci Res, 67 (3), 298-308, 2002.
- Lyubarsky, AL, Lem, J, Chen, J, Falsini, B, Iannaccone, A, Pugh, EN. Functionally rodless mice: transgenic models for the investigation of cone function in retinal disease and therapy. Vision Res, 42 (4), 401-15, 2002.
- Jablonski, MM, Tombran-Tink, J, Mrazek, DA, Iannaccone, A. Pigment epithelium-derived factor supports normal Müller cell development and glutamine synthetase expression after removal of the retinal pigment epithelium. Glia, 35 (1), 14-25, 2001.
- Mykytyn, K, Braun, T, Carmi, R, Haider, NB, Searby, CC, Shastri, M, Beck, G, Wright, AF, Iannaccone, A, Elbedour, K, Riise, R, Baldi, A, Raas-Rothschild, A, Gorman, SW, Duhl, DM, Jacobson, SG, Casavant, T, Stone, EM, Sheffield, VC. Identification of the gene that, when mutated, causes the human obesity syndrome BBS4. Nat Genet, 28 (2), 188-91, 2001.
- Jablonski, MM, Graney, MJ, Kritchevsky, SB, Iannaccone, A. Reliability assessment of a rod photoreceptor outer segment grading system. Exp Eye Res, 72 (5), 573-9, 2001.
- Iannaccone, A. Genotype-phenotype correlations and differential diagnosis in autosomal dominant macular disease. Doc Ophthalmol, 102 (3), 197-236, 2001.
- Nishimura, DY, Searby, CC, Carmi, R, Elbedour, K, Van Maldergem, L, Fulton, AB, Lam, BL, Powell, BR, Swiderski, RE, Bugge, KE, Haider, NB, Kwitek-Black, AE, Ying, L, Duhl, DM, Gorman, SW, Heon, E, Iannaccone, A, Bonneau, D, Biesecker, LG, Jacobson, SG, Stone, EM, Sheffield, VC. Positional cloning of a novel gene on chromosome 16q causing Bardet-Biedl syndrome (BBS2). Hum Mol Genet, 10 (8), 865-74, 2001.
- Jablonski, MM, Iannaccone, A. Lactose supports Muller cell protein expression patterns in the absence of the retinal pigment epithelium. Mol Vis, 7, 27-35, 2001.
- Jablonski, MM, Iannaccone, A. Targeted disruption of Müller cell metabolism induces photoreceptor dysmorphogenesis. Glia, 32 (2), 192-204, 2000.
- Jablonski, MM, Tombran-Tink, J, Mrazek, DA, Iannaccone, A. Pigment epithelium-derived factor supports normal development of photoreceptor neurons and opsin expression after retinal pigment epithelium removal. J Neurosci, 20 (19), 7149-57, 2000.
- Jacobson, SG, Cideciyan, AV, Iannaccone, A, Weleber, RG, Fishman, GA, Maguire, AM, Affatigato, LM, Bennett, J, Pierce, EA, Danciger, M, Farber, DB, Stone, EM. Disease expression of RP1 mutations causing autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 41 (7), 1898-908, 2000.
- Iannaccone, AE, DuPont, J, Grunwald, JE. Human retinal hemodynamics following administration of 5-isosorbide mononitrate. Curr Eye Res, 20 (3), 205-10, 2000.
- Grunwald, JE, Iannaccone, A, DuPont, J. Effect of isosorbide mononitrate on the human optic nerve and choroidal circulations. Br J Ophthalmol, 83 (2), 162-7, 1999.
- Iannaccone, A. Clinical and functional features of patients with dominant optic atrophy. Arch Ophthalmol, 117 (2), 287-8, 1999.
- Iannaccone A, Letizia C. Plasma endothelin-1 concentrations in patients with retinal vein occlusions.. Br. J. Ophthalmol., 83 (1), 127-128, 1999.
- Iannaccone, A, Letizia, C, Pazzaglia, S, Vingolo, EM, Clemente, G, Pannarale, MR. Plasma endothelin-1 concentrations in patients with retinal vein occlusions. Br J Ophthalmol, 82 (5), 498-503, 1998.
- Letizia, C, Iannaccone, A, Cerci, S, Santi, G, Cilli, M, Coassin, S, Pannarale, MR, Scavo, D, Iannacone, A. Circulating endothelin-1 in non-insulin-dependent diabetic patients with retinopathy. Horm Metab Res, 29 (5), 247-51, 1997.
- Iannaccone, A, De Propris, G, Roncati, S, Rispoli, E, Del Porto, G, Pannarale, MR. The ocular phenotype of the Bardet-Biedl syndrome. Comparison to non-syndromic retinitis pigmentosa. Ophthalmic Genet, 18 (1), 13-26, 1997.
- Pannarale, MR, Grammatico, B, Iannaccone, A, Forte, R, DeBernardo, C, Flagiello, L, Vingolo, EM, Del Porto, G. Autosomal-dominant retinitis pigmentosa associated with an Arg-135-Trp point mutation of the rhodopsin gene. Clinical features and longitudinal observations. Ophthalmology, 103 (9), 1443-52, 1996.
- Iannaccone, A, Vingolo, EM, Rispoli, E, De Propris, G, Tanzilli, P, Pannarale, MR. Electroretinographic alterations in the Laurence-Moon-Bardet-Biedl phenotype. Acta Ophthalmol Scand, 74 (1), 8-13, 1996.
- Iannaccone, A, Rispoli, E, Vingolo, EM, Onori, P, Steindl, K, Rispoli, D, Pannarale, MR. Correlation between Goldmann perimetry and maximal electroretinogram response in retinitis pigmentosa. Doc Ophthalmol, 90 (2), 129-42, 1995.
- Del Porto, G, Vingolo, EM, Steindl, K, Forte, R, Iannaccone, A, Rispoli, E, Pannarale, MR. Clinical heterogeneity of dominant optic atrophy: the contribution of visual function investigations to diagnosis. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol, 232 (12), 717-27, 1994.
- Vingolo, EM, Steindl, K, Forte, R, Zompatori, L, Iannaccone, A, Sciarra, A, Del Porto, G, Pannarale, MR. Autosomal dominant simple microphthalmos. J Med Genet, 31 (9), 721-5, 1994.
- Rispoli, E, Iannaccone, A, Vingolo, EM. Low-noise electroretinogram recording techniques in retinitis pigmentosa. Doc Ophthalmol, 88 (1), 27-37, 1994.
- Vingolo, EM, Rispoli, E, Zicari, D, Pannarale, L, Iannaccone, A, Fallucca, F. Electrophysiologic monitoring of diabetic retinopathy in pregnancy. Retina, 13 (2), 99-106, 1993.