Cynthia K. Russell, PhD, RN
Associate Vice Chancellor for Faculty Administration and Educational Technology,
Office of Academic, Faculty, & Student Affairs
Professor of Nursing
400 Hyman Administration Building
- Ph.D., University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, Nursing Research, Gerontology
- M.S.N., West Virginia University School of Nursing, Morgantown, WV, Nursing, Adult Health
- B.S.N., Ohio University School of Nursing, Athens, OH, Nursing
- None, Holzer Medical Center School of Nursing, Gallipolis, OH, Nursing
Research has been conducted in ...
scholarship of teaching and learning
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SOTL)
Individualized Information Literacy Skills Improvement
Qualitative Research Methods
Area of teaching/subject
My teaching has been primarily in the College of Nursing, across all the college''s degree programs. I have focused on health care informatics, program evaluation, and integrating qualitative research methods in evidence-based health care. I have worked with students in the areas of information literacy, information technology literacy, program evaluation, self-care decision making, gerontology, the chronic illness experience, qualitative research methods, and patient safety / organizational learning from error. I''ve received several teaching awards and nominations, including a Student Government Association Teaching Awards. I was one of only three nursing faculty selected to the campus Academy of Distinguished Teaching Professors.
- Russell, CK, Burchum, JR, Likes, WM, Jacob, S, Graff, JC, Driscoll, C, Britt, T, Adymy, C, Cowan, P. WebQuests: creating engaging, student-centered, constructivist learning activities. Comput Inform Nurs, 26 (2), 78-87; quiz 88-9, 2008.
- Graff, JC, Russell, CK, Stegbauer, CC. Formative and summative evaluation of a practice doctorate program. Nurse Educ, 32 (4), 173-7, 2007.
- Russell, CK, Gregory, DM, Care, WD, Hultin, D. Recognizing and avoiding intercultural miscommunication in distance education a study of the experiences of Canadian faculty and aboriginal nursing students. J Prof Nurs, 23 (6), 351-61, 2006.
- Russell, CK, Bunting, SM, Graney, M, Hartig, MT, Kisner, P, Brown, B. Factors that influence the medication decision making of persons with HIV/AIDS: a taxonomic exploration. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care, 14 (4), 46-60, 2003.
- Russell, CK, Gregory, DM. Evaluation of qualitative research studies. Evid Based Nurs, 6 (2), 36-40, 2003.
- Graney, MJ, Bunting, SM, Russell, CK. HIV/AIDS medication adherence factors: inner-city clinic patient's self-reports. Tenn Med, 96 (2), 73-8, 2003.
- Russell, CK, Gregory, DM. Capturing day-to-day aspects of living with chronic illness: the need for longitudinal designs. Can J Nurs Res, 32 (3), 99-102, 2000.
- Russell, CK, Phillips, LR, Cromwell, SL, Gregory, DM. Elder-caregiver care negotiations as dances of dependency. Sch Inq Nurs Pract, 13 (4), 283-98; discussion 299-304, 2000.
- Veeser, PI, Stegbauer, CC, Russell, CK. Developing a clinical doctorate to prepare nurses for advanced practice at the University of Tennessee, Memphis. Image J Nurs Sch, 31 (1), 39-41, 1999.
- Russell, CK, Geraci, T, Hooper, A, Shull, L, Gregory, DM. Patients' explanatory models for heart failure and COPD exacerbations. Clin Nurs Res, 7 (2), 164-88, 1998.
- Russell, CK, Bunting, SM, Gregory, DM. Protective care-receiving: the active role of care-recipients. J Adv Nurs, 25 (3), 532-40, 1997.
- Russell, CK, Gregory, DM, Wotton, D, Mordoch, E, Counts, MM. ACTION: application and extension of the GENESIS community analysis model. Public Health Nurs, 13 (3), 187-94, 1996.
- Russell, CK. Elder care recipients' care-seeking process. West J Nurs Res, 18 (1), 43-62, 1996.
- Russell, CK, Gregory, DM. Issues for consideration when choosing a qualitative data management system. J Adv Nurs, 18 (11), 1806-16, 1993.