Faculty Resource Center: 2014 - The Year of Active Learning @ UTHSC
In addition to resources posted on this page, you'll find lots of helpful information at the UTHSC Faculty Resource Center blog - click here for our active learning posts on the blog!
Have another resource we ought to post? Email Kristy Conger at firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
Active Learning Overviews
1. What is active learning?
- Video overview produced by Northwest Iowa Community College
2. Active learning overview
- Produced by Cornell University Center for Teaching Excellence
- Provides answers to questions such as:
- What is active learning?
- Why incorporate active learning?
- How can the content be covered when using active learning?
- How can active learning be incorporated into a variety of classroom settings?
3. An active-learning strategies primer for achieving ability-based educational outcomes
- American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, November 10, 2011
- Describes evidence supporting the use of active-learning strategies in pharmacy education
- Offers strategies for implementing active learning in pharmacy classroom and practice experiences
4. Learning by doing
- Richard Felder, Chemical Engineering Education, 2003
- Early look at incorporating active learning into classes. Active learning isn't as "new" as we may think!
- Watch a video clip of Dr. Felder talking about active learning in his classroom @ http://youtu.be/1J1URbdisYE
Active Learning Strategies and Activities
1. What is the flipped classroom?
- Resource page created by the Center for Teaching and Learning at the University of Texas at Austin
- Check out the 60-second overview video and chart comparing traditional and flipped classrooms
2. The flipped classroom: A course redesign to foster learning and engagement in a health professions school
- Academic Medicine (Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges)
3. Leveraging peer instruction
- The Innovative Instructor - Pedagogy Forum
- The Innovative Instructor - Technology Forum
5. Flipping the Classroom
- Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching
Lectures and Flipping the Classroom: Perspectives of Eric Mazur
1. Information on Eric Mazur
2. Twilight of the Lecture (Harvard Magazine)
3. Using Peer Instruction to Flip your Classroom: Highlights from Eric Mazur's visit to Vanderbilt School of Medicine
4. Confessions of a Converted Lecturer - Presentation given by Eric Mazur
Flipping the Classroom
1. Looking for 'Flippable' Moments in your Class?
2. The 4 Pillars of the Flipped Classroom
3. Six Expert Tips for Flipping the Classroom
4. An all-in-one Guide to learning about Flipping the Classroom
Last updated December 1, 2014